Evidence Base Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyrus44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know how other professions are but EBP is becoming very much the Norm in PT school. I feel that this will help us become better reimbused for our services if we can prove that are techniques can work. So what do you guys think. Is EBP good or bad for our profession?

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh...this is really a hot topic. My colleague and I really go at each other on this one. I favor EBP as long as it doesn't result in cookie cutter treatment protocols that squash clinical judgement and creativity. EBP also allows us to show off a little in that more legitimate practice patterns should (repeat should) come out as more effective treatments for the patient.

Ignoring EBP opens the door for the chiros and other bogus threats to our legitimate profession. There is so much more on this issue, and it's fun to talk and argue about the extremes. Truthfully is that the most reasonable opinion lies somewhere between being totally EBP and using a degree of clinical intuition and judgement.

I try to use my clinical intuition and judgement based on the best available evidence. I think simply doing this makes us stand head and shoulders above the chiros. Their clinical intuition and judgement is based in part on a seriously flawed premise. (n.b. I don't want to start a raging chiro vs pt debate here - I'm just stating my opinion)

its kinda nice to know that the vertbral artery test has a 0% sensitive and 0 % specific. So if i perform this type of test on a patient i know its useless and a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course evidence based practice is important. It allows us to be more efficient with out treatments and reach maximal outcomes. The problem at this point is the lack of literature for PT but this is steadily improving.

yeah its gaining popularity in all fields. I was brainwashed that sutff in OT school so much so that I actually became interested in research. I think it is the way health care is moving towards given the limited resources, especially finances. As a colleague of mine who is a nurse says, research is good patient care.