Dr. J?

15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
In a van down by the river
N
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Question for all of you out in the trenches...

How often do you use EBM? At my school we are currently being beat over the head with pre-test probabilities, pre-test odds, PV+, LR+, ERR, ARR, NNT, etc. I guess my question is whether these things are figured at the bedside for daily decisions or whether they are used more in the establishment of treatment protocols?

pikachu

15+ Year Member
On the other hand, EBM shouldn't just be reduced to calculating all these statistics for any given patient - it's also asking the simple question "Does the existing literature support my decision?" I would feel much more comfortable in recommending a therapy if there are good (randomized controlled) trials to back it up. And, no math, just familiarity with the literature or a willingness to look for trials that substantiate your decision making. Granted there aren't RCT's or meta-analysis available for everything (or perhaps even most things), but if the information is available from clinical trials, I think it should be used.

pikachu

15+ Year Member
This is true to a point - guidelines are definitely much more efficient than trying to review the whole body of literature on a certain subject. I still feel that it's important to be able to critically evaluate a paper on your own as well as to evaluate the literature if there are no guidelines available.

SLUsagar

rock chalk jayhawk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
Dr. J? said:

How often do you use EBM? At my school we are currently being beat over the head with pre-test probabilities, pre-test odds, PV+, LR+, ERR, ARR, NNT, etc. I guess my question is whether these things are figured at the bedside for daily decisions or whether they are used more in the establishment of treatment protocols?

if EBM means copying and pasting uptodate, then yah, tons of people use it.... :laugh:

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Dr. J? said:

My institution is really into it, too. It's especially funny to see residents get into pissing contests in front of the attending..."Well in clinical trial X they showed a NNT of Y..." "Well that study was clearly underpowered, and if you look closely they didn't even control for Z..." "Well clinical trial A had B number of participants making it the largest multicenter trial to date and showed a relative risk reduction of C..." :laugh: But I think EBM is a good thing. Half of clinical medicine is voodoo...we should be doing what works.

OP
D

Dr. J?

15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
N
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Flindophile,

That's interesting that you used to teach decisional analysis...what type of students were you teaching?

OP
D

Dr. J?

15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
N
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
For everyone,

In your experiences, what percentage of clinical decisions are made based upon personal clinical experience, EBM, or tradition?

Also, were all the rest of you introduced to EBM in your pre-clinical years?