EVMS 2-year program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CanIBeAnonymous

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, I'm currently applying to the EVMS SMP program. My MCAT was a 30 and my undergraduate GPA was a 2.65. I took an entire year of upper-division BIO courses (a total of 8) and got a 4.0, bringing my GPA just above the cut-off for EVMS' one-year program. I'm also retaking the MCAT May 19th, which is their last cut-off. I expect a decent jump as I didn't study at all the first time, on top of other issues I was having during that time period.

As for other credentials I have:
  • ~1500 hrs with American Cancer Society during my undergraduate career
  • ~150hrs volunteering with a physical therapist
  • ~45hrs shadowing an Oncologist
  • ~140hrs as a peer mentor/leadership position for my UGC.
  • ~300hrs combined as a tutor for SAT Math and Biology at a local community college
  • ~720hrs as a meditation instructor for children with behavioral issues
  • Outside that have just a bunch of part-time and full-time work experience ranging from construction, to working at a library totalling 7000+hrs
  • For Letters of Recommendation I have contacted EVMS about how I wont be able to have any LoR from professors for a few months. I was told I could substitute with LoR from someone I've done clinical activities with, shadowed, and former employer. Currently have one from the American Cancer Society representative I worked with, the Oncologist I shadowed, and the Director of a library I worked at.

I know little about acceptance rates, and was wondering if my chances are any good?
If I didn't get accepted would it then be worth applying to their 2-year program? Any other programs you could recommend? I want to get into research so if they're any programs that put extra emphasis in that area.

Thank you <3
 
Last edited: