EVMS In-State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Junior at a small but respected school majoring in Biology.

-I think I will graduate with around a 3.55 and with Honors in Bio.

-I shadowed at UVA hospital for 120+ hours.

-I will have two semesters of neuroscience research and I will be spending this summer doing research on the Thalamic Reticular Nucleus. (which my prof hints will be published)

-I am extremely involved at school (Student Govt for 3 years, leadership programs, Resident Advisor, etc.)

-I also plan on getting EMT certified during my senior year.

-I am in Chi Beta Phi and Alpha Chi Sigma and have served as treasurer of both

-I also went on a medical mission trip to Honduras with the school.

What type of MCAT (and anything else) would I need to get into EVMS?

*I plan on taking a year off to tie up the loose ends before I apply.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.6/31 are the median stats for those accepted to EVMS. With your slightly below the median GPA, it would be nice to aim for an MCAT score of 32 to compensate, though a bit less might be fine.

EC-wise your shadowing hours are terrific, being well above average; I would hope they include office-based primary care (since EVMS aims to train that type of doc). Your clinical experience, however is on the weak side with only international experience so far (about 1.5 years is average). EMT certification isn't going to be particularly helpful unless you use the training in a job or volunteer position. If you're applying in ~14 months, you'd want to get something started as soon as possible.

And some weekly nonmedical community service would be nice to see. Do you have any teaching/tutoring/TA/coaching to mention? And don't forget hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors.

Your research will be good and your leadership is very good.