azileretsis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
I have applied to EVMS's Medical Masters program.

Has anyone else applied and heard something for this year?

I had my application in for about four months now. Unlike what it says on their FAQs, I don't think they review applications until March.

Please give a shout-out.

Phil Anthropist

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
I was considering applying, but decided not to. It seems to be one of the lesser known true SMPs. So I can't help you out, but good luck!

callendm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
USA
Status
Attending Physician
You need to contact Dr. Meyer's and/or his secretary to straighten it out. They should have gotten back to you by now. Dr. M is the head of the program. If you want to get into medical school the following year, it is a good way to go. Med Masters Class of 2004 started with 15 (2 left mid semester do to nonacademic reasons); 11/13 are currently attending EVMS as first year medical students. Med Masters Class of 2005 is very strong and I forsee the same amount attending EMVS with the Class of 2009

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
In a world all my own.
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I've been thinking about the Medical Master's at EVMS for Fall 2006. Where can I get stats, info, etc? (other than the EVMS website?)

Agape

OP
A

azileretsis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
I emailed Dr. Meyers today. My "any day now" mentality wasn't working for me.

I meant to include a link to the program.
http://www.evms.edu/hlthprof/ms-bio-medical/index.html

It's not too late to apply for this year, April 1st is the deadline. There isn't much known about the program. If you do a search here in the Forums, there's probably more here about applicant profiles than on their website. Their student matriculation is very good.

I'm very interested in the program because I know the school pretty well. I'm actually writing this in their library.

Their postbacc program and medical school suits me very well. Now, if they could only figure that out.

sendwich

you rock!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
they accept about 20 students per year (on website). is it competitive to get in? i have a low gpa and am studying for the mcats

callendm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
USA
Status
Attending Physician
My roomate is currently in the Medical Master's Program. I remember looking up the application stats with him awhile back. I cannot find the 2003-2004 EVMS Statistical Data Report holding a wealth of such info (google failed).

I can tell you that the application results are hard to interpret. As a result of those who have been waitlisted at EVMS cocurrently applying to the Master's Program. Such individuals are then accepted to both programs and turn over their master's acceptance to someone else. Thus, there is a lot of shuffling. I remember a ball park figure of say 60 apply....30 accepted....18 attend (other 12 got in MD)...and eventually....15 are M1s the next year. Those odds sure beat the direct med school route (well, be it for that extra year of full tuition). Hope that helps