EVMS SMP Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kylahs said:
I would, as long as you seriously plan to honor your commitment if you are pulled off from the waitlist. That is, I think the etiquette is the same for SMPs as it is for med schools.

I'm in the top 1/3rd of the waitlist in the MD program. I am highly optimistic that I'll get in, especially with the letters I'm sending and the prayers I'm praying. Still, I was hoping that my backup, the SMP, wouldn't result in a waitlist. I'll be sending a letter of intent (carefully worded of course, being that I'm waitlisted at the MD program) within the next 2 weeks.

You're also on the waitlist, right? Which third? Did you also apply to the SMP just in case?

Wel kylahs,

I hope you get off the MD waitlist. I'll send up a prayer for you too!
;)

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know how much movement the waitlist will have?

i know i may sound a bit impatient and perhaps a little naive, but how long does it take to get off of a waitlist, and is there a chance that they will get enough acceptances to not need the waitlist?

sending all of those also on the waitlist my prayers and good luck!

kylahs said:
You're also on the waitlist, right? Which third? Did you also apply to the SMP just in case?

I am in the upper-middle third of the waitlist. I didn't apply to the SMP because I already did a similar program at BU. Being in the upper third, you should be pretty optimistic that you'll get into the MD program. Only a couple more weeks until things really start moving :D

Members don't see this ad :)
sunnyjohn said:
Wel kylahs,

I hope you get off the MD waitlist. I'll send up a prayer for you too!
;)

I appreciate it.

reversescorpion said:
i know i may sound a bit impatient and perhaps a little naive, but how long does it take to get off of a waitlist, and is there a chance that they will get enough acceptances to not need the waitlist?

for the SMP waitlist, there's only a small possibility that the waitlist would not be needed. According to Tooth's post (his conversation with Tori), the SMP sent out 40 acceptances last year before the class was filled. I assume this number is the sum of the initial immediate acceptances and the ones that came off the waitlist. This year there were 26 immediate acceptances sent. If we assume that 40 acceptances would need to be sent before the class is filled (as was the case last year), 14 acceptances will go to 14 waitlistees.
Furthermore, if you are initially #17 on the waitlist, you still have a chance, since it's very possible that 3 people above you in the waitlist withdraw their applications, bumping you to #14, the very last person to be granted an acceptance. As for the timing, I expect the waitlist to start moving 2 weeks from when most of the acceptance letters were sent out, which I believe was last week.
Take this analysis (speculation) for what it's worth.

kylahs said:
not yet

the medical school is h/p/f, if you're referring to EVMS' grading system. I'm not sure about the SMP though

FYI

Medical Doctorate: Honors (1.1 SD above the mean most classes, no more than top 10% per class), High Pass (.5 SD above the mean, no more than top 30 or so %), Pass (70), Marginal Pass (<70, but within a SD limit of mean), Fail. Class usually studies alot, knows their stuff, and does well. You figure out where you fall pretty quickly and there is not that much stressing into your grade. Averages on exams are Low 80's (hard exams, as low as 77, 78 on Biochem Lipids, and Cardio) and as high as upper 80's (easy BS classes, and people usually do well in anatomy) with SD's around 7. Then again anatomy does not use the 1.1 SD for honors. Rather, if you get a 93 you have Honors. Also, I think honors for Histology was as low as 87 (teachers can modify the SD requirements when they want). As you can see there is some variation

Medical Master's Program: A/B/C/D/F system, graded seperate from M1's. Master's average is usually one or two points above those of the medical school class (B)

Wierd thing about "crazy" jk, students: Never thought this would ever happen in post elementary school. You are allowed to contest the answer to any question. Questions get thrown out (depends on the teacher/class). However, this seems to never help you out in the long run. For the times you get a question back there is always the time when they throw out a question you got right so your grade goes down and the class average goes up. Frankly, you will never see me asking to get a question changed. Haha

Hope that helps

Dave

callendm said:
FYI

Medical Doctorate: Honors (1.1 SD above the mean most classes, no more than top 10% per class), High Pass (.5 SD above the mean, no more than top 30 or so %), Pass (70), Marginal Pass (<70, but within a SD limit of mean), Fail. Class usually studies alot, knows their stuff, and does well. You figure out where you fall pretty quickly and there is not that much stressing into your grade. Averages on exams are Low 80's (hard exams, as low as 77, 78 on Biochem Lipids, and Cardio) and as high as upper 80's (easy BS classes, and people usually do well in anatomy) with SD's around 7. Then again anatomy does not use the 1.1 SD for honors. Rather, if you get a 93 you have Honors. Also, I think honors for Histology was as low as 87 (teachers can modify the SD requirements when they want). As you can see there is some variation

Medical Master's Program: A/B/C/D/F system, graded seperate from M1's. Master's average is usually one or two points above those of the medical school class (B)

Wierd thing about "crazy" jk, students: Never thought this would ever happen in post elementary school. You are allowed to contest the answer to any question. Questions get thrown out (depends on the teacher/class). However, this seems to never help you out in the long run. For the times you get a question back there is always the time when they throw out a question you got right so your grade goes down and the class average goes up. Frankly, you will never see me asking to get a question changed. Haha

Hope that helps

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I had to read it a couple of time to figure it out, but it helped....

So, you like EVMS, Norfolk, Va beach??? Details?

Agape

Spoke to Andrea this morning. there has been no waitlist movement yet and she does not know when we should expect movement.

kylahs said:
Spoke to Andrea this morning. there has been no waitlist movement yet and she does not know when we should expect movement.

Yesterday I got into the EVMS SMP after being on the waitlist for about 1.5 weeks. So, it does seem like there's already some movement. I'm also on the M.D. waitlist, but I don't know what my "tercile" is.

For those of you deciding between Georgetown and EVMS SMPs....any thoughts??--this is a hard decision. I'm a VA resident.

BDevil2003 said:
Yesterday I got into the EVMS SMP after being on the waitlist for about 1.5 weeks. So, it does seem like there's already some movement. I'm also on the M.D. waitlist, but I don't know what my "tercile" is.

For those of you deciding between Georgetown and EVMS SMPs....any thoughts??--this is a hard decision. I'm a VA resident.

I think that depends on where you want to go to medical school. If you want to attend medical school at EVMS, then you should do the SMP at EVMS. If you want to go to medial schools elsewhere, then you should probably go to Georgetown because it has better name recognition.

BDevil2003 said:
Yesterday I got into the EVMS SMP after being on the waitlist for about 1.5 weeks. So, it does seem like there's already some movement.

that's strange. How did you find out?

any news?

BDevil: have u decided between Georgetown and EVMS?

was on the phone this morning... looks like the waitlist is on hold till April MCAT scores come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
kylahs said:
was on the phone this morning... looks like the waitlist is on hold till April MCAT scores come in.

tell them that no one on the current waitlist is likely to get a better MCAT score than you, that you kick major ass and that they need to let you in now.

send them some sexy pics. I would. (and i don't even look that good)

did you apply anywhere else?

calbear15 said:
tell them that no one on the current waitlist is likely to get a better MCAT score than you, that you kick major ass and that they need to let you in now.

send them some sexy pics. I would. (and i don't even look that good)

did you apply anywhere else?

lol. After the phone call I sent a letter of intent via email to the program director. I hope it'll help get me off the waitlist earlier than mid June. And I haven't applied anywhere else yet. If by next week nothing happens, I'll apply to Barry's program, which is local to me.

Anyone here of any updates?

Tooth

Here's an updated factbook from April 2005.

http://www.evms.edu/admin/docs/2003-2004_factbook.pdf

You can also find out local news about EVMS at the following local newspaper's website:
http://www.pilotonline.com

Just do a search on EVMS.

callendm said:
Thought I'd pass this along...

All the info you can swallow about EVMS plus some more...

http://www.evms.edu/admin/docs/2002-03_factbook.pdf

*check out page 39 for info on the Medical Master's Program at EVMS* BTW: this "factbook" isn't readily found from "google"

i was told yesterday that the waitlist will start moving early- to mid-July.

kylahs said:
i was told yesterday that the waitlist will start moving early- to mid-July.

well that person was wrong. It moved today. I'm off the list! :D

EDIT: To people on the waitlist: I'm a little embittered by the process. After all the wait and hope in getting off the waitlist, I received an email saying that I had until 4:00PM of that day to respond to the acceptance offer, or the offer would be withdrawn. To their credit, I also received a phone call on my cell. However, my cell phone was giving me problems and it was only my chance decision to check my email at 3:15 PM that made me aware of the 4:00PM deadline (I normally check my emails in the mornings and evenings). To think, I could have lost this opportunity if I was at work or at the beach the entire day. A 24 hour deadline is okay, but 6-7 hours?

So you guys on the waitlist, it's okay to religiously check your email and your phone messages 5 times a day. :)

kylahs said:
well that person was wrong. It moved today. I'm off the list! :D

Congrats kylahs! I guess you'll be at EVMS in August one way or another :) . Where are you on the MD waitlist?

Fusion said:
Congrats kylahs! I guess you'll be at EVMS in August one way or another :) . Where are you on the MD waitlist?

Thanks ... for this, and your earlier support.
In May I called and I found out that I dropped to the middle third (of the MD waitlist). I suppose then that like you, I am in the top of the middle third. We still have a chance.

congrats Kylahs. you're gonna love that place. i visited last month and i think EVMS is absolutely wonderful. good luck!

calbear15 said:
congrats Kylahs. you're gonna love that place. i visited last month and i think EVMS is absolutely wonderful. good luck!
Thanks. :)
I was there a couple of times as well---- have u visited the children's hospital? i've never been to any place that compares.

Are u def. going to EVMS? I know u applied to other schools as well. Have u heard back?

kylahs said:
Thanks. :)
I was there a couple of times as well---- have u visited the children's hospital? i've never been to any place that compares.

Are u def. going to EVMS? I know u applied to other schools as well. Have u heard back?

no. for multiple other reasons, i think i'm headed to Georgetown. I've heard from everyone. loyola, drexel, northwestern and NYMC denied me. i got into BU, EVMS, Georgetown, RFUMS, UMDNJ...and barry...I think that's about it.

Guys,
Congradulations to people who got accepted and good luck to the rest.
I am desperately looking for some info about stats of accepted students to medical masters program in EVMS. Anyone please?
Thank YOU

Want_2Bcom_a_dr said:
Guys,
Congradulations to people who got accepted and good luck to the rest.
I am desperately looking for some info about stats of accepted students to medical masters program in EVMS. Anyone please?
Thank YOU

the stats have a pretty big range. Some people got in with a 26-27 MCAT + 2.8-3.0 GPA, most others have a >30 mcat score. I have a 34 + 3.3

Wow, no chance for me. 3.17 (haven't taken the MCAT yet, but hope to: p:10,B:10, v:5-6 (I am not a English native speaker).
Why getting even into PRE-medical school is that HARD?
Thanks for the post anyway.

Want_2Bcom_a_dr said:
Wow, no chance for me. 3.17 (haven't taken the MCAT yet, but hope to: p:10,B:10, v:5-6 (I am not a English native speaker).
Why getting even into PRE-medical school is that HARD?
Thanks for the post anyway.

This is not pre-med school. You need to have completed all your pre-reqs. This program is competitive because it is so successful in placing students into its medical school. If you do well you are in and they only except 20 people into their incoming class.

Tooth

Tooth -- any news on your bid to EVMS?

kylahs said:
Tooth -- any news on your bid to EVMS?

Unfortunately no. I am still eagerly waiting for that Fedex package to arrive. I did get into Georgetown but EVMS is where I belong!!

Tooth

Tooth,
I meant 'even getting into such programs are that difficult". I know that it's not a PRE-MED school perse.
Anyway would anybody share their stats?
Appreciate it.

TiggidyTooth said:
Unfortunately no. I am still eagerly waiting for that Fedex package to arrive. I did get into Georgetown but EVMS is where I belong!!

Tooth

Tooth, I too was a EVMS fiend, but I have since defected to the Georgetown SMP side. Join us....together we can rule the galaxy...

calbear15 said:
Tooth, I too was a EVMS fiend, but I have since defected to the Georgetown SMP side. Join us....together we can rule the galaxy...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congratulations, Kylahs! I see all the calling and visiting to EVMS paid off! ^_^ Can't wait to meet you in August! Let me (or Mike..mplee79) know if you need anything. You must already be kind of in the area though, since you visited the school to talk to Dr. McCombs. Either way, we're glad to be of assitance! See ya soon! CONGRATS, AGAIN!

MaDe in Cali said:
Congratulations, Kylahs! I see all the calling and visiting to EVMS paid off! ^_^ Can't wait to meet you in August! Let me (or Mike..mplee79) know if you need anything. You must already be kind of in the area though, since you visited the school to talk to Dr. McCombs. Either way, we're glad to be of assitance! See ya soon! CONGRATS, AGAIN!

Thanks Made in Cali :) --- i also look forward in meeting you. and mplee too. Im still waiting on the MD waitlist to move, but I'm happy with this SMP acceptance. My bro lives in Norfolk so I should have a pretty easy transition from Miami ---- but thanks so much for the offer.

just got my acceptance today... where is everyone living?

reversescorpion said:
just got my acceptance today... where is everyone living?

that's awesome man :thumbup: congrats.

I'll be in Suffolk -- at my brother's house. It's a 20 min drive to the school. You?

thanks kylahs :) ...toni told me to expect the fedex package today..but i have no clue about the living situation...does evms have any type of student housing?

Congrats on getting accepted! ^_^ Guess we'll all see you in a month! As for housing: They have great, cheap student housing across the street from school! You'll probably have to get on the waitlist for it, though. It's called the Hague Club Apts. But there is plenty of apts around here. You can check out the EVMS ads on sinapse.evms.edu. They'll list people looking for roommates. Let me know if you need more help!

Thanks!!! the synapse EVMS site is really helpful...gives me a place to start...are you planning on going down to norfolk before orientation?

azileretsis --- what's going on? I know you were told that your app to the SMP would probably not result in an acceptance. Has anything changed? What are your plans?

Hey reversescorpion! Actually, I moved out here back in January to be with my boyfriend who was in the SMP programm and will be in our class next year! So yes, I will definitely be here before orientation. Let me know if you need anything before or when you get here! Two of our classmates are getting married August 6, so some of us are gonna be in Chicago that weekend for that. Other than that, we'll be around! ^_^

Everyone else will be notified of their status in the next couple of days.

I was told I didn't get in. I'm contemplating my alternatives.

But, if you guys have any questions about this area or EVMS, email me anytime. I really am an expert concerning this area.

For example, third floor EVMS library, turn left after the stairs is the quietest place in the library. NEST is a great organization to help out with. CHKD is awesome!

I hope you guys do well and get in the following year!

kylahs said:
azileretsis --- what's going on? I know you were told that your app to the SMP would probably not result in an acceptance. Has anything changed? What are your plans?

hey MaDe in Cali :) headin down to norfolk to look at places early next week and plan on moving in a week or two before orientation...

question about the program- so all smp students get interviews? if so, are they automatically put on the waitlist for EVMS?

thanks!

reversescorpion said:
hey MaDe in Cali :) headin down to norfolk to look at places early next week and plan on moving in a week or two before orientation...

question about the program- so all smp students get interviews? if so, are they automatically put on the waitlist for EVMS?

thanks!

I'm made in cali's boyfriend. My name is Mike. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

I was in the SMP last year so i'll be able to answer any of your questions. All SMP students are guaranteed interviews and therefore automatically put on the waitlist. However, the admissions committee has pretty much reserved spots for masters students (granted that they are eligibile and likeable by everyone), so the waitlist is not exactly the same as those for regular applicants. Basically, you'll want to do a few things while your here: 1. get yourself noticed by talking to profs and speak up during small groups. Don't give them a reason not to accept you (who are going to be your biggest advocated--and that includes Dr. Meyers) 2. Kick ass in all your classes. 3. Volunteer for EVMS sponsored events 4. Be an advocate in the masters program 5. get to know the admissions committee staff (especially Dr. McCombs) 6. Make friends with all the students

We can talk in more detail in August.

Take care and good luck. Have fun this summer.

Mike

Anyone wanting an automatic acceptance from SMP, definitely listen to him! I swear he was their #1 pick! :D

Why do I stay up late on SDN when I need to get up early? Woe is me. :(

Mike -- sounds like good info. Thanks for posting.

a few more questions: I was told that as an MS1 at EVMS, we can elect not to take any of the classes that we got a high pass (or an A) on while in the SMP. First, is this true? If we elect not to take all of those classes, will we be taking MS2 classes once in med school? Or we will be forced to tutor or be a TA in these classes? Are we then paid?

YES! You can pass out of classes during your SMP, but no, you cannot take 2nd year classes. If you receive an appropriate grade as an SMP (either High Pass or Honors, depending on the class), you'll be given the option to re-take. Sometimes, students who High Passed a class will re-take the class and try to Honor it, but it's up to the student. If you don't re-take a class, you can TA it and get paid (optional). (The pays not great, but it helps.) Regarding M2 classes, I know students who are considering sitting in on M2 classes to get a little preview for next year. However, all that being said, as an M1, you'll still have to take Anatomy, all the Student-Doc-type classes, and a series of little classes throughout the year, so you won't be completely free. But it'll be a good time to find a research job, etc. =)

cool, thanks 4 the info :thumbup: