Evms Smp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this provram. Can anyone apply, or do they only prefer applicants who are in-state or from a disadvantaged or minority background? Is it true they have a 90% acceptance rate to their own medical school? Is admission to the program based entirely on your performance in the SMP program? What are the other positive and negative aspects of this program compared to other SMP programs? (I know there's another thread here about EVMS but it doesn't seem to answer all these specific questions)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone can apply, but you should have decent MCATs (27 or 28 min), but you don't need the best grades. This year should be closer to 75% acceptance which is still a lot better than the national norm, but it sucks for those few who won't get in. They will consider your entire application for acceptance to the med school, though good grades here can overshadow lower GPAs or MCATs elsewhere. Not only that, but you'll get to personally know people on the admissions committee which is always a plus. I can't answer the question about its comparisson to other schools. I'm sure that info is somewhere on here. Good luck!

Is the 75% acceptance rate mean the fraction who get in to EVMS, or include others who get into some american allopathic med school besides EVMS, or also include people admitted to caribbean and DO schools?

That number is based on this year's acceptance. Supposedly, approximately 15 of the 19 should get in. In the past, a higher percentage of SMP students were accepted to EVMS. However, those percentages are also based on lower class sizes and lower numbers of students actually completing the SMP program. (Apparently, this is the first year where all of the students graduated.)

If you plan to use the SMP program to apply to MD schools other than EVMS, you probably wouldn't be applying the year you do the program because the grades will not be able to be admitted to AMCAS since AMCAS is due before you will get your fall grades. The schools you apply to will still be judging you on your previous grades, MCATs, recs, etc. So while you can apply to MD schools the year you do your SMP, you should have back-up plans. It seems that your two back-ups (if you don't get into EVMS) are basically:

1. Apply to DO schools the year you're doing the SMP program.
2. Apply to MD schools the year you're doing the SMP program, BUT plan to reapply the next year (or just wait to apply) and have something to do after you graduate from the SMP - get your AMCAS started, have a job lined up, have some activities lined up. It would be AWFUL if you were counting on an acceptance and all you did all summer long after you finished was wait to hear from EVMS and you never got in.

Good luck!