EVMS vs CUSM vs OUWB(waitlist) vs USF(waitlist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chief3414

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently trying to do my best to sort everything before April 30th. A little about myself, I was born and raised in California which is where my support group is. I am interested in a competitive specialty, Ortho (which could totally change). In addition to your recommendation based off my pro/con below, would any of these programs hold me back or help me drastically into getting into Ortho/competitive specialty. Thank you so much and any input would be appreciated. I hope you and your family stays safe and healthy! :)

EVMS (Accepted):

COA: 86,000, still waiting on any potential financial aid

Pro:

-Pre-clinical grading is P/F

-Great community vibe (As a future physician I definitely want to be involved in the community).

-Ultrasound curriculum is a plus

-Respectable match list

-Great step scores

-Weather is moderate/mild winter

-Norfolk is 20 minutes from Virginia Beach which is nice.

-Great Vibe during interview day

Con:

-Not in California

-Not affiliated with a university/ potentially less resources and opportunities

-Cost is more expensive than CUSM.

-No home ortho residency program

CUSM (Accepted):

COA:85,000 but would probably save up to 10,000 a year on rent and living expenses so closer to 75,000 maybe even cheaper?

Pro:

-Can live at home thus save money

-P/F pre-clinical grading

-Close to family and support group (all live in California)

-New medical school being built (should be finished prior to matriculation)

-Classes Monday-Wednesday

Con:

-No federal funding as of yet (although they are working on it)

-Not established, concern for being a newer school

-Unknown match list

-Limited research opportunities

OUWB (second tier waitlist)

COA: 81,000

Pro:

-Beaumont health care system is great

-Home ortho residency program

-Tight knit community

-Cheap cost of living

Con:

-Snow would be rough, but I could get used to it.

-Pre-clinical grades with Honors, Pass, Pass with Remediation, Fail

-Away from support group in California

USF Select (Waitlist):

COA: 78,000

Pro:

-I believe this is the highest ranked school out of the four. May be helpful for getting into a more competitive residency down the line

-I like the idea of focusing and working on leadership and emotional intelligence.

-New medical school being built/nearly complete.

-Best opportunity for research

Con:

-Have to leave to PA after two years for clinical (which could provide networking for residency in Florida and PA) however still sucks moving again.

-Large class size

-Felt less like a community here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Between CUSM and USF.

If you have any inkling that staying in California is important to you, do CUSM. USF is great, and definitely growing stronger and stronger by the year, but it's not quite at the point yet that you can reasonably assume to be guaranteed a residency where you want. USF might be highest ranked, but CUSM at the end of the day is a California M.D school (that isn't Northstate with all its sketchy problems).

Choose CUSM. Unless you are OK with moving, then consider USF.

Thank you for the reply! I am not entirely set on staying in California. I have concerns that CUSM is only preliminary accredited with a lot of uncertainty(unknown if they will get fully accredited, unknown if we will get federal funding, unknown match, unknown step). USF is enticing due to its rank/research opportunities but the transfer after two years is kinda a drawback. I am personally leaning more towards EVMS with the slight chance I choose CUSM for the family support(and rent saved). I am also not entirely set on matching California. It is really expensive to live here/get established/start a family ten years from now. What is your or anyone else's thoughts on EVMS?

Thank you for the reply! I am not entirely set on staying in California. I have concerns that CUSM is only preliminary accredited with a lot of uncertainty(unknown if they will get fully accredited, unknown if we will get federal funding, unknown match, unknown step). USF is enticing due to its rank/research opportunities but the transfer after two years is kinda a drawback. I am personally leaning more towards EVMS with the slight chance I choose CUSM for the family support(and rent saved). I am also not entirely set on matching California. It is really expensive to live here/get established/start a family ten years from now. What is your or anyone else's thoughts on EVMS?

To be fair, I definitely don't have the full story here. But at a glance, USF>>>EVMS.
USF has almost 10X more research money (not even close), and at least is attempting to move up in ranking ...whether or not ambition pays off is in the air, but it's probably going to move to a solid middle tier area. EVMS has a weirdly low amount of research funding because it seems dedicated primary care...that's not a bad thing inherently, but that's not going to help you much if a competitive specialty is your goal.

If you're just purely gunning for competitive specialties, USF seems the way to go, I don't think it's close. Obviously though, a lot of intangibles also play a role, like the vibes of the schools, how you felt, etc.

I would not worry too much about CUSM's accreditation and all that other stuff. I would be AMAZED if it actually turned out bad, this is very rare for medical schools, it's only happened once I believe. And you will have a leg up matching in Cali, which is a huge bonus that can't be understated!! But, that being said, if your absolute main objective is popping a high paying specialty and climbing that socio-economic ladder, USF seems here to be the way to go.

Hello! I am currently trying to do my best to sort everything before April 30th. A little about myself, I was born and raised in California which is where my support group is. I am interested in a competitive specialty, Ortho (which could totally change). In addition to your recommendation based off my pro/con below, would any of these programs hold me back or help me drastically into getting into Ortho/competitive specialty. Thank you so much and any input would be appreciated. I hope you and your family stays safe and healthy! :)

EVMS (Accepted):

COA: 86,000, still waiting on any potential financial aid

Pro:

-Pre-clinical grading is P/F

-Great community vibe (As a future physician I definitely want to be involved in the community).

-Ultrasound curriculum is a plus

-Respectable match list

-Great step scores

-Weather is moderate/mild winter

-Norfolk is 20 minutes from Virginia Beach which is nice.

-Great Vibe during interview day

Con:

-Not in California

-Not affiliated with a university/ potentially less resources and opportunities

-Cost is more expensive than CUSM.

CUSM (Accepted):

COA:85,000 but would probably save up to 10,000 a year on rent and living expenses so closer to 75,000 maybe even cheaper?

Pro:

-Can live at home thus save money

-P/F pre-clinical grading

-Close to family and support group (all live in California)

-New medical school being built (should be finished prior to matriculation)

-Classes Monday-Wednesday

Con:

-No federal funding as of yet (although they are working on it)

-Not established, concern for being a newer school

-Unknown match list

-Limited research opportunities

OUWB (second tier waitlist)

COA: 81,000

Pro:

-Beaumont health care system is great

-Home ortho residency program

-Tight knit community

-Cheap cost of living

Con:

-Snow would be rough, but I could get used to it.

-Pre-clinical grades with Honors, Pass, Pass with Remediation, Fail

-Away from support group in California

USF Select (Waitlist):

COA: 78,000

Pro:

-I believe this is the highest ranked school out of the four. May be helpful for getting into a more competitive residency down the line

-I like the idea of focusing and working on leadership and emotional intelligence.

-New medical school being built/nearly complete.

-Best opportunity for research

Con:

-Have to leave to PA after two years for clinical (which could provide networking for residency in Florida and PA) however still sucks moving again.

-Large class size

-Felt less like a community here

Hi! I'm currently in a VERY similar situation as you! Would love the chance to discuss through DM if you're up for it.

Reactions: 1 user