EVMS vs Louisville?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddit01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I can only interview at one of these places due to schedule conflicts, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to keep. They seem pretty similar across the board when comparing curriculum, location, and pursuing specific clinical opportunities I'm interested in. Anyone have any other insight into either program that might help in making decision?

Members don't see this ad.

I can answer questions for you about EVMS. I'm biased, so I'm not going to tell you which program to interview at. What are you interested in for a program?

I can answer questions for you about EVMS. I'm biased, so I'm not going to tell you which program to interview at. What are you interested in for a program?

The group dynamics and atmosphere among the residents, how well the PDs respond to their feedback, work load, call schedule during first year, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The group dynamics and atmosphere among the residents, how well the PDs respond to their feedback, work load, call schedule during first year, etc. Thanks!

It's like a big family. We all care for each other, sometimes branches of the family don't get along so great, but it's large enough that you can generally avoid those people if you don't like them, but small enough that you do know everyone.

The PDs are very responsive to feedback, within reason. They aren't going to change things every month, but if the residents identify a problem with the schedule, they brainstorm ways to fix it and trial new things. If there's a problem with the faculty, our PD goes to bat for us.

We're a stand alone children's hospital--there is always plenty of work to go around. If you don't learn best by doing, this probably isn't the place for you. In studying for boards, I've seen the vast majority of diagnoses multiple times. That said, we are supportive of each other and help when others are struggling. We don't have caps on patients on teams, but very rarely go above 6-8 patients per resident (the weekends would be the primary exception).

Everyone means something different when they ask about call schedule, so you'll have to ask more specific questions if I don't answer what you actually want to know. As it stands now, we have 9 months of inpatient time intern year; 4-5 are spent on wards, 2-3 are spent in our level 2 nursery, one is spent on level 1 nursery, and one in NICU. The remaining 3 months are outpatient general peds clinic, ED, and Developmental. You do nights on whatever team you are on for the month--there is no general night coverage for interns. If you're interested in NICU, this is a great program to train at, because we don't have fellows, so you go to all high risk deliveries and do all procedures on your patients as a resident.

It's like a big family. We all care for each other, sometimes branches of the family don't get along so great, but it's large enough that you can generally avoid those people if you don't like them, but small enough that you do know everyone.

The PDs are very responsive to feedback, within reason. They aren't going to change things every month, but if the residents identify a problem with the schedule, they brainstorm ways to fix it and trial new things. If there's a problem with the faculty, our PD goes to bat for us.

We're a stand alone children's hospital--there is always plenty of work to go around. If you don't learn best by doing, this probably isn't the place for you. In studying for boards, I've seen the vast majority of diagnoses multiple times. That said, we are supportive of each other and help when others are struggling. We don't have caps on patients on teams, but very rarely go above 6-8 patients per resident (the weekends would be the primary exception).

Everyone means something different when they ask about call schedule, so you'll have to ask more specific questions if I don't answer what you actually want to know. As it stands now, we have 9 months of inpatient time intern year; 4-5 are spent on wards, 2-3 are spent in our level 2 nursery, one is spent on level 1 nursery, and one in NICU. The remaining 3 months are outpatient general peds clinic, ED, and Developmental. You do nights on whatever team you are on for the month--there is no general night coverage for interns. If you're interested in NICU, this is a great program to train at, because we don't have fellows, so you go to all high risk deliveries and do all procedures on your patients as a resident.

Just want to second all of this. I am biased as well, but am SO glad that I trained at EVMS. Between the clinical exposure and the staff mentorship, that residency made me the physician I am. You would not be disappointed going there.

Oh, yeah, you didn’t ask about the faculty much. We only have two fellowship programs here, so we form really good relationships with our attendings. I’m going into fellowship and had multiple attendings in my field help me out and suggest research opportunities and discussions. And I’m friends with faculty from several departments, going to their homes for parties/dinner, etc. And the lack of fellowship s certainly doesn’t mean lack of patient experience or research opportunities-just means less barriers between you and the attendings. We send about half our class each year into fellowship, and most everyone gets their top choice program.

Also an EVMS grad and so I'm biased, but I absolutely loved my time there and can't imagine residency any place else. The only thing I would have changed about my time would have been to have the cafeteria open 24 hrs/day. That being said, the adult hospital next door was open 24/7.

Also an EVMS grad and so I'm biased, but I absolutely loved my time there and can't imagine residency any place else. The only thing I would have changed about my time would have been to have the cafeteria open 24 hrs/day. That being said, the adult hospital next door was open 24/7.
Not quite. They close at 2 or 3 am til like 6am. But yeah, CHKD’s cafeteria’s hours suck.

Ah you're right. It's been awhile and it was a long haul over to SNGH if you weren't on nursery. I tried to never be on nursery.