EVMS Waitlist movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ielman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..if you are waitlisted post interview...please post your placement (i.e. top, middle, bottom third), when you were notified, and if your placement has changed. I will start, notified Dec. 6th, bottom third OOS. I hear the waitlist can move quickly and most of the class came from it last year.

Members don't see this ad.

i was top third in october, now i'm middle third oos in december.

bottom third, IS, December

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to consider is just because someone drops out doesn't mean they take the next person on the waitlist. It means they take the next person on the waitlist who also meets the same criteria. For example, if an oos male drops out they get the highest oos male on the list, not the highest person on the list. I am not sure if they go as far as matching ethnicity. In any case, they know which type of class profile they want and they try to keep it pretty much the same.

Male IS notified Jan 30 of waitlist decision. Top 1/3. Does anyone know what percent of IS top third get acceptances??

Hey guys..if you are waitlisted post interview...please post your placement (i.e. top, middle, bottom third), when you were notified, and if your placement has changed. I will start, notified Dec. 6th, bottom third OOS. I hear the waitlist can move quickly and most of the class came from it last year.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken. Last cycle the waitlist for many schools, including EVMS, moved exceedingly slow. They did not make it through the entirety of either the IS or OOS top 1/3.

That isn't to say that this year won't be different. Here is last year's thread, so you can see for yourselves. EVMS waitlist movement

saqrfaraj is def right. I have been stalking last years waitlist movement thread and they had top third candidates being accepted in august, right before class starts. (the process is very slow) Lets hope this year is different!

i was top third in october, now i'm middle third oos in december.

How can someone/you move down the waitlist?

Also, it may be important to note that according to various anecdotes I've read on sdn, EVMS does not necessarily take people in the order of their position on the wait list, as odd as that sounds. Sometimes they may pull a bottom third person over a middle third person, for example. Also, gender (in addition to IS vs. OOS) makes a difference in who is pulled off.

Waitlisted Upper third IS female. Do you think I have a chance because the way the admissions office explained the waitlist movement is that people get picked from all over. Also did everyone receive a waitlist letter. I called and got the decision but I have not received a letter in the mail.

Waitlisted Upper third IS female. Do you think I have a chance because the way the admissions office explained the waitlist movement is that people get picked from all over. Also did everyone receive a waitlist letter. I called and got the decision but I have not received a letter in the mail.

I think that it's feasible for folks to get pulled from within a particular third in no apparent order, but it just wouldn't make sense for them to take people from the bottom and middle thirds before they finished the top third. That would defeat the purpose of the thirds and render them meaningless.

If you're upper 1/3 IS, you have a reasonable chance of being accepted. If you're upper 1/3 OOS, your odds are even better. Below that, things get hazy. The fact of the matter is, you can't predict what's going to happen based on previous years, so don't throw in the towel just yet.

Any new information from anyone?? This thread last year was huge! Where are all the waitlisters?? I know there are more SDNers out there that are on te EVMS waitlist, I have heard up to 300 people being on this waitlist.

I'm an instate male in the top third of the wait list and was told by admissions that I'm in a good place and that most of the matriculating class does come from the wait list. I know nothing is set in stone yet but it does provide some hope... good luck to all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an instate male in the top third of the wait list and was told by admissions that I'm in a good place and that most of the matriculating class does come from the wait list. I know nothing is set in stone yet but it does provide some hope... good luck to all! :)

Are you doing anything extra after being notified of your waitlist position? Are you calling in or sending any additional recommendations?

Also I was wondering if anyone has heard any figures on the number of people on the waitlist? (iver heard around 300 total)

Last edited:
hey just recently joined! i was interviewed in october and waitlisted in november. top 1/3. sent letter of interest last month. i plan on calling within the next week to check again on my waitlist standing. hope to hear something soon! good luck to all of you!

Hi all!

Well I've replied on a few old threads so I think I'll post on a new one. I'm an OOS applicant - interviewed 2/27/09 and called today to find out I'm in the top 1/3.

anyone else hear about preview weekend? i am really excited

i was on the top 1/3 of the waitlist when i called to check in march. should I call again to see if i'm still on the top 1/3? i read another post by a student who said he was on the top 1/3 and is now on the middle 1/3. thats kinda scary...

i was on the top 1/3 of the waitlist when i called to check in march. should I call again to see if i'm still on the top 1/3? i read another post by a student who said he was on the top 1/3 and is now on the middle 1/3. thats kinda scary...

Really? That is no good. The admissions office told me that could not happen... wonder what is up... now I want to call and make sure.

Really? That is no good. The admissions office told me that could not happen... wonder what is up... now I want to call and make sure.

sorry I didnt mean to alarm you. I was looking for the post, and I think i may have read it on last year's EVMS waitlist movement thread... whoops :confused:

I don't know what they told you, but at my interview day Dr. Solhaug said the WL was "dynamic," which means that your position can change. Presumably this would happen if applicants waitlisted after you were deemed to be superior.

I'm not sure how informative the "top third, middle third, lower third" designations really are anyway. We were also told that the WL really operates on a "like-for-like" basis, i.e. if an OOS female withdraws, they are replaced with the highest-ranking OOS female on the waitlist. But that lucky OOS female could theoretically be ranked lower than an OOS male; in other words, applicants won't necessarily be picked from the WL in rank order. It all depends on the demographics of both the people withdrawing and those on the WL, which we obviously don't know.

I don't know what they told you, but at my interview day Dr. Solhaug said the WL was "dynamic," which means that your position can change. Presumably this would happen if applicants waitlisted after you were deemed to be superior.

I'm not sure how informative the "top third, middle third, lower third" designations really are anyway. We were also told that the WL really operates on a "like-for-like" basis, i.e. if an OOS female withdraws, they are replaced with the highest-ranking OOS female on the waitlist. But that lucky OOS female could theoretically be ranked lower than an OOS male; in other words, applicants won't necessarily be picked from the WL in rank order. It all depends on the demographics of both the people withdrawing and those on the WL, which we obviously don't know.

This is all true. However, unless by some very strange occurrence (i.e. everyone in the top 1/3 is female), people are going to be taken from the waitlist from the top down.

This is all true. However, unless by some very strange occurrence (i.e. everyone in the top 1/3 is female), people are going to be taken from the waitlist from the top down.

Absolutely. I didn't express it clearly, but I was trying to make the point that because of the way the EVMS WL operates, it's pretty hard to predict your chances of getting a spot even if you're in the top third.

Absolutely. I didn't express it clearly, but I was trying to make the point that because of the way the EVMS WL operates, it's pretty hard to predict your chances of getting a spot even if you're in the top third.

Definitely true. Furthermore, even though they claim that most of their class comes off the waitlist, know that in years past there were a sizable number of people in the top 1/3 (especially IS) that were not accepted.

just withdrew last week; i hope someone here gets some good news!

thanks!!! are you In state or OOS ?male or female..? just so we have a sense of who will be getting your spot..

Hey,
I am oss, interviewed end of february and was put on waitlist , oos top 1/3, but have not heared any thing as yet , i tried calling addmissions and Dr. Salhaug, but they asked me to send a e mail, which i did, but still no response, called again and ahve been told that , my file has not been returned by commitee as yet and Dr. salhaug will call me back as soon we get your file back, is it a good sign or a bad sign , it has been over a month. three phone calls and two mails. no response to any one as yet , please post some good answer to make me feel good . Thanks .

can please some one tell me, when the wait listed candidates will start getting acceptance /rejections . is it going to be May 15th or after .

waitlist movement should begin in the next few weeks, probably before may 15 as people begin to withdraw for the deadline...

Thanks , Any idea about how big is wait list this year

i asked in march and it was 350 i think... so each third was 115 or so. i'm not sure if 350 was the number of names on the list at the time, or if its the total length of the waitlist including any openings...

Thanks again. so i should not be exited about being on top 1/3 of oos.

You should. Oos moves fast. Call the admissions office and tell em how much you love them, it makes a big difference

Thanks again, as i mentioned in my first post, i have called few times and sent couple of mails too, but all they say is they do not have my file and it is with admissions office and is not on the desk of dean , so he will call you , once he gets the file. truly speaking , i am afraid to call or e mail again and again b/c it might irritate them, that is what happened last year at one of the college , i was wait listed and did not get off the wait list for the only reason that dean got upset with so many calls. please advise, what is the best i could do at this point of time.

Also, if some one can tell me , when do they start calling wait listed candidates, before or after 15th may ( i mean at at least top half of the top 1/3 ) . i am sure they must be getting lots of withdrawals around first week of may from the people who have already decided to go some other schools . not every one inform the college on may 15th . they must be ahving some withdrawal around start of may.

Thanks again, as i mentioned in my first post, i have called few times and sent couple of mails too, but all they say is they do not have my file and it is with admissions office and is not on the desk of dean , so he will call you , once he gets the file. truly speaking , i am afraid to call or e mail again and again b/c it might irritate them, that is what happened last year at one of the college , i was wait listed and did not get off the wait list for the only reason that dean got upset with so many calls. please advise, what is the best i could do at this point of time.

Also, if some one can tell me , when do they start calling wait listed candidates, before or after 15th may ( i mean at at least top half of the top 1/3 ) . i am sure they must be getting lots of withdrawals around first week of may from the people who have already decided to go some other schools . not every one inform the college on may 15th . they must be ahving some withdrawal around start of may.

I think you just need to chill out for now. If you know that calling and emailing all the time is annoying then don't do it. Just see what happens over the next couple or few weeks, then give them a call if you don't hear anything. Just my opinion.

Thanks, I Greatly appreciate your advise.

IS female, interviewed 3/27, notified 4/24 that I'm middle 1/3 of the wait list.

IS female, interviewed 3/27, notified 4/24 that I'm middle 1/3 of the wait list.
Hey all. We are in May now, did any one get any e mail/ call about wait list movement or did some one get any news about waitlist list movement this year, that how good/bad it is going to be . is there any news at all. even if any one has withdrawn , please post . so we all waitlisters can have some hope.

Hey all,
Is there any news on the wait list movement of 2009 -2010 entering class. Did any one get good news from top 1/3 of O.O.S. wait list . man it is hard to wait till 15th and may be beyond. please post reply , if any one got the good news and if yes , was it a phone call or just a simple letter.:laugh: . even if some one knows about how it is looking for O.S.S. this year would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance .

Oos male, just got in off the waitlist...

I am really happy for you. congratulations . can you please tell me , when you got off the wait list and if you got a mail or call and did you here about any one else .please , post your reply . thanks again. at least movement has started and you are the first lucky one i know.

Dear econdr,
congrats once again. can you post your interview date, notification of wait list date and if possible your mcat and gpa score. so i can think about my self that how far i may be. i hope i am not asking too much . i am in anxiety brother. help me .

Congrats econdr :thumbup:

I am still riding the WL myself. Interviewed at the end of February and am OOS top 1/3. I went to preview weekend and have a phone interview set up with Dr. Solhaug.

Let's get moving WL :)

Interview was mid february, waitlisted early march, gpa is low 3s and mcat is mid 30s. Keep your heads up everyone this is a difficult process but the prospects for waitlisted students at evms isn't bad at all. From what I have heard top 1/3 students from oos are likely to get in. Sorry I can't be more specific with my stats but I try to keep my profile anonymous.

But anyway if you really really want to get in call the admissions office again and again until they know you by name, it makes some difference I swear. Also maybe try to schedule a phone interview to verbalize why you want to go here. The adcom wants to admit students who are very interested, not students who don't care. They don't view persistence as badgering. Good luck everyone :)

Hi econdr.

I really appreciate your input , thanks a million. this way i am as close as you but not as as lucky as you may be due to my mcat which 10-10-11. i wish you ,all the very best . you are a gentleman and god bless you. i will wait till may 15th and call after that.

Call now!! I have called a half dozen times at least to check my application status and tell them I still consider them a top choice.

Thanks econdr.
Thanks again, for your suggestion . i will try and gather some courage tonight and call tomorrow. as you know from my previous post , that last year i called and annoyed the dean of admissions of one college and still waiting for admission . so let me think of some good words and call them tomorrow. you are truly going to be a very good doctor since you are a gentleman. God bless you my brother. if i am lucky enough i will see you in august.

Thanks econdr.
Thanks again, for your suggestion . i will try and gather some courage tonight and call tomorrow. as you know from my previous post , that last year i called and annoyed the dean of admissions of one college and still waiting for admission . so let me think of some good words and call them tomorrow. you are truly going to be a very good doctor since you are a gentleman. God bless you my brother. if i am lucky enough i will see you in august.

If you dont feel comfortable on the phone send an email. If you need help proofreading, send me a private message and i'll help you out...

Status
Not open for further replies.