Evolution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salamanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dinosour --> human :)
I didn't take evolution class but i think it has something to do with ecology.
I think you need to know things like...natural selection, analogue, homologous, convergent, divergent, genetic drift....Hardy weinberg...hm...these r what's coming up on my head right now.

i HATED bio II. WITH A PASSION. lol im already dreading the fact aht i have to learn all that **** for the DAT :eek:. I got a B+ in tthe course and the lab was HARD!!!! by far the hardest lab ive ever taken. Evolution is not an easy topic, taxonamy is not an easy topic, ecology is not an easy topic. Well for me that is. ill share my brain but i doubt it will be of any good to u lol.:D

Don't know if I can share my brain...haha, but I'll summarize what I know about evolution; hope this helps!

-fossils (types that are found, eras they're found from) I haven't come across any questions in the destroyer or topscore or kaplan tests that I've taken, so it's up to you if you want to study it.
-know the chronology of the eras (paleo, meso, ceno. look up geographical time scale, and just remember that roughly...no need to go too in depth)
- homologous and analogous structures: know what they are, and some examples (i.e. wings of a fly and wings of a bird = analogous)
- embryology (this really should be under classification. know briefly the embryological development of the different phylums)
-vestigial structures (what they are and examples. i.e. the appendix is a vestigial structure)
-any geographic barriers and how and why they would occur
-the theories of evolution by Lamarck, Darwin/Wallace.
  1. -acquired characteristics
  2. -darwin's theories of natural selection, inheritance (etc.)
-these might come up on the test, so know the difference between Darwin's theories, and Lamarck's theory.
-population genetics (Hardy-Weinberg! almost guaranteed to come up at least once. know it well.)
-Microevolution (genetic drift, gene flow, mutation, etc.)
-speciation (adaptive radiation is a big one, in all the practice tests i've taken, one question about this has popped up. gene variation, adaptation, isolation, convergent and divergent evolution are all a part of this. know it well!)
-and also know what element are believed to be found on the earth prior to primitive life. methane, H2S, etc.

whew! that was a lot to remember, i might have missed something. i studied the kaplan book for the bio section, as well as my biology notes from class for the topics i wasn't sure about. this stuff is pretty good, i think, for what the test will ask for in evolution. jeez, now that i look back on it, i remembered a lot! :p

hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be a happier man if the DAT only tested evolution & ecology :laugh:. By far the easiest sections.

i HATED bio II. WITH A PASSION. lol im already dreading the fact aht i have to learn all that **** for the DAT :eek:. I got a B+ in tthe course and the lab was HARD!!!! by far the hardest lab ive ever taken. Evolution is not an easy topic, taxonamy is not an easy topic, ecology is not an easy topic. Well for me that is. ill share my brain but i doubt it will be of any good to u lol.:D

whether u sux at bio or not, u r still an orgo genius.

I'd be a happier man if the DAT only tested evolution & ecology :laugh:. By far the easiest sections.

well...I would be happier man if the DAT only tested reproductive system and menstrual cycle...man...I love that topic :D