Ex-Marine with huge interest in physiology, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preMedDonut

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, thank you for your service to this country.

It sounds like you have plenty of time before your MCAT and application. I think it would be wise to use that time to continue to volunteer, get plenty of shadowing in and make sure medicine is what you really want to do.

There are military resources like the Health Professional Scholarship Program. Also, you may want to look in to the program at the Uniformed Services University. Not sure if you want to go back to the marines, but you do your medical schooling and then are required to do however many years of Active Duty. It seems like a program geared towards veterans who are interested in pursuing health care.
Here is the website: http://www.usuhs.mil/

Best of luck

As mentioned above, thank you for your service. We're able to pursue our dreams because of people like you.

Look up the mcat discussion boards on here for more info on studying for the mcat. Lots of different strategies on there.

Are your premed prereqs included in the six science classes you've taken?

Try to maintain volunteering all the way until you apply. Even better if you can have it all through the same organization. Schools love longevity. Also, volunteering of both clinical and non clinical are good. This could include tutoring, helping at an animal shelter, food bank, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You already did the "ultimate" form of volunteering. Gain some clinical experience (you must be able to generate some connections through your military contacts?), continue to rock your courses and you will be fine. Life is great when you finally discover that school can actually be interesting and fun when you are enjoying your classes, isn't it!

Survivor DO

So far so good. if you can get that GPA to ~3.5, you're set. You're fine right now for any DO program, and thank you for serving your country. Semper Fi!

Hey everyone, I have been browsing the boards for awhile just to check on information for going to medical school, and tips and tricks. I've been loving the extra information as I don't have anyone in my immediate family or outer family that is pursuing to become a doctor as I am the first one. Just as the marines did, this is very unfamiliar territory that I could use any help I can get. Thanks.

So far I am a Soph/Junior at age 24. I will be graduating in two years and have been enrolled in the pre-medical program for about a year now. Let's just say when I first hit college I wanted to get my years that I felt lost in the service (I was in the Infantry). So my GPA sunk to 2.9 but I actually hated science at the time, so I never took any science classes (thankfully). Well my first science class in 5 years was Human Anatomy and Physiology, and you are probably thinking what the hell was I doing...well I didn't know but I found my passion. I really love this stuff and switched my major to Physiology and have been getting A's ever since. Not only because I need to, but I really love chemistry,physics and biology (this sounds like crazy talk)

I currently have a cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of a 4.0 (only 6 science classes so far)
I am a Ex-Marine in the Infantry where I saw some things in Iraq that wanted me to help aid people. I have no volunteering or shadowing, but I already got it scheduled for next week. I plan on taking the MCAT in the summer of 2014, registering in october. I know my weakness is clinical experience and volunteering, which will be accomplished. Any thoughts on what else I can do in this time span or what my chances are with military background? Also I hear Berkeley review is the best MCAT guide, but it's more personal preference.

Thanks so much guys, I know it's a lot to read and don't post tl;dr because that doesn't make sense when I just need help.

First off, thank you for your service to this country.

It sounds like you have plenty of time before your MCAT and application. I think it would be wise to use that time to continue to volunteer, get plenty of shadowing in and make sure medicine is what you really want to do.

(edited quote for size)

Best of luck
Thanks and I always feel awkward when people do thank me for service to this country, because I just felt like I needed to do a job that had to be done and some of my friends gave it all. But I do appreciate it. Thank you.

The military option has crossed my mind again, but personally, I couldn't bear to be strictly under government control again. I have seen how it works first hand and also with congress not getting the right mindset for budget cuts (whole another topic). I feel that active duty would not serve me right anymore. Thanks for the information though :).

As mentioned above, thank you for your service. We're able to pursue our dreams because of people like you.

Look up the mcat discussion boards on here for more info on studying for the mcat. Lots of different strategies on there.

Are your premed prereqs included in the six science classes you've taken?

Try to maintain volunteering all the way until you apply. Even better if you can have it all through the same organization. Schools love longevity. Also, volunteering of both clinical and non clinical are good. This could include tutoring, helping at an animal shelter, food bank, etc.

Like I mentioned above, thank you for your consideration. I appreciate it. I'll be sure to start hovering around the MCAT boards, probably starting in the next couple months. Even though it's a year out for me, it wouldn't hurt to glance over some of the books I bought already to start getting my brain in the right direction. I have taken 4 out of the 6 science classes that are premed requirements. The other two were anatomy and physiology 1 and 2. Thanks for the info on longevity! I'll keep that in mind.

You already did the "ultimate" form of volunteering. Gain some clinical experience (you must be able to generate some connections through your military contacts?), continue to rock your courses and you will be fine. Life is great when you finally discover that school can actually be interesting and fun when you are enjoying your classes, isn't it!

Survivor DO

Thank you again, just like I mentioned in the above posts. I'm seeming to really like this forum a lot. A bunch of mature people gathered in one place, seems great to me. The only clinical experience I am working on is through networking at school, unfortunately msot of friends in the Marines are scattered throughout America and a lot are not pursuing any degrees. It's hard when you are dealing with PTSD. But yes, life is amazing when you finally find something you love it's actually one of the reason I am finally out of depression :). Thanks for your comment.

And Semper Fi to Goro, I'll make sure to pass the 3.5 just to be safe.

Thanks and I always feel awkward when people do thank me for service to this country, because I just felt like I needed to do a job that had to be done and some of my friends gave it all. But I do appreciate it. Thank you

Hahaha I should've known. My friend is in the marines and Ive been with him in public while he was wearing his uniform. Seriously every other person thanking him. It's hard to know what to say... you're welcome?

Hey everyone, I have been browsing the boards for awhile just to check on information for going to medical school, and tips and tricks. I've been loving the extra information as I don't have anyone in my immediate family or outer family that is pursuing to become a doctor as I am the first one. Just as the marines did, this is very unfamiliar territory that I could use any help I can get. Thanks.

So far I am a Soph/Junior at age 24. I will be graduating in two years and have been enrolled in the pre-medical program for about a year now. Let's just say when I first hit college I wanted to get my years that I felt lost in the service (I was in the Infantry). So my GPA sunk to 2.9 but I actually hated science at the time, so I never took any science classes (thankfully). Well my first science class in 5 years was Human Anatomy and Physiology, and you are probably thinking what the hell was I doing...well I didn't know but I found my passion. I really love this stuff and switched my major to Physiology and have been getting A's ever since. Not only because I need to, but I really love chemistry,physics and biology (this sounds like crazy talk)

I currently have a cGPA of 3.4 and a sGPA of a 4.0 (only 6 science classes so far)
I am a Ex-Marine in the Infantry where I saw some things in Iraq that wanted me to help aid people. I have no volunteering or shadowing, but I already got it scheduled for next week. I plan on taking the MCAT in the summer of 2014, registering in october. I know my weakness is clinical experience and volunteering, which will be accomplished. Any thoughts on what else I can do in this time span or what my chances are with military background? Also I hear Berkeley review is the best MCAT guide, but it's more personal preference.

Thanks so much guys, I know it's a lot to read and don't post tl;dr because that doesn't make sense when I just need help.

Semper Fi, brother.

I too spent 4 years in the infantry and was recently accepted into an excellent MD program. ( I'll bet you can guess why my username has a 51 in it)

Luckily for you there is plenty of time to "fix" your GPA with an upward trend. I anxiously applied with a slightly less than 3.5GPA, which was incredibly risky. I had a downward trend and my grades fell due to a pretty insane family issue, which was probably my only saving grace as I addressed my discrepancies thoroughly.

Basically you need to keep up those A's and do "well" on the MCAT (30+). I know my service and experiences in Ramadi really pushed my application forwards. Just make sure you highlight those experiences in your personal statements and secondaries (I also dealt with some pretty ****ty things, during a bad time for Iraq). I suggest taking a lot of time and make your personal statement as fluid as possible. It is refreshing to see other grunts pursue this path. I see the occasional veteran but few of them are enlisted and ever fewer are infantry.

You seem to know your weaknesses. Definitely get your hands on some clinical experience. The more the better.

I'll leave it at that since most of the previous posters have covered the topics you need in general. Though feel free to PM me at any time if you have questions. I would be more than happy to share my experiences in the premed world. I was also the first of my family on both paths and have learned a LOT through trial and error.

:luck:

edit: I see USUHS was mentioned. I interviewed there and stayed with another former grunt who was a student host there. So if you have any questions about that I can shed some light on it.

Oh... and apply EARLY. (seriously I can't stress that enough)

Last edited:
Maintain a high sGPA like that, get your cGPA up over 3.5, and get an MCAT 30+ and you are going to find yourself with options for MD schools. Your experiences during your time in the service makes your perspective a real source of diversity and you may well be a "must interview" for schools assuming your stats are within the right range (which you are well on the way to).

Get some shadowing and clinical experiences in and volunteering is always good if you can find the time. I would put my vote in the examkrackers column, I liked it as a not-so-in-depth refresher for the MCAT. I would review textbooks for particularly confusing stuff.

Thanks for what you have given back and continue to seek to give back to your country and world. Good luck.

Hey preMedDonut, as has been said above, thank for your service to our country. I agree with what has been said above, but I would like to reaffirm that military service seems to be (according to the general wisdom on this forum) a large plus for MD ADCOMS. To quote LizzyM (I hope she doesn't mind :) )

"In my experience, military service is worth 5 LizzyM points"

It should be noted that she speaks as a member of an adcom from one top rated school, so there may be a lot of differences of opinion on this out there. Even if the benefit is not so extreme, it definitely is a strong factor in your favor and should really help you on the admissions trail! Good Luck!

You might consider volunteering at a VA Medical Center, if you have one nearby. The veterans who need help will value your service to them and you can relate to them in a special way. And it is a way to gain some clinical exposure.

It is true that adcoms have been very, very good to military veterans over the past 5-6 cycles, in my experience at one school and what I've seen on this board.

Semper Fi, brother.

I too spent 4 years in the infantry and was recently accepted into an excellent MD program. ( I'll bet you can guess why my username has a 51 in it)

(edited for size constraints)

edit: I see USUHS was mentioned. I interviewed there and stayed with another former grunt who was a student host there. So if you have any questions about that I can shed some light on it.

Oh... and apply EARLY. (seriously I can't stress that enough)

Thank your for your service to our country! :love:
Semper Fi man! Yeah it is good to another grunt on here for sure, since I don't know if it's the same for you, but most of my friends are on totally different paths...good and bad. I'm gonna send you a private message here in a few just so I can get a bit more info on what type of volunteering and how you approached shadowing to doctors...etc. Thanks brother! and Thank you Almost7Famous :).

Maintain a high sGPA like that, get your cGPA up over 3.5, and get an MCAT 30+ and you are going to find yourself with options for MD schools. Your experiences during your time in the service makes your perspective a real source of diversity and you may well be a "must interview" for schools assuming your stats are within the right range (which you are well on the way to).

(edited for size)

Thanks for what you have given back and continue to seek to give back to your country and world. Good luck.
Thanks, your response made me feel really good. I believe that's my main mission out of all this. I was in some experiences that I felt helpless to aid people in the right way and I want to be there for people in their lowest times and support them, mentally and physically. I'll be sure to raise the cumulative GPA up and I am going over some MCAT knowledge already and retaining as much as I can from the premed requirement classes. Thanks for your response. :).

Hey preMedDonut, as has been said above, thank for your service to our country. I agree with what has been said above, but I would like to reaffirm that military service seems to be (according to the general wisdom on this forum) a large plus for MD ADCOMS. To quote LizzyM (I hope she doesn't mind :) )

"In my experience, military service is worth 5 LizzyM points"

It should be noted that she speaks as a member of an adcom from one top rated school, so there may be a lot of differences of opinion on this out there. Even if the benefit is not so extreme, it definitely is a strong factor in your favor and should really help you on the admissions trail! Good Luck!

Thanks for the input and I found it ironic that she posted right after you, haha. I appreciate the kindness from you about me serving. This got me pretty pumped for sure! :)

You might consider volunteering at a VA Medical Center, if you have one nearby. The veterans who need help will value your service to them and you can relate to them in a special way. And it is a way to gain some clinical exposure.

It is true that adcoms have been very, very good to military veterans over the past 5-6 cycles, in my experience at one school and what I've seen on this board.

That's you good you mentioned that because I actually just had a appointment there yesterday and was thinking about doing volunteer work there. I don't know if this is a myth or what, but I heard it wouldn't be good to get most of the shadowing from a VA medical center because they don't go through the same process as a regular medical doctor (paperwork and such). I am absolutely clueless on the paperwork and how ADCOMS look at it, but it would be some good insight if I should shadow elsewhere or be okay to shadow mostly at the VA center. I actually have two of them near me. Thanks for your input LizzyM!

In Summary: Thanks for all the kind words everyone and I am about to get back to the grind to uplift this cumulative GPA. I just called up my VA medical center and I will begin volunteering there on Friday. Does it seem like this to anyone else, or this could be my military experience talking about hardships, but it's pretty much just a checklist to get into medical school. Get a 3.5 or better GPA, 30+ MCAT, volunteering hours, clinical experience and you are better much bound to get in somewhere in the US MD schools, right? That's obviously simplified greatly, but that's how I look at things one at a time.

That's you good you mentioned that because I actually just had a appointment there yesterday and was thinking about doing volunteer work there. I don't know if this is a myth or what, but I heard it wouldn't be good to get most of the shadowing from a VA medical center because they don't go through the same process as a regular medical doctor (paperwork and such). I am absolutely clueless on the paperwork and how ADCOMS look at it, but it would be some good insight if I should shadow elsewhere or be okay to shadow mostly at the VA center. I actually have two of them near me. Thanks for your input LizzyM!

In Summary: Thanks for all the kind words everyone and I am about to get back to the grind to uplift this cumulative GPA. I just called up my VA medical center and I will begin volunteering there on Friday. Does it seem like this to anyone else, or this could be my military experience talking about hardships, but it's pretty much just a checklist to get into medical school. Get a 3.5 or better GPA, 30+ MCAT, volunteering hours, clinical experience and you are better much bound to get in somewhere in the US MD schools, right? That's obviously simplified greatly, but that's how I look at things one at a time.

Shadowing at just VA hospitals should be fine. There is no gpa and MCAT combination that is a 100% sure-fire guarantee of admission to medical school but a 3.5 and 30+ will give you better than average odds to get into a medical school. If you aren't picky about which school, a 3.5/30 should open at least one door, if you apply broadly (at least 15 schools, most targeted based on your stats and skipping your out-of-state schools that are focused on their own in-state students), apply early, and interview well.