Exactly how many years to become Lasik Surgeon?

Started by 1AO KTG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1AO KTG

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many years is that sub specialty? Is every case very similar in this practice?
 
Lolz. It's called being an ophthalmologist. After med school, there's a one year internship (wikipedia is telling me it's transitional, IM, surgery, or peds), then 3 years of ophthalmology residency. Afterwards, you can practice as a general ophthalmologist or attain more training in fellowships. If you want to be doing refractive surgery, you'd probably want to attain a fellowship in Corneal and External Diseases which is a year long. Overall, that's 5 years of post-graduate training.
 
4 med school + 1 year prelim + 3 years optho. lasik training is 1wk-1yr after that depending on how you train.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lolz. It's called being an ophthalmologist. After med school, there's a one year internship (wikipedia is telling me it's transitional, IM, surgery, or peds), then 3 years of ophthalmology residency. Afterwards, you can practice as a general ophthalmologist or attain more training in fellowships. If you want to be doing refractive surgery, you'd probably want to attain a fellowship in Corneal and External Diseases which is a year long. Overall, that's 5 years of post-graduate training.

I'm well aware it's ophthalmology. Hence I said sub specialty. Lol
 
question: can't you just match straight into optho,without the prelim year, if you are a strong enough candidate? I always see about 3-7 optho matches on most MSIV match lists.
 
plastics doesn't float your boat anymore? after optho will your interest switch to derm?
I remember you. You really don't like me do you? To answer your question maybe. Plastic surgery in very lengthy. I'm just not sure it's smart. I assure you I'm not some greedy evil guy out for nothing but money. I'm also greatly interested in Internal medicine if you had of remembered that too.
 
question: can't you just match straight into optho,without the prelim year, if you are a strong enough candidate? I always see about 3-7 optho matches on most MSIV match lists.

Optho is through the SF match. So while you match as a fourth year, you also have to match into a prelim on your own. You do the prelim then have an agreement to do the optho after it. It's 2 separate matches and we just like to write optho on the match sheets because it reflects what they will be going in to.
 
Optho is through the SF match. So while you match as a fourth year, you also have to match into a prelim on your own. You do the prelim then have an agreement to do the optho after it. It's 2 separate matches and we just like to write optho on the match sheets because it reflects what they will be going in to.

Sounds stressful. And Code Blue no. I'm not interested in anesthesiology at all. All I hear is of anesthesiologists reading and doing crossword puzzles during surgery. 35 plus years, I dont think so man. I know I'm not completely accurate, but I can't be too far off
 
Sounds stressful. And Code Blue no. I'm not interested in anesthesiology at all. All I hear is of anesthesiologists reading and doing crossword puzzles during surgery. 35 plus years, I dont think so man. I know I'm not completely accurate, but I can't be too far off

Words with Friends actually... and I plan on doing pain management.

Or Rads. One of the two.
 
Sounds stressful. And Code Blue no. I'm not interested in anesthesiology at all. All I hear is of anesthesiologists reading and doing crossword puzzles during surgery. 35 plus years, I dont think so man. I know I'm not completely accurate, but I can't be too far off

where did you get this impression from?
 
4 years of optometry school, 1 year of moving to a state that lets you do LASIK surgery.

:laugh:
 
where did you get this impression from?


He's not too far off...

A lot of minimally-invasive and/or longer procedures allow for ample time to check stocks, etc. That being said, when things go wrong, which is pretty rare, they go REALLY wrong.
 
just confirming you can't get out of intern year. you'll see people matched into ophtho but you'll also see the same names under a non-categorical match as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He's not too far off...

A lot of minimally-invasive and/or longer procedures allow for ample time to check stocks, etc. That being said, when things go wrong, which is pretty rare, they go REALLY wrong.

makes sense, but when i shadowed an anesthesiologist, i didn't see any of this so i was just a little skeptical.