Examkrackers = Dummies/Idiot's guide to the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Somewhat of an odd question --

I've never seen these Examkracker books and, with all the rave reviews, am inclined to snatch 'em up.

However, I keep hearing how the method of instruction uses HUMOR and that conjures up images of "3 words to a page", useless trivia, and cute graphics found in those "DUMMIES/IDIOTS GUIDE TO __insert clever phrase_" books which I hate.

I haven't seen the Berkeley Review or ExamKracker books. Can someone comment more specifically on the teaching style and organization of the book? :confused:

What I'm looking for is a dense, yet terse, no-nonsense review book. From what I've seen in the SAT, LSAT, GMAT and GRE study aids, Kaplan and TPR are mediocre (not enough detail) and ARCO is very weak. What I do like is the big Schaum's Biology text. Straight to the point. Anything out there close to that?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Getting beyond the silly graphics etc., the EK books are very good because they are so well written. Orsay writes in a concise hit the nail on the head time after time kind of way. :thumbup: I say this with no real basis of comparsion to other review books.

Yea- the EK books aren't really humorous- but the kracker character 'Salty' does make more interesting what can be a dense review of materials. However, I've not yet read the books the whole way through.

has anyone seen the complete package they advertise. I have checked both amazon and barnes and noble and these books seem to have the best and most consistent ratings. They have one package that is five books, but neither site says which books they are. If anyone knows I would be very appreciative.

First, I'm not sure the EK is the "for dummies" book; I'd say that it is no fluff - so you get the stuff you need to know and not the "here's everything you could possibly see" that other books might give you.

Second, the five book set has Physics, Organic, Verbal, Bio, and Chem. Well worth the money - I think they also throw in an EK exam for good measure.

All that said, I did use the Kaplan big book (the one you can get from Barnes & Noble) and all the AAMC tests, of course.

Good luck all.

dc