MCAT Examkrackers MCAT Prep Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EKTestPrep

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Take five textbooks and just add water. This is apparently how most MCAT prep books are written. Do you really want to prepare for your MCAT with a watered-down textbook? A good MCAT prep book should do more than list the formulas and rehash the science in a couple of sentences. A good MCAT prep book gives you a 'sense' of MCAT by pointing out what you need to know for the MCAT, and what you don't. A great MCAT prep book shows you how to 'think MCAT'. Examkrackers MCAT prep books teach you to 'think MCAT'.

[YOUTUBE]ui1ogQE5gFE[/YOUTUBE]

(7th Edition) Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Package
(Includes all five our our text books below plus a free simulated exam EK-1h!)
Price: $174.95
1893858499.jpg

(7th Edition) Examkrackers MCAT Biology
Price: $45.99

1893858448.jpg

(7th Edition) Examkrackers MCAT Chemistry
Price: $36.99

1893858472.jpg

(7th Edition) Examkrackers MCAT Organic Chemistry
Price: $29.99
1893858464.jpg

(7th Edition) Examkrackers MCAT Physics
Price: $41.99

1893858456.jpg

(7th Edition) Examkrackers MCAT Verbal Reasoning and Math
Price: $19.99

1893858480.jpg

There is simply no set of MCAT manuals that even attempts to do what the Examkrackers manuals have accomplished. That's why the Examkrackers Complete MCAT Study Package became the best selling MCAT preparation study set in the country after less that two months on the market.

Our books can be purchased from our website at www.examkrackers.com or can be ordered over the phone at 1-888-KRACKEM (572-2536). Good luck on your MCAT!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have any sample schedule that students can follow using your books? I've seen other prep books have syllabus that guides students on how best to use their books. Also, do the 1001 questions correspond to the review chapters? When you say $174.95 for complete set, does it include the 1001 books as well? If it is, good deal when compared to buying each one.

Last edited:
How different are each edition of the books? I've read on the forum that your books don't really change with each edition. If I have the fifth edition, is that okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the 1001 question books have a lot of passages to practice with along with detailed content analysis and answer explanations?

I also have a question about the 1001 books. Are they purely just content questions, or purely passage-based questions. Perhaps a mix of both types?

I also have a question about the 1001 books. Are they purely just content questions, or purely passage-based questions. Perhaps a mix of both types?

I have an older edition, and it's purely questions in 1001. Maybe that's changed in the seventh edition. What would make them so much better is the addition of real explanations for all of the questions. One sentence answers don't cut it sometimes.

Who makes the questions? How often are they updated

Does the complete set include questions for the verbal section?

So the EK books mentioned in the original post only have a review of the material? If we wish to do practice problems, that would be in the 1001 books?

We do have a Self Study or Home Study syllabus on our website:www.examkrackers.com that will follow our books/audio osmosis and which AAMC practice tests to use. The 1001 series is designed for you to practice sample questions on each subject matter in the official test format, so that you get used to how to apply the information you have mastereds to the types of questions you will see on your official MCAT. The complete set of books refers to our study pack of each subject manual...not the 1001 series.

We are currently on our seventh edition of books. They do not change all that much, and for accuracy, you will want to visit our errata section on our forum to address concerns you have with the editions, typos and the like. Any new/ updated/ corrected information will be identified here in this forum.

The 1001 series have hundreds of practice questions with detailed explanations found inside the book. Additionally, you may visit our student forum on our website www.examkrackers.com and read through message threads addressing questions others have posted regarding our material..or you may post a new thread to answer questions you have regarding the material. Very informative and beneficial and individualized to your concerns.

The 1001 books are a nice mix of both content and passage based questions. They are thought provoking, concise and an excellent type of "practice" question you will appreciate.

Members don't see this ad :)
The complete study pack of EK manuals are written with content information explaining each subject, followed by timed practice tests, with explanations. The 1001 series is practice questions and explanations only.

Thank you for your answer and confirmation. The fifth edition and seventh editions are basically the same and either will work. I was hoping not to have to shell out money for new books, so news like that is a relief.

I want to politely point out a small contradiction in your posts, so you can edit it. In one post you said the 1001 books are passage based questions and then two posts later you say there are just questions and answers in the 1001 books, and no passages. My 1001 books have no passages, so you might want to change that.

My last question is why is it cheaper to buy your books at other sites like Amazon than it is to buy them at your site?

Thank you for your answer and confirmation. The fifth edition and seventh editions are basically the same and either will work. I was hoping not to have to shell out money for new books, so news like that is a relief.

I want to politely point out a small contradiction in your posts, so you can edit it. In one post you said the 1001 books are passage based questions and then two posts later you say there are just questions and answers in the 1001 books, and no passages. My 1001 books have no passages, so you might want to change that.

My last question is why is it cheaper to buy your books at other sites like Amazon than it is to buy them at your site?

Hi Swagster,

To clarify, as a med student and a passionate instructor, my biggest concern/desire is that you use our books, even if you get them second hand and don't send any more money our way. Our materials are excellent and I feel sad every time a student tells me that he/she would have used our books/courses if only he/she'd known in time, so I'm alwas happy when people get the word out about our materials so more students can have an easier and more successful experience studying for the MCAT.

It may very well be cheaper at other websites. Do what's best for your wallet, but use our books. I wouldn't recommend, however, getting all the 1001 books necessarily. I'll explain for everyone in a separate post, so please look for that.

Most of the 1001 books are just discreet questions. The bio 1001 is passage based.

Oh, as for the editions of our books, they mostly change to fix typos (though each publication seems to make a new set of typos crop up) and for aesthetics, so that everything is organized in a clearer fashion (very old editions just seem dry and lifeless and are more difficult to get through). The content and methods are the same because the MCAT hasn't changed very much and the science almost not at all. Why fix something that's not broken? What we work on in each edition is mostly the presentation.

Good luck!

Do the 1001 question books have a lot of passages to practice with along with detailed content analysis and answer explanations?

So the EK books mentioned in the original post only have a review of the material? If we wish to do practice problems, that would be in the 1001 books?

Hi guys,

Just so you know, there's a separate thread that deals with 1001 books. Still, so you don't get confused going between them, I'll answer these questions here. The bio 1001 book is passage based. The others are discreet only. The "complete set" includes a lot of practice problems, half discreet, half passage-based. They comprise a comprehensive set and are all that's really necessary for most students (all I ever used). They feature every bit of absolutely essential information as well as every type of question you're expected to be able to answer.

The 1001 books aren't for everyone. We work hard to not overwhelm students with materials and information, the way many other major test prep companies do, and so we don't recommend that students go out and buy all of our books just because they're there and try to do all of the problems. You should only buy a 1001 book if you're weak in that entire subject, or especially weak in some topic in that subject. For example, if you hate torque problems and realize you need lots of practice in them, pick up the 1001 Physics problem book and do all the torque problems.

If you're weak in all of physics, however, then we recommend you buy that book and do every fifth problem and then go through the explanations carefully. When you come across a problem for which the explanation doesn't grant complete clarity, or that you feel you need more practice on, go back and do all the problems around that problem. The 1001 books aren't for learning all the material but just for focused practice on your weakest topics. If you try to do all 4004 questions, you'll likely burn out and that's not our intention.

The 101 VR Passages book, on the other hand, is a must-have for everyone. Practice makes perfect in verbal and we can all use more practice.

Take care, best of luck, and post again (in the proper thread, so everyone can benefit), if you have any more questions!

Who makes the questions? How often are they updated

About which questions are you asking? The complete set of books was mostly authored by Jon Orsay. The 1001 books were authored by other experts in the respective fields. The questions are excellent and are not updated or revised except when student-posed questions and confusion necessitates clarification in the wording of a question or explanation. In the years that I've been teaching and before that when I studied using much older versions of our books to study for my own MCAT, I've seen a few handfuls of questions/explanations change or be removed altogether. But they're mostly excellent and any updating has been only for the sake of making them more useful to students. The questions, especially in the complete set, are made such in order to be comprehensive, which, for example, no one diagnostic exam or set of exams could ever claim to be, and so tinkering with those questions would mostly diminish their efficacy.

I have an EK Verbal Reasoning book that I bought back in 2007(dont know which edition that would be); Compared to the 7th edition that you are advertizing above, how different are they?
Are there any major changes that would warrant me getting the new one vs using that old one?

I have an EK Verbal Reasoning book that I bought back in 2007(dont know which edition that would be); Compared to the 7th edition that you are advertizing above, how different are they?
Are there any major changes that would warrant me getting the new one vs using that old one?

I'd check the edition. It might be the same edition. I don't think that books have been changed drastically and that mostly the length of the tests decreased when the CBT format went into practice (which was in 2007). Over the years, I've seen some explanations in our verbal materials change to address concerns and confusions from students, but generally the books, and especially the methods are unchanged and as useful now as always.

The 101 Passages book stresses detail and semantics more than I'd like and more than is indicated by the real test, but this is similar in effect to the increased difficulty of all our problems. You're going to not only have to practice making good main ideas and keeping them in mind while answering questions, but also to focus a lot when reading passages and questions/answers. This practice will help immensely on the real thing, which should feel easy by comparison. I know that all the AAMC MCATs I've seen online have had easier, more main-idea-oriented VR problems that seem like a breeze after going through the 101 VR passages book.

We forgot to mention earlier that, as in past years, we will be holding a raffle at the end of this week. We will be choosing randomly from all the commenters who have contributed meaningfully to the respective threads and giving away the following two prizes:

One free 9 week comprehensive course this summer
One free complete set of EK books

Here's the fine print:
The course must be in any of the locations schedules for the summer 2011, it is not transferable to anyone else and it can be deferred to another semester. Taxes, shipping will be covered.
For the winner of the study pack, it will be shipped free of charge anywhere in the US.
Neither raffle prize can be exchanged for money or anything else.

All you have to do to be eligible is to follow the guidelines given by SDN here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=790797 and to have posted in the respective threads (EK employees, of course, are not eligible). After this week wraps up, I will pick the winners randomly and post their names on the threads, as well as contact them via private message with the email address and confirmation code they should use to redeem their prize. Go to the above link to make sure you are eligible and be sure to check in to see if you've won, as I'll be following the reprizing guidelines there in case I don't hear back from the winner.

I want to emphasize again that anyone interested should visit that SDN page, because some of the most prolific commenters on these threads are still not eligible according to those guidelines. It's not too late to change that!

As always, students in Examkrackers courses get a 30% discount on all other EK materials (applicable only once per title).

Best of luck to all of you!

UPDATE
SDN handles the raffle and has/will notify the winners independently. We are not involved in that process and don't determine or contact the winners. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
Can you clarify for me who the author of the EK series is? I've heard something about a Jordan Zaretsky and David Orsay. However, the cover says Jonathan Orsay. Thanks.

Are these books also given to the winner of the raffle course? or does the course use a different set of books?

How do people gain access to the errata lists for the EK books?

I think they're available now if you just make a free account.

Can you clarify for me who the author of the EK series is? I've heard something about a Jordan Zaretsky and David Orsay. However, the cover says Jonathan Orsay. Thanks.

Yes, that was almost accurate. Jonathan Orsay was the main author of the main lecture books, and he was helped extensively on much of them by Jordan Zaretsky, who helped him to found and run EK.

Are these books also given to the winner of the raffle course? or does the course use a different set of books?

One set of our lecture books (with homework problems and in-class exams) are being raffled off, as is an entire comprehensive course (which includes those same books, along with AAMC diagnostic exams, a 16 mini mcats book, and, of course, live instruction). We use the same set of books in our class and offer them even to students who don't take our course. The course is really just for students who would like/need an expert to explain the content and methods of the books to them. If that's not necessary for you, the books will do just fine, as they did for me.

I think they're available now if you just make a free account.

Yes, thank you, tttgo, for pointing this out. The errata section has been made available to everyone who wants to see it. Please read elsewhere in our threads for a lengthy discussion about and leading to this recent change, should you so desire. Otherwise, if you're just interested in seeing the errata and annotating your EK books, go to www.examkrackers.com > MCAT > forum > errata

Status
Not open for further replies.