MCAT Examkrackers Nine Week Comprehensive Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EKTestPrep

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Members:

Attached to this post are descriptions of Examkrackers Live Comprehensive Courses, and of our approach to the CBT.

Please post in this thread with your questions regarding our Comprehensive Courses.

To find an EK Course near you, please go to www.examkrackers.com and select MCAT course finder.

We currently have more than 60 locations across the US as well as the best MCAT prep books on the market. Examkrackers has four major points that have helped our students receive high scores on the MCAT.

1) Best Teachers - Examkrackers has the best teachers. Examkrackers pays our teachers more than other test prep companies. Not only are we able to attract the best teachers this way, we also reward highly motivated teachers by giving them bonuses according to their student ratings. Although all of our teachers have very high scores, their teaching ability is what sets them apart from our competitors. Through student review every two weeks, we are able to insure that we give students a responsive teaching environment as well as the high quality teaching that they deserve.

2) #1 Materials - Since the first Examkrackers books appeared on the market, they have shot up and stayed at #1 on the Amazon MCAT prep book list. Our books are colorful, engaging and thought provoking, designed to help the students stay focused and learning the whole time. Our materials are so good that some students taking competitor prep courses have bought Examkrackers books instead of using the books provided.

3) Intelligent Classroom Approach - It is hard enough paying attention to a long movie for the whole duration, let alone a long lecture. Examkrackers realizes this and designed the class time to maximize learning. Lectures are kept to 50 minutes to help students stay focused the whole time. The lectures are then followed by 30 minutes of passages and free standing questions to highlight important points of the lecture and for practice with tough questions. Finally, the students follow along in the last 30 minutes as they see how someone with very high MCAT scores approaches the same problems. This helps them gain insight as to mistakes that they may be making as well as offering them the chance to pick up tips and techniques that the teachers used when they took the MCAT.

4) Unique Verbal Approach - A frequent cause of a low score on the verbal section of the MCAT is the inability to get through the entire section. However, doing well on this section of the MCAT can significantly help a student get into medical school. Examkrackers’ unique verbal approach teaches students to think like the author of the passage instead of spending valuable time writing down notes and paragraph summaries as they tackle each passage. Many students find that by practicing our simple techniques and strategies, they are able to complete the entire verbal section and score quite well.

The materials included with the comprehensive course include:
5 Coursebooks (biology, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and verbal)
"16 MiniMCATs" book containing 16 one hour miniMCAT exams
5 CBT exams

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you only offer 5 of the 8 AAMCs, when other companies offer access to all 8, plus extra online materials, for the same cost?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to take an Examkrackers course but it doesn't look like there are any available where I live. Do you guys have any plans to expand in the Northwest?

You may contact me regarding an instructor position and we can go over your qualifications to teach for us, along with compensation etc.

We offer in class testing in every one of our classes that meet twice a week, along with 5 full length AAMC practice tests that are taken every other weekend. We designed our course, realistically, with what you can handle and what YOU will need to; effectively prepare for your MCAT.
We feel that providing an over abundance of practice tests, material, resources, etc..ultimately just confuses a student and they are overwhelmed with material and never really know where or what to focus on. Thus, their preparation becomes strained and incomplete.
At Examkrackers, we have taken all the subject matter, practice tests, lectures and review into consideration when designing our LIVE courses, and self study. We are accurate, robust, concise and realistic with what we reccommend. We know MCAT and will prepare you to do your best and we will provide you with what you need to improve your scores.

We offer in class testing in every one of our classes that meet twice a week, along with 5 full length AAMC practice tests that are taken every other weekend. We designed our course, realistically, with what you can handle and what YOU will need to; effectively prepare for your MCAT.
We feel that providing an over abundance of practice tests, material, resources, etc..ultimately just confuses a student and they are overwhelmed with material and never really know where or what to focus on. Thus, their preparation becomes strained and incomplete.
At Examkrackers, we have taken all the subject matter, practice tests, lectures and review into consideration when designing our LIVE courses, and self study. We are accurate, robust, concise and realistic with what we reccommend. We know MCAT and will prepare you to do your best and we will provide you with what you need to improve your scores.

So you offer less because you think more practice would be confusing? Then why do you sell all those additional practice books? For $2000, other companies offer access to all of their materials and AAMCs. It seems to me that for the same price, EK provides substantially less, and charges more for anything additional.

You're right, I am confused. :confused:

You may contact me regarding an instructor position and we can go over your qualifications to teach for us, along with compensation etc.

I'm not looking for a job. You stated that you pay your instructors more than any other test prep company, so I was wondering what you paid. I have no idea how much anyone pays their teachers and was a little curious if there was a bidding war. You make that claim, so I figured you'd be proud to say how much you pay your teachers versus how much other companies pay their teachers. How much do other companies pay their teachers? To be honest, I'd think that someone like CBwebinar would have the highest salary because they have professors. If you can list the salaries for teachers at the various prep companies, including your company, I think that would be interesting information.

I'm not looking for a job. You stated that you pay your instructors more than any other test prep company, so I was wondering what you paid. I have no idea how much anyone pays their teachers and was a little curious if there was a bidding war. You make that claim, so I figured you'd be proud to say how much you pay your teachers versus how much other companies pay their teachers. How much do other companies pay their teachers? To be honest, I'd think that someone like CBwebinar would have the highest salary because they have professors. If you can list the salaries for teachers at the various prep companies, including your company, I think that would be interesting information.

Hello again, Swagster,

I don't know if I'm allowed to discuss how much I'm paid by Examkrackers, though I know that I have never heard of an instructor at the two larger companies paying any of their instructors that much (I've taught SAT prep for TPR and have had a lot of friends look into teaching for both companies for the MCAT, so I've heard a lot about their pay and availability of classes. In fact, when I took an abridged Kaplan MCAT before starting to study for the MCAT, I got a 33 and was invited to teach for them - even though I hadn't started studying for the MCAT).

My guess as to why our course is more expensive is a combination of our paying our instructors more and a lack of economies of scale. If we were as big as Kaplan, we could afford to charge less and still spend as much money on marketing. The person who responded to your question above is my supervisor and knows all the ins and outs of the business end of EK. But I'm not sure if she'd want to discuss where all the money is going exactly.

The bottom line is that whether it will make sense to you or not why our course is as much as it is (just so you know, there are early registration and preview attendance discounts that will take some money off), we feel you're paying for a high quality product. It's not always possible to discount a higher quality product, and it's not always necessary to do so to attract more people. Nor do quality and quantity go hand in hand. But that's getting into things that other people have asked about, so please read below as I respond to their questions. I am not at all interested in or good at marketing. I only am grateful for the help I've gotten from EK materials and given as an EK instructor, and don't want any other students to miss out. If you feel I'm giving you a spiel or that I'm at all dishonest or insincere, please probe away because I want you to have peace/clarity of mind in your choice of test prep course/material.

So you offer less because you think more practice would be confusing? Then why do you sell all those additional practice books? For $2000, other companies offer access to all of their materials and AAMCs. It seems to me that for the same price, EK provides substantially less, and charges more for anything additional.

You're right, I am confused. :confused:

hackintosh, we meet again. I am enjoying your sardonic wit. Please read above for what I've written to swagster. As I've written in the complete set thread (in response to all the misplaced questions about the 1001 series), the complete set is comprehensive. It's all I ever used (in addition to the Audio Osmosis CDs) to score 33 and 37 on the MCAT. I never took the course. So remember that you always have the option to just use the books. They're excellent and they sell themselves and I never felt the need for greater explanation after using them. In fact, at least half of what I teach my students comes out of the explanations in the back of the book, which is why I'm always telling them to read each and every one of them, as there's no "teacher's edition" for EK and we don't have training in which we're taught the science behind the MCAT. I learned to be an instructor from the same materials that everyone out there can buy for themselves.

However, many people find the explanations to be too pat, especially when, for them, MCAT prep isn't a review of material once understood and forgotten, but instead a chance to properly learn things that were never understood or clearly taught to them in the first place. For those people, more practice and explanation is necessary. Both can be obtained by taking the course or by using the 1001 books. We sell that as additional material because we don't want students to be unnecessarily overwhelmed.

I addressed the money issue in the reply to swagster. I'll say to you that the money you pay for our course doesn't just go toward quantity but also toward quality. The same item at a fast food restaurant is going to cost less than at a quality restaurant because the fast food joint stretches its dollar by putting in a lot of filler. That's how I feel about the materials I've seen from the other companies, or even by their packaging more AAMC tests with their products. I don't know enough about their finances to understand how they do it, but I know that having even more than 5 or 6 diagnostic exams to give to students is not correlated with a better result, and I know from all the former students of other test prep companies that I've taught that we are not lacking when it comes to quality.

Still, if you're convinced you're better off with one of them, I won't try to stop you. I wouldn't want you to be an unwilling student of mine if you were in my area and so I wouldn't try to thwart your free will. My concern extends only to the students who choose them because they don't know better, and you seem to be an educated consumer. Other things you've mentioned here and elsewhere I'll address below. As I said to swagster, please don't hesitate to ask further questions if anything's unclear or you feel I'm giving you the company line or whatever.

Best of luck!

Examkrackers doesn't seem to offer the best course, according to this thread...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802460

Might as well just buy their books and study on your own.

As a passionate follower and teacher of EK methods/principles for 9 years, that thread pained me to read. Still, I appreciate the honest criticism. Also, I'm glad you feel so strongly about our materials. We're on agreement on that note, and I always have to resist telling my students that the books provide explanation/prep enough. After all, most people who can do well without having a live instructor explaining things with different examples and such, tailoring explanations to a specific student's questions during time before/after class...wouldn't be in the course.

Oh, Total Sugar, please don't tell people to use their credit cards to dispute the charge from EK. The EK policies for refunds are stated on the website, as hackintosh has explained, and so anyone who's put off by that should not pay for the course. Disputing charges on one's credit card is for fraudulent activity. To sign up for a course, keep the materials, and refuse to pay is not right. If you feel the instructors are no good and want the opportunity to be taught by better ones, bring this up with EK and they will do their best to help you.

On the subject of instructors, you guys are right, that the quality of the course depends on instruction, and that can be hit or miss. No one feels the brunt of that more than people like my supervisor and I, she because she's responsible for the course, and I because I am responsible for training and supporting instructors and it's so hard to find and keep quality instructors and to hold them accountable for the quality of their work. One way we encourage quality is to have their pay based on the evaluations that students give them. If you're not happy with your instructors, we hear about it, as do they, and their paychecks suffer as well. If their evaluations are mediocre (let alone bad), they get fired. But that's little consolation to you (since you just want a good instructor, not for bad ones to be punished) or for us (since we have to go find newer, better instructors).

Still, we do our best always to attract and cultivate quality instructors who can properly teach our methods. That doesn't require much more than a real desire to learn and a real desire to teach. I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert on Physics, but I'm certainly an expert on MCAT Physics (as well as the other subjects on the MCAT). PhDs and MDs can also be great MCAT instructors, but one does not beget the other. So always ask students who've taken a course where you're going to take it what they think of their instructors and if they helped them to understand the material better and feel more confident/relaxed when taking the test. You'll know you're in good hands when you know the science better from prepping for the MCAT. The MCAT is not a test of memorization - it's a test of understanding of basic concepts, things that are going to come up again in med school. No gimmick can substitute real understanding, so insist on it.

Speaking of which, the comments on the thread to which you linked reminded me of the flame wars that pop up incessantly on youtube comment threads. I'm sincerely sorry for your sincere frustration over your experience, and we will try to do our best to help you going forward. But, to all of you, don't just listen to people online. Speak to people who've actually taken the different courses in your area and see what they have to say. It's hard for me to guarantee a certain level of quality around the country, especially when there's so much turnover in instruction, but the overall country is high based on inside and outside knowledge of the course, and I could never imagine you feeling that way if you came to my sites in NJ and were taught by me.

Oh, one last thing. The test has not significantly changed in the years I've been teaching MCAT classes. Orgo has decreased in importance. The test is smaller. And my subjective impression is that all the things that are put into passages and questions to confuse and distract you, and to disguise the concept being tested have increased, which makes confidence more important than ever (it's still a standardized test, which means if the format or presentation is harder for everyone, your score shouldn't suffer...unless your confidence is shaken and everyone else's isn't. So more distractors weed out the people who forget that this is a test of your ability to find some simple concept in the midst of a lot of technical distractors without losing your confidence). The real substance of the books hasn't changed since before 2007 (though the format and presentation are always improving for the sake of clarity) because the science, the strategies and skills needed, the integration, the math abilities, the concepts - all these are unchanged. A complete revamping (which no company has done in this time outside of aesthetics) would be an admission of our materials' failure, which isn't the reality (and thankfully, that's one thing on which we agree).

As I said to others before you, I don't mean to give you the company line. If you've already decided how you feel and just have frustrations to vent with us, then there's probably no need for further discussion, but if you have other questions/comments, I'd be happy to address them. I feel for you and wish you the best and readily concede that such an experience is possible with us and I am very frustrated that that is the case, since I work so hard to support EK instructors nationwide to improve the quality of our program and help more and more students. But I would stack our company up against any and question the veracity of any sweeping critical generalizations about our products.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here we are again.

So where is there really research to support that students who take 8 AAMCs don't do better than those who take 5? How was 5 determined to be the magic number? I think I take the most objection to the prescriptive nature of Examkrackers.
You offer 5 of the 8 AAMCs because one more would be too much. Additional questions are only required for special circumstances, and would otherwise overwhelm a normal student.
Maybe so, but other companies give me the option to decide for myself, without paying more money. If I want to take a 6th, 7th or 8th practice test, I can. If I want to spend hours going though a 1000 question test bank, it's available. Sure, it might be more than the average student needs, but for $2000, every possible resource is available.
Frankly, this is analogous to what I think is wrong with medicine today and why I want to be a doctor. Listen to your patients' (or students') needs and don't just tell them that you know best what is best for everybody. Learning, like a person's health, is incredibly personal. Maybe most students would do best to follow your magic formula, but you don't give any other options.
And as for quality vs. quantity, I think the fast food example is overreaching a bit--that is unless you're willing to admit that your entrees have been sitting under a heat lamp since 2007. You know what make the French Laundry the best restaurant in the world? Fresh and innovative cuisine. A menu that changes daily to reflect what is current and important at that moment.
The EK materials are at least 4 years old (the 16 mini mcats is closer to 7 or 8) and need to be refreshed. The website says that errata are almost nonexistent, but I have to ask why EK hasn't at least published an edition fixing all of the admitted errors, let alone reviewing the material, in half a decade. For a company claiming that hard work and dedication is so important, I don't see it when you are still publishing physics books with section headers like "Fiction."

The simple fact is, considering EK charges as much as the big guys (don't get me wrong, I love an underdog), they need to act like one. Publish a new edition once and a while. The EK forum has year-old posts from people asking when the 8th edition is going to come out, for crying out loud. How much do you really pay to offer your students 5 of the 8 AAMCs? Would 3 more cut into the profit margin that much? And speaking of that, tell me, if instructors are paid more or less based on student reviews, do you refund the difference to the students with the bad instructors? Or are you telling me that Examkrackers pockets extra money when they have poorly reviewed teachers? Who does that economic incentive really benefit?

I can believe that you believe you are doing what's best for students, but right now I'm not convinced that Examkrackers isn't packing snake oil for you to sell.

Here we are again.

So where is there really research to support that students who take 8 AAMCs don't do better than those who take 5? How was 5 determined to be the magic number? I think I take the most objection to the prescriptive nature of Examkrackers.
You offer 5 of the 8 AAMCs because one more would be too much. Additional questions are only required for special circumstances, and would otherwise overwhelm a normal student.
Maybe so, but other companies give me the option to decide for myself, without paying more money. If I want to take a 6th, 7th or 8th practice test, I can. If I want to spend hours going though a 1000 question test bank, it's available. Sure, it might be more than the average student needs, but for $2000, every possible resource is available.
Frankly, this is analogous to what I think is wrong with medicine today and why I want to be a doctor. Listen to your patients' (or students') needs and don't just tell them that you know best what is best for everybody. Learning, like a person's health, is incredibly personal. Maybe most students would do best to follow your magic formula, but you don't give any other options.
And as for quality vs. quantity, I think the fast food example is overreaching a bit--that is unless you're willing to admit that your entrees have been sitting under a heat lamp since 2007. You know what make the French Laundry the best restaurant in the world? Fresh and innovative cuisine. A menu that changes daily to reflect what is current and important at that moment.
The EK materials are at least 4 years old (the 16 mini mcats is closer to 7 or 8) and need to be refreshed. The website says that errata are almost nonexistent, but I have to ask why EK hasn't at least published an edition fixing all of the admitted errors, let alone reviewing the material, in half a decade. For a company claiming that hard work and dedication is so important, I don't see it when you are still publishing physics books with section headers like "Fiction."

The simple fact is, considering EK charges as much as the big guys (don't get me wrong, I love an underdog), they need to act like one. Publish a new edition once and a while. The EK forum has year-old posts from people asking when the 8th edition is going to come out, for crying out loud. How much do you really pay to offer your students 5 of the 8 AAMCs? Would 3 more cut into the profit margin that much? And speaking of that, tell me, if instructors are paid more or less based on student reviews, do you refund the difference to the students with the bad instructors? Or are you telling me that Examkrackers pockets extra money when they have poorly reviewed teachers? Who does that economic incentive really benefit?

I can believe that you believe you are doing what's best for students, but right now I'm not convinced that Examkrackers isn't packing snake oil for you to sell.

Hackintosh, thanks for your patience. I'll try to respond to your questions and analogies systematically.

There is no magic number, of course. There's no research that says 6 is 10% better than 5 at 15% extra cost or anything like that. The evidence that went into our format is experiential and empirical. Probably anecdotal as well. The people who made EK worked for years as test prep instructors/trainers beforehand and I trust their judgment (and results) over conventional wisdom.

As for the amount, the format is such as to fit the majority of students' needs. More tests are available, as are questions. So you're not handcuffed. You object also to the fact that they're not complimentary. I don't set prices, so I can only repeat that it's probably an issue of the price being set because of a combination of quality and economies of scale. I assure you that we're not all living in mansions while keeping you out of med school. Quite the opposite.

As for deciding things based on patients'/students' needs - I think you're speaking more to wants, not needs. If patients ask for more meds, higher doses, if they think that a little bit of physical therapy or a pap smear every two years for cervical cancer screening is good, then why not a lot of PT, why not pap smears every 6 months? A good doctor knows how much is recommended for the average patient, and when too much of a good thing does more harm than good. This is not some marketing ploy I'm telling you. This is the exact thinking that went into deciding how much we give our students. I've had students of mine, during breaks, hand out practice tests they'd downloaded online, charging each other a nominal fee to cover the cost of printing out dozens and dozens of tests. It's this mentality that I have to fight every course. This is NOT the way to a good score. And if not offering students more tests and questions and forcing all but the more resourceful/determined students from doing more, then I'm happy for that.

For years, I used to mention in my introductory lecture that while EK has other books, as do other companies, I strongly discourage students from getting them all and thinking that more is better. I would speak to them about the pre-med mentality that getting a huge stack of books, dropping them on a table with a resounding thud, and saying to oneself, "This is all the knowledge that could ever be tested on the MCAT. I will master all of this and then destroy the test." And I would point out that it was detrimental and counter-productive, that almost all of those students would fail to get through any large portion of that, let alone master any significant portion of it, and that they'd muddle up the information in their head, not get a good grasp of the important concepts, and burn out. Then, one day, I went to promote EK at a school and was surprised to find that it was a head-to-head promotion with Kaplan and TPR. The TPR rep actually took out a large stack of books and dropped them on the table dramatically to elicit that thud and make the point that they had so much to offer, and I had to laugh when it was my turn to tell the students that that was exactly what we wanted not to be. I actually bought the EK books based solely on their thinness, and I was happy I did. I think you'll see this better when you're in med school and you stop trying to know all that there is to know and focus first and most importantly on really mastering the high-yield, essential information/concepts. EK doesn't claim to teach everything that could be on the test, but instead, to focus on 95% of what will be on each test, and we have to fight students always to keep them from going that other route. EK and I can have the arrogance to say that we know what students need because we've been students, we've succeeded on the MCAT, and we've helped students for years. I see that now, but did not when I was studying for the MCAT.

I've taught and tutored so many students over the years who had previously taken TPR/Kaplan courses and were overwhelmed by the amount of material and information given and underwhelmed by the instruction. In fact, those students are disproportionately represented amongst those who seek private tutoring or take our MCAT Extra course. I don't recall meeting many, or any, students in person who had bad experiences with EK and subsequent good experiences with TPR/Kaplan. Have you?

Oh, and why 5? It works into our format. Students take tests every second week and are prepared in about 9-10 weeks to take the real thing. Many students try to save tests for the end, or try to hoard them from other sources to do all at once at the end and this hurts, not helps, them. As I've been saying until I've turned blue in the face - you don't get better from taking practice tests. You get better from reviewing them. You have to spend as much time reviewing them as you do taking them. Otherwise, just taking a bunch of practice tests, you won't improve from test to test, because you're the same person from one to the next. You haven't changed and neither will your score. 5 is plenty. Taking more will steer you away from a more comprehensive approach, like using our comprehensive set and 16 mini mcats book to make sure you cover all the topics.

Your fast food comment is clever, but I think a more apt analogy than French Laundry changing its menu is if the FDA changed its RDAs from year to year (or day to day? Did you wish to give a literal recommendation?) and decided that this year we should make sure that women of reproductive age should have high quantities of copper in their diet instead of folic acid just to switch things up a bit so people don't get bored or think they've stopped caring. Food is food. The changing taste is pleasing to our palate, but the nutrients in French Laundry's food doesn't change significantly. They surely haven't started putting non-edible or purely synthetic components into their food or had a trans-fat theme/promotion for a given week. They're just mixing up the ingredients. It's the form and presentation that's changed. We've been changing the form and presentation of our materials over the years, but the nutritional value has stayed pretty much the same, and the only change is that it's improved slightly. If a more than slight improvement is desired, I suppose that's our fault for setting the bar so high in the first place. There's only so much room for improvement when you're already this good.

In all the schooling I've done, I would always be mad at professors who would insist on the newest edition of the books we use in the class. They'd make it impossible for us to buy used books for cheap just because a few graphs and paragraphs were moved around in the new edition. We're doing students a favor. If they want to study on their own with a set of hand-me-down books, we're fine with that. We won't get more money, but at least they'll be in good hands and will likely recommend our materials to others. If they have a set of hand-me-downs, they can buy our course without those books and get a discount. Are you saying we should revamp a set of books that work, waste the time of a number of authors and editors, and force students to spend more money than they already are? Are you saying that other companies do this? From what I've seen, the big guys have only changed the look of their books, made them thinner and more numerous instead of tomes, made them less dry and more colorful. While our books were always thin, we've also made them more colorful. But the black text is really where it's at and we're still superior there.

The complete set of books are revamped every few years, and the errata that we publish online are fixed in each new edition. It HAS been a few years since our last edition, but so what? Perhaps we ran out of new colors to put into our books, I don't know. The content is still incredible. Did the AAMC stop testing Physics and include a section on Psychology or something? Why is it so necessary that we would have changed our books? I've seen the most recent exam the AAMC has made available online, and it's no different than any test I'd seen previously. I'd rock that test just as I rocked tests pre-2006. I'm only teaching my students what I know, so I am not worried for them one bit.

Oh, I didn't understand the "Physics books with section headers like 'Fiction'" reference.

Hmm, again, with money, I'm not involved in that aspect. But we have very few "bad" teachers and they don't last more than a few weeks (as long as it takes for the first set of evaluations to come in, for us to speak to the instructor and try to resolve the situation and support him/her, and for us to confirm there's been no change). In most classes, there are a minority of students who have negative things to say about their instructors regardless of how the rest of the class felt. It's been rare that instructors have really turned out to be bad. We don't have a set policy on how to handle that. In our region, I've taken over those classes at times, or taught complimentary review or tutoring classes, free of charge. We've always tried to find the best way to make sure the students got the knowledge and instruction and practice they had missed out on. I'm not sure who's convinced you that we're evil and hellbent on bleeding our students dry, but we've worked very hard to keep our students happy, and several of my students have been in regular contact with my supervisor and my supervisor's supervisor over the years because they were especially proactive and had a lot of questions and requests to improve their experience. They'd be on a first name basis and be texting the national coordinator for all EK programs and would know what's going on in EK as much as I did. If the EK policies with which you're so familiar seem cold or whatever to you, it's because we're trying always to not let our instructors suffer at the expense of our catering to the whims of students, or to keep the company from being screwed over by students who are litigious. Such students are a small minority, but a vocal one, and they take away time and resources that are better spent elsewhere. Students who don't interact with EK with such a decidedly contrary or contentious bent are generally very happy with their experiences and with the support that they get. People who just want to pay less or who want their money back for any perceived slight or shortcoming might be disappointed, but such an outcome is not outside of plausibility, though they might be better served to ask what EK can do to make sure that they improve their scores.

I'm not telling you any of those things you inferred. When instructors don't teach well, it hurts them and it hurts EK in addition to hurting the students. Again, the pay is pretty good even when the instructors don't get a bonus, but that's not an option. If they're not getting average evaluations of 7 or higher out of 10, they're not kept around. So if their bonus is decent, but not great, EK might get to keep more of the students' money, but that means that the next class taught at that site will have a harder time filling its class. For all our efforts to help students, EK is still also running a business and not looking to operate at a loss. So while students and instructors alike benefit from higher evaluations, EK does too because more students will be likely to recommend the course/site to other students, so EK doesn't come out behind at the expense of instructors. It's an incentive to benefit everyone involved, and there's no conspiracy to keep mediocre teachers in place for the sake of the bottom line. Not only is that unethical, but it also makes little fiscal sense. Man, it's good to know my economics degree came in handy for something.

As for your not being convinced that EK is not selling snake oil...it's good that I'm the EK instructor and not you. It's good that you give me the benefit of the doubt, but I'm also intelligent enough to know whether what I'm selling to students all these years has been helpful to them, or something in which I could believe. I'm not sure what it would take to convince you. You seem wholly unfamiliar with our materials, though well-read when it comes to their publication dates and our policies. If you are indeed a student (you sound more like a consultant, but while all the criticism is good in that it helps us to look inward and consider tinkering with our approach, I'm not sure how it helps you with clarity. If you're so convinced we're shady, why bother with us at all? Why not avoid us? Do you think all the people who rave about EK materials and courses are lying or are paid by us? Are you hoping to improve EK and acting as an unpaid consultant? Or an unpaid promoter of other companies?), go to a Barnes and Nobel, pick a topic in which you're weak, and look it up in our books and in our competitors' books (or borrow books from people who've taken these courses). Don't just count the number of problems offered, but also do those problems and read through the explanations and see if you understand the concepts and feel more confident after using our methods or theirs. If it's theirs, by all means, use their materials and take their courses, and save yourself all the frustrations you have with our policies and publications. As we discuss in our Zen Day lecture, it's in your best interest to stay positive and distraction-free as you approach MCAT studying, to not associate it with so much frustration. And as for the choice you'll make for MCAT prep, to each his own.

As always, best of luck!

Last edited:
Here we are again.

Whoops, I meant to say that the comprehensive books are revised every few years, not revamped.

There's been no drastic change in the books in years. We have noticed, though, that Kaplans books look a lot more like ours now than they used to. You don't (or shouldn't) have the memory of the competition between our companies to see how the other companies have and haven't changed over this time, how they continue to market some things that we have no desire to offer, and have started to offer others that we have always offered. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so we're tickled pink about the slight convergence of our paths, but we're pretty happy about the things of theirs we've chosen not to emulate. Oh, sure, we'd love to steal a good deal of their market share, but 1) that's mostly implausible considering we only teach LSAT and MCAT and aren't household names outside of those two arenas, and 2) we're not going to do things that hold students back in order that we should get more customers. This is not something I expect students to understand. But while guarantees and course repeat offers, or telling students to underline and summarize words and paragraphs in VR might give them confidence in us or that they're doing something special and different, it won't help their scores, so we don't do them. Telling our students to focus on the main idea of the passage, to understand and analyze the argument of the author - this is decidedly unsexy and not very marketable. But it works.

In order to prepare for the MCAT (the admissions test for medical school), I purchased a set of books from a company called Examkrackers. There are 5 books in the set, one each on biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and verbal reasoning. I also purchased books containing 1000 questions in each of these topics, which are also published by Examkrackers. In the introductory section of every one of these books is the following statement:

Although we are very careful to be accurate, errata is an occupational hazard of any science book, especially those that are updated regularly as this one is. We maintain that our books have fewer errata than any other prep book. Most of the time what students are certain are errata is the student's error and not an error in the book. So that you can be certain, any errata in this book will be listed as it is discovered at http://www.examkrackers.com/ on the bulletin board. Again, we stress that we have fewer errata than any other prep book on the market. The difference is that we provide a public list of our errata for your benefit

A while back I was working through some of the 1001 problems in physics, when I came across an optics problem that I couldn't seem to solve. After several hours of work and some internet research, I became convinced that the answer in the book was wrong. I decided to swing over to the website to confirm my suspicions. But when I clicked on the "errata" forum, it told me I needed to register. I thought this was strange, since I'm already a registered member of the website. So I called their support line to find out what the problem was. The conversation went something like this:

EK: Examkrackers support, how may I help you?

me: Hi, I'm trying to access the errata on your website and it's telling me I need to register, but I'm already registered.

EK: That's because you need a premier membership to view the errata. Premier memberships can be purchased over the phone or on the website.

me: I need to purchase a membership to see the errata?

EK: Yes, sir.

me: I need to purchase a membership so I can see the errors in the books you sold me?

me: I need to pay you more money so that I can see a list of the errors in the books that I've already spent over $200 dollars on?

me: How many times do I have to say this before you realize how absurd it is?

EK: Sir?

me: You should really make all of the answers in the book wrong. Then you could charge a lot more for the premier membership.

This was followed by about 10 minutes of me speaking to a supervisor of Examkrackers management. But in the end, it was to no avail. The membership costs about $10

Anyhow, I bring this up because I'd like to know - for a company who boasts that their products are superior than any other prep company, how do you justify something like this? From what I know, EK is the ONLY company to charge their customers money (in addition to the $$ spend on their products) to purchase errors YOU GUYS made. This frustrates me to no end. If you ask me, I'm totally disgusted with you guys. You guys are more concerned with revenue than the satisfaction of your own customers. I totally feel for the guy who enrolled in the EK course only to be unsatisfied. Do you guys even offer a satisfaction guarantee? In my personal opinion, EK represents what a company should NOT be.

...Anyhow, I bring this up because I'd like to know - for a company who boasts that their products are superior than any other prep company, how do you justify something like this? From what I know, EK is the ONLY company to charge their customers money (in addition to the $$ spend on their products) to purchase errors YOU GUYS made. This frustrates me to no end. If you ask me, I'm totally disgusted with you guys. You guys are more concerned with revenue than the satisfaction of your own customers. I totally feel for the guy who enrolled in the EK course only to be unsatisfied. Do you guys even offer a satisfaction guarantee? In my personal opinion, EK represents what a company should NOT be.

Though I wonder about the level of vitriol and the sweeping generalizations in comments such as these, I think you make an excellent point, ilovemcat. I've wondered the same thing, though I've never really looked into it because I never bothered to find errata. I would only hear students mention it to each other and think, "That can't be right. Why would we charge for that part of the forum?" Since I don't know and don't like the practice (insofar as I don't know of or see a reason for its use), I've asked my supervisors for clarity on this and I'll pass on the message or have one of them address your question directly.

Of the kinds of criticisms I've seen on these boards, this is probably the most valid. That said, I still wonder about the harshness of the criticism, the extrapolation of EK business practices based on a supposition (frustration and annoyance would be an understandable reaction. But I wonder if these same students would question the business practices of UPENN when it sends them a secondary with no question and only a request for a fee to the tune of $100+, as opposed to $10 here), and the indictment of the company as a whole.

I mean, let's have some perspective here. In the grand scheme of things - meaning how much money is spent on test prep and actual tests from college through the end of medicine - $10 isn't even a drop in the bucket. It's a nominal fee. Considering the excellence of our books, the fact that they're pretty cheap, and that you can get them even more cheaply second-hand, it's like paying a little more to make sure that you don't miss anything, and is necessary only for the type-A students out there and provided by EK for the sake of transparency and accountability.

But a more relevant issue, and the reason why I never had this frustration, is that there aren't many errors. Have you looked through our books and found dozens of things that just don't make sense and must be erroneous? Any errors I've found have been obvious typos, like when a part of a drawing or an entire fraction in a problem are missing. It's not as if thousands of students are learning science incorrectly because of errata. Since you're a registered member of the forums, you can go to the 1001 Physics section and look up what other people have already discussed on that problem or post a question on it. Or you can contact me and I'd be happy to help you with it.

I will do my best to see if we can make errata freely available to everyone, but in the meantime, any student who wants to learn the science well should focus on using our books to increase his/her understanding and not focus on when the books were published or how often they're changed or trying to find out exactly how many errors there are and what they might be. EK publishes errata as a courtesy, not as an obligation, and while we all might find it discourteous that there is a charge for that information, it's nothing to get up at arms about. Our books stack up against any prep books or text books out there for technical merit and efficacy.

Also, while the language you use might be beneficial for venting purposes, or for bringing down our company, I don't think they're conducive to some sort of constructive discourse. That is, I and that employee on the telephone and any other EK employee who can make any sort of change in our practices would respond better to a logical argument than to an accusation that our practices are absurd or shady. Your arguments are emphatic and your tone derisive, but really...EK cares more about revenue than satisfaction of its customers? We pay our instructors based on ongoing feedback from students during the course. We have experts on our forum who answer questions posed by students about our materials. We have a class devoted specifically to addressing the mindset of our students. I personally created and help moderate a forum in which instructors support each other to always improve the level of quality of our instruction nationwide and we have instructors everywhere who come in early and stay late to help students understand the science better and to just support them during this stressful time. We have a former admissions committee member advising students about the application process through our forums. And your complaint is that we charge $10 more to know the errors in our books? How many other test prep or text book companies publish their errors at all? Do you think if they don't publish their errors that there aren't any? Do you think a few typos undermine all of the quality of the actual teaching material in the books? You said that EK is the only company that charges money on top of the money already spent on books - should I infer that you expected those books to be given to you without charge? Does $10 extra make a significant difference between the cost of our books and anyone else's?

As for satisfaction guarantees...I've addressed this already. I wonder what people think such a guarantee means, how it can be confirmed. Do our doctors come with satisfaction guarantees? Though our recovery under their care is much more dependent on them than it is on us, (while it's the other way around when it comes to test prep, where the student still has the onus of going home and learning everything that was taught) do we pay them only if we're satisfied? As a teacher, I wish students came with such a satisfaction guarantee. It's such a joy to teach students who take responsibility for their results, who are proactive, who come into lectures wanting to impress me with how much they know, to beat me to the punch with every brain-picking thought and trick question I have up my sleeve, and who don't expect everything to be handed to them - with a satisfaction guarantee on top of it. To excel, you will have to work hard. EK has already done that hard work in making the materials, as have/do I in instruction. You'll have to work hard no matter where you go, and money back for dissatisfaction will not get you into med school. We just want you to use our materials and classes because your hard work will go farther.

Anyway, that's just some food for thought. I have a feeling that you have already decided that we're the devil. But if that's the case, and you're indeed a student in need of MCAT prep and you can't get past your disgust for us, then best of luck to you wherever you go to prepare. And if you are eager to work with us, were it not for the lack of satisfaction (I'm imagining you smacking EK with a glove, challenging it to a duel), then hopefully I'll have good news for you on the $10 fee front.

Last edited:
We forgot to mention earlier that, as in past years, we will be holding a raffle at the end of this week. We will be choosing randomly from all the commenters who have contributed meaningfully to the respective threads and giving away the following two prizes:

One free 9 week comprehensive course this summer
One free complete set of EK books

Here's the fine print:
The course must be in any of the locations schedules for the summer 2011, it is not transferable to anyone else and it can be deferred to another semester. Taxes, shipping will be covered.
For the winner of the study pack, it will be shipped free of charge anywhere in the US.
Neither raffle prize can be exchanged for money or anything else.

All you have to do to be eligible is to follow the guidelines given by SDN here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=790797 and to have posted in the respective threads (EK employees, of course, are not eligible). After this week wraps up, I will pick the winners randomly and post their names on the threads, as well as contact them via private message with the email address and confirmation code they should use to redeem their prize. Go to the above link to make sure you are eligible and be sure to check in to see if you've won, as I'll be following the reprizing guidelines there in case I don't hear back from the winner.

I want to emphasize again that anyone interested should visit that SDN page, because some of the most prolific commenters on these threads are still not eligible according to those guidelines. It's not too late to change that!

As always, students in Examkrackers courses get a 30% discount on all other EK materials (applicable only once per title).

Best of luck to all of you!

UPDATE
SDN handles the raffle and has/will notify the winners independently. We are not involved in that process and don't determine or contact the winners. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
...Anyhow, I bring this up because I'd like to know - for a company who boasts that their products are superior than any other prep company, how do you justify something like this? From what I know, EK is the ONLY company to charge their customers money (in addition to the $$ spend on their products) to purchase errors YOU GUYS made. This frustrates me to no end. If you ask me, I'm totally disgusted with you guys. You guys are more concerned with revenue than the satisfaction of your own customers. I totally feel for the guy who enrolled in the EK course only to be unsatisfied. Do you guys even offer a satisfaction guarantee? In my personal opinion, EK represents what a company should NOT be.

Success! ilovemcat, if you will look on the Examkrackers website, you will now find that the errata section is free and open for all users. It was a paid membership for the last few years to combat losses because people were downloading illegal electronic copies of our books, which is why a proof of purchase was required for even a temporarily free registration. Now the errata section is open to everyone and all other parts of the forum except those reserved for instructors are open to those who have purchased memberships.

Rejoice! And thank you and congratulations for being the catalyst for this change!

BP, while I'm enjoying the back and forth, I think you're missing a point that is becoming more and more clear as other people post their frustrations and bad experiences all over SDN. First, to answer your question, I do have experience in consumer advocacy, and the earlier comments from EKTestPrep set off so many BS-O-Meter alarms I felt it needed investigation and addressing. Consider this work pro bono.

I would make the following observations and recommendations.
1) Companies that truly offer a superior product can afford lenient return policies.
Though it may seem counterintuitive, it actually improves the bottom line in several ways. To some degree you're correct, it is a gimmick, but not in the way you have described. Superior service or products is in short enough supply that customers will more often than not (much more often, in fact) treat such promises respectfully and honestly. When people feel they've been treated fairly, they don't try to "scam the system" and ask for an unjust refund. One such company I've with worked has offered a 100% unconditional money back guarantee (for online fresh sea food sales, which is inherently risky) for 18 years. Only 2 people in that time have ever taken them up on it. They offer the guarantee precisely because they know they won't have to honor it. They really are that good (just as you claim to be). Even in less extreme cases, businesses continually find that the apparent confidence in offering such a guarantee brings in more money than it loses. Of course, with an econ degree you should already be aware of this.

So this is a reason for concern because it shows that EK lacks confidence in their products and/or takes a very cynical view of its customers.

2) Why is there such a visible tension between EK and students?
Several times you have alluded to students being litigious, or that "people will take advantage," etc. Conversely, many scorned students are taking away valuable time from studying for the MCAT to burn EK online. This is not a healthy relationship and you should ask yourself why these people are so angry. What expectations were set but not met? In these cases, why was it not resolved amicably?

Using your econ degree, which is better for Examkrackers:

(A) Apologetically refund money to one unhappy student (net loss on materials around $100).
(B) Rudely refuse a refund while citing a "no returns" policy and have that student air their dirty laundry in front of hundreds of people on SDN and any other forum/review site they can find (net loss potential in the $1000's).

or, the poster above's point

(A) Openly admit mistakes in your books (net loss $10/lost membership)
(B) Hide the "errata" in a forum requiring a paid membership, again causing students to go online and spew "vitriol" about EK practices, books and presumably courses (net loss potential in the $1000's/lost enrollments and sales).

Students that are unhappy with EK are REALLY UNHAPPY, and no, I have not seen these kinds of responses to other companies. This is troubling. It tells me that EK makes claims that students do not feel are met, and that EK does not adequately address these issues when they arise. To have such a vocal group of detractors is an indication that the responses and practices held in place by EK are actually detrimental to students and the company alike.

What I've realized during all this is that I will likely be best self-studying for my MCAT, and also that like the scorned students mentioned above, I've been spending too much valuable time discussing this matter. To that end, I may decide to buy a set of the EK books, but of course it will be through Amazon.com, where they 60% cheaper, include free shipping, and have an actual return/refund policy.

Thanks for the discourse,
Hack.

(PS See if you can find a place to add an R to Fiction that makes it physics appropriate. Yes, it's just a typo, but c'mon, "EK is the best" right?)

Last edited:
You mention that you offer testing in every class lecture. Does that include time to take and review all of the 16 mini mcats, or will students have to do that on their own?

How long is the winner of this course raffle allowed to delay taking the course? Or is it something they have to start as soon as possible.

Are there future plans to expand the number of locations where EK offers prep courses? If so to where -- and when?

@hackintosh,

I'm not convinced that you're actually a student, as opposed to a plant from one of our competitors (I've been in the test prep business for years and this sort of behavior/practice is far from the worst that I've seen exhibited, so it's not a surprise, but still a disappointment. Also, my saying that "I'm not convinced" is the sort of understatement and soft wording we teach our students to expect from correct answers on the VR section. I'm much more doubtless than I appear). What kind of student are you that you are so concerned and upset about EK practices and about what you will do on the MCAT, but you join SD.net, an amazingly helpful resource/network on the day the test prep week opens and you post ONLY on EK threads, and that in an extremely negative and contentious and condescending manner? If you're going to fake being a student, be more realistic. Don't insult my intelligence.

That said, I've honestly enjoyed our discourse, because it does give me opportunities to examine our practices. As a veteran instructor, I exert a bit of influence, but I'm still on the instruction end of things, and not in management, so I can't speak to why we have all the practices we do. A lot of it comes down to the bottom line, and we are nowhere as big as the people who pay you to troll on these here internets. I agree that it would be a great gesture and a showing of good faith to have such a guarantee, but I don't agree that it's necessary for proof of our quality. Nor do I see that there is a lot of tension between students and EK. We're a small company and just a few people are running everything nationwide. Those same people are responsible for remedying every situation involving every disappointed student, even when we're sure it's the sort of situation I've described above. A few students of this kind can eat up a lot of resources in such a small company, and can wear out our instructors. That's all I was saying. If you think a large majority of students are disappointed with EK or that such disappointment is unique to EK, you are mistaken.

As for the issue with the errata part of the forum, that's been resolved. Please see above.

It doesn't bother me in the least that you would get our books from Amazon.com instead of examkrackers.com. That's just fine with all of us. We are not able, as the publishers of the books, to offer them at a lower price than places like Amazon. But we welcome you to shop there and don't try to hide that option from you.

I get now what you mean about fiction and friction. Very clever. Be thankful, grammar Nazi as I am, that I let go of the ample opportunities you've given me to pay such attention to your sloppy details. As with the emphasis on errata, you'd be better off if you focused on substance rather than relishing in typos.

You mention that you offer testing in every class lecture. Does that include time to take and review all of the 16 mini mcats, or will students have to do that on their own?
What we cover in class is the "In-class exam." There are problems in the lectures to which I refer as "homework" problems, which I and other instructors will use in classes when beneficial to the lecture, but not necessarily. The same is true of the 16 mini-mcats. Those and the homework problems are for the students' benefit to be done on their own time should they desire to do so. They are free to do them and ask for further explanation from our instructors on our forums if they have the need, but review of those problems is not incorporated into our lectures. Only the in-class exams are. This way, we have an hour of practice/review for every hour of lecture.

BP,

A final note to you regarding who I am. No, honestly, I am not a payed troll from any other company, and I truly am a (non-trad) student enrolled to take the MCAT and planning to apply to medical school. Yes, I have been "only trolling EK," but the reason is far less sinister than you think.

When considering structured test prep, a friend suggested SDN. I have never bothered to register because I actually find most of the posts here incredibly unhelpful, and am turned off by the over-anxious students constantly looking for reassurance or easy answers online. The MCAT forum mostly consists of "what do you think about my study plan" posts that are not helpful to me, let alone the actual author. A trending story the day I joined caught my eye and pointed me to look for inaccuracies posted by EK. In luck, as it were, EKTestPrep's BS, jargon-filled, obnoxiously bolded answers fit the bill. My "sardonic wit" (now apparently "extremely negative and contentious and condescending manner") brought about our discourse and thus my time (and all my posts) has been spent here.
Sorry to burst you bubble, but in at least this instance, your EK-understated-thus-correct answer is, well actually, neither understated nor correct. Goodness, you are more cynical than I thought.
So I'm also sorry to say that your last post ended the begrudging respect I had developed. I like to dissect things, it's always been my nature--I want to be a doctor for crying out loud. Given the grandiose claims and conflicting information, EK provided ample opportunity to do something that I love to do. Your silly misconceptions make me sad that I wasted my time even trying to engage with you.

-Hack.

PS When I publish my first set of books, remind me to send them to you for review. I can live with ample typos in a forum post (and chalk up some to iPhone autocorrect), but I would cringe to think they'd make it through 7 editions of professional publication. Your help will be most welcome!

Last edited:
Hack,
I was being sarcastic when I said you had sardonic wit. I actually do like the challenge you put forth, but why you would engage so contentiously and consistently with with people on these threads, why you would join just to blast our company, and why you would think you're taking the high road and doing us a favor at the same time, I can't understand.

I agree about the forums on here and the students' questions, but there are many other great and useful tools provided by SDN.

A sincere and real student, I would think, could come to some compromise if he were actually trying to help, actually looking for answers and improvement. But no matter how much I tried to explain and even after I helped make the errata section available to everyone, you remain undeterred in your quest. Your end of the dialogue has been far from civil and your outrage seems disproportionate from the start. As an employee, I have to be patient with people like you. If I met someone who behaved as you do in person, I would not be so patient and accommodating. After all, I still can't understand why if you're really so upset and if EK can really do nothing at all to make up for any of our slights, then why bother with us at all?

Oh yeah, I understood your annoyance with my supervisor's post with all the bold terms and jargon and business-speak. She too believes greatly in our materials, but she is in management and is behind all the things that we do to keep or make our students happy, so she conceded those points to me thereafter, since I can speak more specifically about why the materials are good and where they could be improved and such. She's not trying to fool anyone with vagaries. That's kinda all she offer and the rest is up to students to discover on their own.

On that note, though, I'm confused over and over as to whether you hate or like our materials. You imply that since she comes off as BSing about our materials, that they're BS. Or if we charge $10 for the errata section, then our books are full of errata. Or if they're published more than a year ago, then they suck and are completely outdated. Our books are still awesome. You should check them out. You don't seem to respond to the points that I've made on this issue and just keep on attacking, which is why I feel you can't possibly be a real student, unless you're one of those few who come around now and then who are so high-strung that they focus all their energies on blaming everyone and everything for holding them back rather than on just trying to get ahead. After all, you seem more interested in bringing down our company than getting ahead. So you came across some posts about inaccuracies, found the errata section closed, and found a post with jargon and business speak - and what, that prompted you to focus all this time and energy on EK and getting everyone on here to not buy anything of ours? Why? Why can't you just let it go? Why, if those were your reasons, does the opening of our errata section have no effect on you? What kind of student and aspiring doctor does this instead of just moving on to some other test prep company that will help him? You love to dissect and you thought us a good target because of grandiose claims and conflicting info? Seriously? Our claims are that grandiose (I'd think guaranteed satisfaction is grandiose) and your head was really that spun around by our info?

That all of this behavior is contrary to what a self-serving student would do does not seem silly or a misconception on my part, and your attacking my company and seeing how much I would put up with does not seem like engaging to me. But even if you lost your begrudging respect (why so begrudging? Am I evil by association?), I'm glad you had it at one point. It's not easy dealing with someone like you and I'm rather proud of myself for lasting this long, for humoring you. I think the most appropriate response (though not from an EK employee) was given by the person who pointed out that if you don't like the course, don't take it. Another good reminder to everyone in response to your bile would have been "Don't feed the trolls."

My point about typos was that they're just that - typos. If you want to crack jokes about funny misspellings in our books, fine, though they belong more in a Jay Leno segment than on here. But you knew that it was supposed to be Friction, not Fiction. Why can't you just move on? Someone who wants to do well on the MCAT doesn't spend more than a split second on that before moving on and learning the science necessary to excel on the test, rather than focusing on that and losing all faith in the book and trying to dissuade others from using it. Did typos like that throw you off and make you learn entirely wrong information about all the science? If not, let it go.

And if you're writing all of this on an iPhone, I am impressed, and I feel for you, because iPhone spelling corrections are often the worst. Still, my point is simple - I let your typos go because I got your point. Why won't you do the same?

Hello folks,

Just wanted to apologize for my previous post. I was having a bad day so I sorta took it out on here. There's a lot of great qualities about the EK books that have been extremely helpful in preparing me for the MCAT. That's definitely something I should have mentioned in my previous post. I do feel really bad for being so critical of EK, especially since the guy above me was giving an earful. And while the $10 came as a shock, I can sorta understand why you guys decided to charge that. Regardless, I'm glad you guys took the initiative to change that and actually acknowledged my criticism and instead turned it around into something positive. Thank you for that. I'm sure many other future MCAT test takers would be extremely grateful for that as well.

Anyhow, I should probably stick to the topic at hand, so I'll instead finish this off with a question: Has EK ever considered providing an Online-On Demand prep course in the future? I noticed on the website only classroom courses are offered. I think it's something worth considering. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
@ilovemcat,

The bottom line is that it is something we've discussed and considered, but not something we currently offer. We would encourage students to attend live lectures over on-line courses, but we understand that not everyone finds it convenient or possible to make it to a live course. Anyway, as for an official answer as of now, here's what I got as a response when I inquired into this...
we are always considering more ways to make our course offerings and instruction readily available to everyone. On-line courses may be something we will look into, but for now..we stress the importance and benefits of LIVE classes over the on-line experience. Having an in class experience is much more advantageous…a live expert to discuss your areas of concern, the in-class interaction and the instructors engaging you in the material….in class discussion from other students that you can learn from, the official test is a live administration ( not one done in the comfort of your home)..the occupation of a physician is a LIVE one…we don't do surgeries on line…overall, it is a much better fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.