Examples for WS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mkitties

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always thought that we needed to provide specific examples for the writing sample. But then I was looking through a few sample essays from Kaplan and they just described a hypothetical situation instead. So im confused...For example:
Wealthy politicians cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

Do we need to give the name of a wealthy politician and a specific example about him?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Mkitties said:
I always thought that we needed to provide specific examples for the writing sample. But then I was looking through a few sample essays from Kaplan and they just described a hypothetical situation instead. So im confused...For example:
Wealthy politicians cannot offer fair representation to all the people.

Do we need to give the name of a wealthy politician and a specific example about him?

Thanks in advance.

I would! Practically speaking, the majority of politicians are wealthy.

To get some examples you can just google search "wealthy politicians."

But if you cannot give specific examples you can give personal experiences.

I hate that prompt (and others like it).

I hate all prompts. It's nice that they want to test our critical reasoning skills, but many of these prompts are so abstract that I really feel like I need more time to think about them before writing a good essay. Stupid prompts.

You don't need specific examples, hypotheticals are fine, especially if you donm't have all your facts straight. Even if you know someone, you might not know the true story, and that would wind up then working against you, so when in doubt, i'd stick to hypotheticals. Unless it's something you're really sure of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had that prompt on a practice and I used 2 examples. First, I talked about when Bush was our governor and how he gave tax cuts to the rich and ignored the TX poor. Then I wrote about how JFK helped out the poor and promoted civil rights legislation. It's my understanding that if you can find a specific example, use it. But if not a hypothetical is OK. I think that same test had a prompt on education and I had to use hypotheticals on that one.

chaeymaey said:
I had that prompt on a practice and I used 2 examples. First, I talked about when Bush was our governor and how he gave tax cuts to the rich and ignored the TX poor. Then I wrote about how JFK helped out the poor and promoted civil rights legislation. It's my understanding that if you can find a specific example, use it. But if not a hypothetical is OK. I think that same test had a prompt on education and I had to use hypotheticals on that one.

Literary examples will help push you into the ST realms..... :sleep: is my opinion