exams and boards, aussie style

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

bgeez

hi, may be some of you guys know about this. whats a barrier assessment? during my interview, i had asked about the board exams one need to pass to practice in Oz. I was told there is no such board exams. but there has to be some sort of exams. my guess is that the barrier assessment was one. but i could be wrong. anybody care to enlighten me about the exams and when they need to be taken coz i absolutely have no idea. and i dont really want to come there completely clueless.
thanks a lot
B.

Members don't see this ad.

anybody know about UQ?

That where i have signed up, and other than knowing that this years 2nd years had an appanrently 'horrendous' (their words not mine) fail rate :eek: :( i have no idea what the exam/assessment (formative or summative) is......:(

After graduating medical school in Australia you do an internship year after which you are technically registered as a doctor. I assume you'll be able to work as a GP but (please correct me if I'm wrong I haven't really checked the ins and outs of it) I think your prospects may be limited without additional training either the General Practice Training program which is 3 years & you get your FRACGP after passing the RACGP exam. If you want to specialize say become a cardiologist you have to do physician's training instead which is 6 years (or more) you take the physician's exam and get your FRACP

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember years 1 and 2 at UQ are pass/fail exams, with the percentage for a pass set by the school.

David

Originally posted by bgeez
hi, may be some of you guys know about this. whats a barrier assessment? during my interview, i had asked about the board exams one need to pass to practice in Oz. I was told there is no such board exams. but there has to be some sort of exams. my guess is that the barrier assessment was one. but i could be wrong. anybody care to enlighten me about the exams and when they need to be taken coz i absolutely have no idea. and i dont really want to come there completely clueless.
thanks a lot
B.

Actually there are exams that you will have to write while you're in a training program. For example in the GP program there are FRACGP exams. To get into a training program the good thing is you don't have to write a standardised test like the USMLE. Rather politics, interviews and mentor assessment sheets from your internships are used to make the decision. I believe for surgery though you can take part 1 of the surgical exam to help out your application. As an international though you are in a different boat than locals. Again your main concern should be getting a PR...