Excellent Medical Education Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincessCKNY

Crown Royal Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I go to this group called Applicant Support Group at UCI. It's kinda like SDN, but w/ real live people. Anyways, it's run by a guy on UCI's adcom. Last week, he suggested we read this article on medical education, and I figured I would pass it on to you guys. Sorry, but I'm not savvy enough to know how to make it into a link. Also, it's 80 pages. Enjoy!

"Training Tomorrow's Doctors: The Medical Education Mission of Academic Health Centers. The Commonwealth Fund Task Force on Academic Health Centers, April 2002. (#516)"

http://www.cmwf.org/publist/publist2.asp?CategoryID=1

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind...it turned into a link by itself! (Sorry, but I am easily amused...lol)

Cool. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
No problemo. Feel free to let me know if you found this type of stuff helpful or a waste of space, so I know what to keep my eyes open for.

if you are looking for an excellent and very thorough read on the history/present/future of medical education, check out Time to Heal by Kenneth Ludmerer. I remember liking the book SO much and being so happy to find something that answered lots of questions I had about medical education in the states that I e-mailed the dude. He actually wrote me back the same day, too!
Let me find it..

Here's what I wrote:
Greetings. During my interview at Georgetown U. School of Medicine this
past November, a member of the admissions staff, Mrs. Donna Sullivan handed
out a copy of a title page to a book to each student in the room, requesting we
read it as homework. The book was "Time to Heal." When I returned home and
found the paper in my stack of literature to sift through, I checked my library's
holding to see that a copy of the book was available at a nearby campus
library. Within the first chapter, I realized that this was a book I had been
seeking for some time now...

and his reply:
Thank you for your kind remarks about Time to Heal. I'm glad you found the book useful.
My main suggestion for right now is to be true to your heart and your ideals. Despite the
problems in the health care delivery system, medicine offers more opportunity as a career than
at any time in history--and the problems of the delivery system can and will be solved.
Let me know if you should find yourself in St. Louis. It would be a pleasure to discuss these
matters with you in more detail.
Best wishes,
K. Ludmerer

I remember being pretty stoked when he wrote me back. Yea, of course he's just a normal guy, but I had never written an author- so it was cool :D

Wow, that is pretty cool. I'll look into it. Maybe I'll read that instead of the 80 page report on my trip to Cancun! :clap:

you're off to Cancun? sweet. pre-school vacation or are you out of school?

Originally posted by USeF
if you are looking for an excellent and very thorough read on the history/present/future of medical education, check out Time to Heal by Kenneth Ludmerer. I remember liking the book SO much and being so happy to find something that answered lots of questions I had about medical education in the states that I e-mailed the dude. He actually wrote me back the same day, too!
Let me find it..

I will take your word for it. I am getting this book on Tuesday at a local library

RNA Ladder 2003 and USeF,
Guess who's on the inside back cover of WashU's admissions booklet? Kenneth Ludmerer. There's a whole bio of him and his contributions to medicine. He's apparently a giant in the field.

Originally posted by USeF
you're off to Cancun? sweet. pre-school vacation or are you out of school?

Hi there. Yup. Just got back w/ a killer tan. The trip was a graduation gift. It was perfect timing, since I have been so wound up doing secondaries. I highly suggest taking some time to step away from those things...it totally helped get my creative juices going again.