Excellent Undergrad&Grad Schools for Psychology?

Started by Xinoria
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Xinoria

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
like lots of people these days, I'm pursuing a career in psychology, hopefully clinical psychology. i'm a junior in high school right now and i'm looking at the various colleges that offer excellent or above decent psychology programs in both the Undergrad and Graduate levels (I'm planning to get a PsyD at the moment). Location is not a problem, but it should be limited to the U.S. Thanks in advance 😀
 
The most important thing during UG is to get as much research experience as early as possible, even for a PsyD. Also, smaller classes may be a benefit ion terms of getting to know your professors, but you can still manage that in larger classes by going to office hours and the like. Good luck! I'm a college junior looking to apply to clinical and counseling PhD and PsyD programs next year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The most important thing during UG is to get as much research experience as early as possible, even for a PsyD. Also, smaller classes may be a benefit ion terms of getting to know your professors, but you can still manage that in larger classes by going to office hours and the like. Good luck! I'm a college junior looking to apply to clinical and counseling PhD and PsyD programs next year.

Oh I see. How many hours of clincal practice are you required to take next year?

Harvard is kind of a reach for me anyway. I heard good reviews for University of Michigan(Ann Arbor), University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), Stanford (a reach), & UCLA. Any suggestions? For both UG & Grad.
 
The schools you listed will all be excellent choices. Any school with lots of funding and clout will have tons of research going on. That'll include most big state schools and the upper-echelon private ones.
 
The schools you listed will all be excellent choices. Any school with lots of funding and clout will have tons of research going on. That'll include most big state schools and the upper-echelon private ones.

Alrighty. Thanks so much for your input. 😀
 
Here's a link of the Princeton Review's rankings of psychology undergrad departments. It's what led me to apply to the University of Minnesota (though I ended up choosing Georgia Tech for entirely different reasons).
 
Hi,

As an UG psych major, we actually aren't required to have any practicum work, though most people do have some. I'll have a 450 hour practicum through my social work major and additional hours from the clinical work I'm doing this year and next year. Some clinical experience is good, but what matters most (in concert with grades, GPA, rec, and just plan *luck*) is research experience, presentations, and publications (get involved in research ASAP).

As for good schools, most schools have decent UG psych departments. For graduate schools, it depends on what your research match will be (what you want to research in grad school) and where professors who research that same topic work.