Excessive shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

entireparsley

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Basically, I have 150 hours shadowing various ‘medical’ surgical specialties (general, trauma, orthopedics). At some point I switched over to pre-dental, and now have ~100 hours shadowing hospital OMFS and ~20 hours shadowing GP. I understand that with the exception of the GP hours, this is a LOT of hours. However it is not without reason. I did genuinely enjoy shadowing the ‘medical’ surgical specialties as well as OMFS and consciously chose to take on those hours because I truly liked it.
My question is, how will this look to ADCOMS? Do they stop caring after a certain number of hours? Or will it look good because I pursued something I liked? Or will it look bad because my time was better spent elsewhere?

thank you for any responses, it is greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I would not classify 120 hours as a lot of hours.

If anything you need to increase your GP shadowing hours. I wouldn’t include your premed shadowing

Reactions: 3 users
I would not classify 120 hours as a lot of hours.

If anything you need to increase your GP shadowing hours. I wouldn’t include your premed shadowing
Yeah OP that’s not excessive hours; I had more than your med+dentistry hours just in dentistry alone, and that’s not uncommon. The first thing my open-file Penn interviewer brought up was how impressed they were with my shadowing and EC dedication/hours. Usually imo I think you should include your med hours, as I did, because it paints your story of how you turned to dentistry and how you liked it so much you switched from med. However, you have all surgical hours and then went on to shadow a lot of omfs and next to no gp. The story this paints? You love surgery and you’re only going into dentistry for omfs and threw some gp dentistry in there to check the box. No bueno in the eyes of adcoms

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

A lot of schools want 100+ and if you can get more GP that would be ideal

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of schools probably won't consider your specialty hours as shadowing. They are training you to be a dentist, not an oral surgeon. And surely don't mention the medical hours spent shadowing. As I see it right now (and as most schools would too) you have 20 hours shadowing. You will need more than that.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't include the medical shadowing hours. Also, schools prefer GP hours than any other dental specialties. I believe OP needs to boost a lot of the GP shadowing hours

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the replies. I will surely try to get more GP hours, as I still have almost year left until applying. I think I will definitely include my premed shadowing because it played a huge role in my decision to pursue dentistry and leaving it out would be like skipping to the last chapter of a book without reading any of the rest of it.