Exchange Clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DB21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've recently been accepted to a leukaemia and bone marrow program for a clerkship. Because i went to med school outside of north america i just want to get some insight as to how things go about for these clerkships. In terms of history taking I've been taught to go about it as follows - name, age, sex, chief complaint, history of presenting illness, past history, family history, person history. For examination - General physical examination including vitals, PICCLE, followed by a systemic examination (for hematonco cases we usually emphasize the abdominal system). Is there anything that I'm missing? Also should i be prepared to decide upon which labs to send? For me at this school for sending labs we have different requisition forms with lists of investigations and we just check off whats needed and hand it to a ward nurse who takes care of it.. what can i expect in terms of labs - sending and receiving results? And lastly is it my job to write up discharge summaries? If so what is the format usually followed. I know these questions may seem a bit trivial but i just don't want to make a negative impression over the smallest things and i kind of feel like I'm a little in the dark right now.. so please help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.