Excuse

Started by a0pitre
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

a0pitre

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can PTs write excuses to return to or refrain from activities, whether it be school, work activities, sports, etc? Does this vary by state/county?
 
it depends upon who is reading the excuse. Sometimes employers will honor our opinion/excuse, sometimes they won't. the school where I provide athletic coverage as an ATC honors my release to participate. However, if it is the doctor that has withheld a kid, it is often the doctor that needs to release them.
 
As PP said, it's up to the person/organization accepting the excuse. A similar conversation just came up with my high school sister who has jokingly asked me for an excuse out of gym class. I don't know their gym policy, but she said the school did make a policy that only MD/DO physicals would be accepted to start playing a school sport.

From a different perspective, I work as a school-based PT. I generally make those calls, with one exception. If a physician has written an order to refrain from activity, we require the physician's follow up order to release them. I respect that they're looking at test results and imaging that I haven't seen.