Thanks everybody! I was looking more into zoo-type exotics but household exotics was definitely on my list to check out as well (I owned birds for 6+ years, does this fall into that category?).
As far as I know, the animals at our our natural history museum animals vary up to bees/spiders, possibly snakes? So I was searching for something a little broader than insects/arachnids, etc.
🙄
Thanks for the reference to Houston, but I probably wouldn't be able to do much there (or Dallas) due to the sheer distance; it's like a 3-hour drive to Houston and a 5-hour one to Dallas. I heard about the ZEW club at A&M so I was definitely going to join that (if I end up going there, which is a 90% possibility), but I was looking for opportunities before I head out to College Station.
This was the one I looked at:
http://www.wildanimalorphanage.org/
As a college student at A&M, WhtsThFrequency, (I'm assuming you went there for undergrad? If you didn't, ignore this question), would you have the time to make drives to Houston/Dallas for those opportunities along with the courseload?
I'm definitely going to try shadowing at household exotic vets per y'all's suggestions, especially since I want experience outside of the dog/cat/horse realm. Thanks again!
😀