Expectations/How to Prep for a Radiology Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Half-way through M3 and pretty much zeroed in on a couple specialties; EM and Psych. That said, I'm still doing my research on other fields I haven't considered yet, which lead me to radiology. Though my research has been quite superficial, I do enjoy what I've been reading and seeing. I have an elective towards the end of 3rd year so I'm thinking of using it to further explore the field by doing a 4 week rotation.

We got a good bit of exposure to radiology during our first two years, however I never thought I was very good at discerning things on imaging unless it was painfully obvious. Is radiology the kind of field some people just aren't cut out for as it requires inherent ability, or is it something that can be learned from the ground up?

As far as a third year elective goes, what kind of expectations are there of a student in terms of making reads? What can I do to prepare? Any different opinion/advice if this were done during the beginning of 4th year?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, there are relatively low expectations, but you will get more out of it the more you read (and will stand out as an excellent student).

Essentials of Radiology is a great starter textbook for med students. It's what my school uses for our radiology rotation.

For IR, I highly recommend Interventional Radiology, A Survival Guide.

Good luck! And remember, radiology rotations tend to be pretty boring as a medical student. It's a lot more fun when you're the one reading the studies. Try finding an empty PACS station and read studies independently, then check how you did with the resident.

Reactions: 1 user
PM me if you want advice from a fellow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t be annoying. You won’t impress anyone on this elective. Just be pleasant and not a pain in the ass who asks 900 questions and blurts our incorrect findings

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t be annoying. You won’t impress anyone on this elective. Just be pleasant and not a pain in the ass who asks 900 questions and blurts our incorrect findings

Excellent. Something my current skill set will allow for.

Make sure you're proofreading my dictation so that you can point out any egregious typos that I'm about to sign off on.

I'm only half joking.

So essentially, radiology rotations are more about not being annoying and easy to get along with to get a required letter?

Is there any concrete knowledge or ability to recognize X, Y, Z conditions that is required prior to starting residency? Just trying to figure out if I have the abilities to even pursue this field.

So essentially, radiology rotations are more about not being annoying and easy to get along with to get a required letter?

You got it.

Is there any concrete knowledge or ability to recognize X, Y, Z conditions that is required prior to starting residency? Just trying to figure out if I have the abilities to even pursue this field.

It's exceedingly rare for a medical student not to possess the ability to be a radiologist. It happens, but it's uncommon - so uncommon that you shouldn't worry about this at all. Besides, there's nothing you could do right now to figure that out, even if you needed to (you don't). Assuming you're a competitive applicant, right now just concern yourself with if you want to practice radiology.