Expected hours for multiple gap years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jumperman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I applied one year ago and did not get in. I talked to two adcoms approximately 9 months after I applied (so just before the new cycle would begin) and they told me my clinical hours were too low (I had around 150). Of course I did not know before hand that this was a major issue, so I had not done much to increase that number during that time. I think I added 50 more clinical hours.

So, I thought it best to take another gap year. So at this point, before I apply again next year, I will have taken two full gap years plus one more during that application cycle.

I was just wondering do adcoms now expect me to have an astronomical amount of hours in all categories since I took two years off? I think I will have around 800 clinical hours before I apply again next cycle and probably like 300 nonclinical. My research is fine and I will have a couple hundred hours of working. Are these "enough" or are the raw numbers too low.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.