Expected looks for a black man

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are dreads and ear piercings professional enough for med school

• Total voters

NGMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so the other day I was with my friend who hopefully is going to be an engineer and he was getting dreadlocks and an ear piercing and I really liked the way he looks but I don't have the balls do style my hair like that or even to get an ear piercing because i think that these are not things I can have and still be a doctor. Is this true or is this all in my head?:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Members don't see this ad.

Neither are really that professional but I've seen more earings on men than dreadlocks (though the overall number is still low). Dreads would just be hard to pull off as professional, especially in the growth phase - eventually they look cool but medicine tends to be more conservative so keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Neither are really that professional but I've seen more earings on men than dreadlocks (though the overall number is still low). Dreads would just be hard to pull off as professional, especially in the growth phase - eventually they look cool but medicine tends to be more conservative so keep that in mind.
So do you think I could get an ear piercing and maybe take out the ear rings for like interviews. Do you think the tiny holes it my ears would bother the admissions committee at any university

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think I could get an ear piercing and maybe take out the ear rings for like interviews. Do you think the tiny holes it my ears would bother the admissions committee at any university

If you take the ear rings out, no one should notice. Now if you were talking about gauges, that might be another issue.

I would just focus on getting into medical school as well as residency and then you can do whatever you want after. You will be held to a different standard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why screw with the odds, play it safe

And the logical choice isssssssssss...

I've known a few people that have gotten into school with dreads. Dreads can actually have a professional look to them if you do something like this sans the dye:
locks_suit.jpeg

What generally won't fly though is longer dreads on a guy, just as most other longer hairstyles are basically discouraged on the interview trail. So feel free to dread, but dread wisely.

Reactions: 1 users
I've known a few people that have gotten into school with dreads. Dreads can actually have a professional look to them if you do something like this sans the dye:
locks_suit.jpeg

What generally won't fly though is longer dreads on a guy, just as most other longer hairstyles are basically discouraged on the interview trail. So feel free to dread, but dread wisely.

As usual MadJack brings up a good point. I would also say leave them your natural color.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app