Are dreads and ear piercings professional enough for med school

• Total voters

NGMD

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay so the other day I was with my friend who hopefully is going to be an engineer and he was getting dreadlocks and an ear piercing and I really liked the way he looks but I don't have the balls do style my hair like that or even to get an ear piercing because i think that these are not things I can have and still be a doctor. Is this true or is this all in my head?:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
Neither are really that professional but I've seen more earings on men than dreadlocks (though the overall number is still low). Dreads would just be hard to pull off as professional, especially in the growth phase - eventually they look cool but medicine tends to be more conservative so keep that in mind.

Reactions: NGMD
OP
N

NGMD

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Neither are really that professional but I've seen more earings on men than dreadlocks (though the overall number is still low). Dreads would just be hard to pull off as professional, especially in the growth phase - eventually they look cool but medicine tends to be more conservative so keep that in mind.
So do you think I could get an ear piercing and maybe take out the ear rings for like interviews. Do you think the tiny holes it my ears would bother the admissions committee at any university

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
So do you think I could get an ear piercing and maybe take out the ear rings for like interviews. Do you think the tiny holes it my ears would bother the admissions committee at any university
If you take the ear rings out, no one should notice. Now if you were talking about gauges, that might be another issue.

Reactions: NGMD

Makati2008

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I would just focus on getting into medical school as well as residency and then you can do whatever you want after. You will be held to a different standard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: chaelo

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I've known a few people that have gotten into school with dreads. Dreads can actually have a professional look to them if you do something like this sans the dye:

What generally won't fly though is longer dreads on a guy, just as most other longer hairstyles are basically discouraged on the interview trail. So feel free to dread, but dread wisely.

Reactions: chaelo and NGMD

Makati2008

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I've known a few people that have gotten into school with dreads. Dreads can actually have a professional look to them if you do something like this sans the dye:

What generally won't fly though is longer dreads on a guy, just as most other longer hairstyles are basically discouraged on the interview trail. So feel free to dread, but dread wisely.
As usual MadJack brings up a good point. I would also say leave them your natural color.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Dr. In Formation

Miss Educated
Removed
Nov 4, 2016
Valhalla
Last edited: