Expected PharmD 2015: Am I nontraditional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Gonzo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
<removed>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Dr. G,
I was in the same boat but went ahead and tried a few different pharmacy fields before I applied (just applied this cycle). As far as grades go and how to calculate, check this link out http://www.aacom.org/Documents/AACOMASInstructions.pdf check out pages 16-17 specifically. I would recalculate since you aren't sure which grades count! Having a pharmacy degree only helps and is more rigorous than ug but you need to be able to explain why the change without even working as a pharmacist. The mcat is good for 3 years, but with it changing is it possible schools may require the new mcat-perhaps; hard to see them making that change though. You definitely need to volunteer, with rotations and working in retail you have enough "clinical experience". As far as when to take the mcat that is your call, it is changing, seems like the length of the exam is going to double and more material will be on it.

Let us know what the new sgpa is, I think most schools have a cutoff of 3.0-3.2, so you are right on the border. best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
We like more mature students, for one.
I guess I would be considered non-traditional. How does having a doctorate and professional license factor into admission decisions?

Well, you're expected to do well. A 2.9-3.0 is not doing well, and would imply you have trouble in med school.
Would the rigor of the coursework be taken into account when looking at my GPA if explained to admissions?

Yes. At least get the GPA >3.0 to be more palatable to DO schools. For MD schools, you'll need to ace an SMP/post-bac and have a good >33 MCAT.
Is a post-bacc or masters program absolutely necessary to make me a viable candidate?

For MD schools, even a 45 won't. You're expected to have a great GPA and a great MCAT score. DO schools would be more forgiving, but you'll still need something in the high 20s.
What kind of MCAT score would I need to overshadow my GPA?

The standard stuff that pre-meds do. In your case, you'll also need to demonstrate that you wont' bail on Medicien like you did with Pharmacy.
If I were to complete a post-bacc/masters, what kind of ECs/experiences should I seek to beef up my CV?

Totally up to you. Just take it when you're fully ready. Scores tend to stay valid for 3-4 years.
Also, if I do chose to take the MCAT, should I do it ASAP before the 2015 version is introduced? How long are scores valid?

Goro obviously gives great answers and advice. I'm not sure how your GPA would be calculated. When I applied, it was easier because I did 4 yrs UG and 4 years Pharm so they could easily see the two different GPAs. You definitely need to shadow some physicians and get some volunteer experience. Also, research may help you be more competitive. With that low of a GPA I really don't see any other way than to do some sort of additional school and kill it (you really should shoot for a 4.0). DO schools may be a more realistic option as Goro mentioned. Personally, I would take the MCAT this year before it changes, but only if you are prepared. I had to study for the MCAT on top of my third year of pharm school and it sucked to be honest. I could not imagine having to study for an additional section....