Expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dodo2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am already tapped out and I have many more interviews to do.
I have spent almost $2000 already. I am wondering how much everybody has spent so far. How much do you anticipate spending for this whole process. These holidays are going be very lean and mean. I

Members don't see this ad.

I got a 0% APR credit card that I don't have to pay off until 2007... I'm using this for all my travel expenses and plan to start paying it partly in January with the next loan check from school and then when I start getting a pay check next summer. While not the best choice for everyone, this seems to be a good plan for me. :luck:

Don't forget to check with the financial aid office at your school. I have heard of at least a few schools that allow you to borrow extra in your 4th year for interviewing expenses.

About $2000 total but I'm only interviewing at six places.

The big kick in the &#$# was Step 2 CS. I could really use that $1400 right now.

get the MedEx loan.. it's through Sallie Mae.. 12K. The interest rate isn't great but it's better than a credit card..

I'm saving all my receipts in case there's some way I can get money back (tax write-offs and such) from this whole enterprize. Can I?

PS. I don't know much about financial stuff. :(

Tax write off on what? My gross income for the last four years has been in the $100 range.

However, if you travel after January 1st, you probably can deduct the travel expenses from your luxurious intern income in the coming year.

Orange Julius said:
I'm saving all my receipts in case there's some way I can get money back (tax write-offs and such) from this whole enterprize. Can I?

PS. I don't know much about financial stuff. :(

There is a teensy paragraph in Iserson's discussing this. I think it boiled down to: "Nope." Just like the previous poster said, "What income?" When you are applying for fellowship; however, keep your receipts.