Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
what are some relatively cheap OTC items, that are very expensive if the pharmacy filled it? ....for example, nexium 20mg brand name OTC has a sticker price around $25. when i billed CIGNA for generic, the patient's copay becomes $200. i checked the cash price and i remember it being $300+ ? .... so for NEXIUM in particular if they went to get OTC brand name, the cost is 10x less!!! ... i believe Flonase is another #cvs bastard.

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
what are some relatively cheap OTC items, that are very expensive if the pharmacy filled it? ....for example, nexium 20mg brand name OTC has a sticker price around $25. when i billed CIGNA for generic, the patient's copay becomes $200. i checked the cash price and i remember it being $300+ ? .... so for NEXIUM in particular if they went to get OTC brand name, the cost is 10x less!!! ... i believe Flonase is another #cvs bastard.
Dual indication items are good in that people with insurance can still get them (at least on most plans). When you have a wider distribution, you always have a lower price. You do what's best for the patient.

Ackj

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
Oxytrol patches were like that, but they discontinued the OTC version. Was something like $30 OTC, but a few hundred on RX.