expensive OTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are some relatively cheap OTC items, that are very expensive if the pharmacy filled it? ....for example, nexium 20mg brand name OTC has a sticker price around $25. when i billed CIGNA for generic, the patient's copay becomes $200. i checked the cash price and i remember it being $300+ ? .... so for NEXIUM in particular if they went to get OTC brand name, the cost is 10x less!!! ... i believe Flonase is another #cvs bastard.

Members don't see this ad.

what are some relatively cheap OTC items, that are very expensive if the pharmacy filled it? ....for example, nexium 20mg brand name OTC has a sticker price around $25. when i billed CIGNA for generic, the patient's copay becomes $200. i checked the cash price and i remember it being $300+ ? .... so for NEXIUM in particular if they went to get OTC brand name, the cost is 10x less!!! ... i believe Flonase is another #cvs bastard.

Dual indication items are good in that people with insurance can still get them (at least on most plans). When you have a wider distribution, you always have a lower price. You do what's best for the patient.

Oxytrol patches were like that, but they discontinued the OTC version. Was something like $30 OTC, but a few hundred on RX.