Expensive school or cheap school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted by one expensive top-tier school and one cheap school. Actually they are Washington University in St. Louis and Concordia University Wisconsin. I do not know how to choose.

WUSTL awarded all the scholarships and assistantship positions to other students before notifying me that I was accepted, which left me no chance to apply any scholarships and assistantship positions. It made me pissed off. :mad: On the contrary, the people in Concordia University Wisconsin are very nice. But WUSTL is a very nice school. I think it will benefit my future career if I can graduate from it.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would choose the one I liked more, weighing the pros and cons of going to each school, which may include cost as a factor. For me, I chose the more expensive school because I liked everything about it better than the cheaper one.

Thank you for all the replies. I am international student. So I am not eligible for any financial aid. I simply can not afford WUSTL. But I can afford Concordia University Wisconsin. And also, I feel people in WUSTL are cold. On the contrary, people in Concordia University Wisconsin are really nice.

I am international student. So I am not eligible for any financial aid.

You can get the Sallie Mae Signature Loan, as long as you have a citizen or permanent citizen cosign it for you. Thats what I am doing to pay for part of mine....

Thank you so much for your information. I knew that I can get some private loans. But I can not find a citizen or permanent citizen cosign it for me. I asked some people. But they were afraid that it would affect their own credits and refused to help me. How did you find one who was willing to help you? Thanks.

You can get the Sallie Mae Signature Loan, as long as you have a citizen or permanent citizen cosign it for you. Thats what I am doing to pay for part of mine....

Thank you so much for your information. I knew that I can get some private loans. But I can not find a citizen or permanent citizen cosign it for me. I asked some people. But they were afraid that it would affect their own credits and refused to help me. How did you find one who was willing to help you? Thanks.

My sister is a permanent resident, so that made it easier I guess :)

Thank you for all the replies. I am international student. So I am not eligible for any financial aid. I simply can not afford WUSTL. But I can afford Concordia University Wisconsin. And also, I feel people in WUSTL are cold. On the contrary, people in Concordia University Wisconsin are really nice.

I think this statement speaks loudly. If you feel this way, then I think you may already be set towards Concordia. Also, if money is an issue (which it seems like it is based on your replies), then I think you already know what would be the smarter choice financially.

Now if it's still not clear for you, then you have to weigh the pros and cons (especially the intangibles of each school)....clinical sites, excellent faculty, research options, resources, the "name" associated with it, future contacts/references, etc.

I chose to go the more expensive route because of the intangibles and I can honestly say it has paid off (with landing the perfect job).

Unfortunately, as for pay, it will be the same in the end for a new grad...