Experience from Undergrad in Experience section????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea if we should include experiences from undergrad (or from between undergrad and med school) in the ERAS experiences section?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Supplemental question: How about high school?

I have some very unique high school experiences that I wanted to include (I'm no longer competitive in these experiences but continue to do them recreationally)

And no, it's not beet farming or paint balling.

Supplemental question: How about high school?

I have some very unique high school experiences that I wanted to include (I'm no longer competitive in these experiences but continue to do them recreationally)

And no, it's not beet farming or paint balling.

I'd probably squeeze it into hobbies because I don't know of another place that it fits.

Can anyone else give some feedback? I also wanted to put college experiences in the CV section and was interested to see if many of you were doing the same.

Can anyone else give some feedback? I also wanted to put college experiences in the CV section and was interested to see if many of you were doing the same.

i'm listing some college experiences (i'm pretty sure our dean said it was ok to do)

I havnt' got a clear answer on this from anyone. I may include it if it was significant and medically related. Otherwise, programs may think you are artificially "beefing" up the CV section. From what I have heard, unless you are applying to academic/university program and are posting necessary research, the CV section is not really significant. (My program residency director told me she doenst read the CV or PS of any of the applicants until the day of the interview-interviews are given based on LOR/transcript/dean's letter/board scores)(if you are wondering what I am applying to, it is an advanced program)

i'm posting undergrad experiences too.... i haven't heard a consensus on yes/no, but i personally think it's okay if its relevant to medicine or your personality....

I think the rule of thumb should be to remember this: you are trying to convince people to hire you as a doctor of some variety. Think about things that would come across as useful, impressive and distinguishing towards that end.

All undergrad experiences were not created equal. Did you play Division I varsity football? Did you spent a year on exchange in Senegal? Why yes, that meets criterion #1 very well (it's impressive, unique and useful). I could quite easily imagine that such an experience-- which occurred 4-8 years ago at minimum-- continues to impact your life and medical training in a specific way that would warrant a mention on your residency app.

However... TA'ing in organic chemistry or organizing a run/walk sophomore year or doing one of the countless things that practically every premed/college student has done is probably not going to help you. Those things were entirely appropriate on your medical school application, but it's time to shed them as you move onwards. Just as, I assume, you stopped listing all the high school sports and clubs you belonged to when you applied for medical school 4 years ago.

bump

I was curious about adding unique work experience during the year off I took between undergrad and med school. I worked as a painter, UPS driver, and comcast warehouse manager?

I am not trying to stretch my experiences, but trying to provide conversation material for next fall. What do you think?

I was curious about adding unique work experience during the year off I took between undergrad and med school. I worked as a painter, UPS driver, and comcast warehouse manager?

I am not trying to stretch my experiences, but trying to provide conversation material for next fall. What do you think?

I think that actually gets to a slightly different issue from the OP.

As a rule of thumb, you should probably be able to account for all of your time since graduating from college. If there are gaps in your formal education, you should be able to account for that time. Whether that was spent working, doing research, whatever.

How much are you guys/gals actually entering for the "Description" portion of your Work Experiences? They give you 1020 characters to describe the job...

FWIW I'm entering undergrad work experiences that were (A) medically related, (B) positions where I had significant responsibilities.