Experience in getting COVID pts off vent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No personal experience

Median ecmo duration 14d with iqr 8-23d. Lots of ECF discharges not unexpectedly. Doesn't sound like they're anywhere close to liberating. What about transplant?
Thanks. Seems surprising to me in they quote 40% survival, but I don’t know. 8 day ECMO run for ARDS is incredibly short, so maybe they had aggressive cannulations to fudge those numbers?

As far as lung transplant, I don’t know. We would probably have to defer to the adult side as they do a good number of lung transplants, but we don’t do pediatric transplants. But he’s an adult with single organ disease essentially so I don’t know.

Members don't see this ad.

Almost forgot to answer this. I have seen one case of Pulmonary edema caused by negative pressure in my 7 years of practice and I take care of lots of strapping young men in the OR.
So yeah, sure it does exist.
But I don’t think it’s that prevalent at all. I have not bought into all its hype.
Research changes all the time. What’s en vogue today may change next year.
P-SILI isn't negative pressure pulmonary edema, it's the lung injury caused by high transpulmonary pressures driven by the patient rather than the ventilator (or both if they're ventilated and spontaneously breathing).

I have been tolerating larger TVs in some patients if their driving pressures are good (eg <12) in a pressure control mode keeping Pinsp well less than 30 and if the usual sedation (eg prop/fent) was ineffective at controlling their inspiratory efforts because I felt that the heavy sedation/paralytics would be of greater harm. I just can't buy that someone on the vent with a driving pressure of 8 pulling 600 cc volumes is being harmed more than me paralyzing him to keep his numbers right.
Their driving pressure isn't 8 though, it's 8 plus Pmus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their driving pressure isn't 8 though, it's 8 plus Pmus.
Ok so do we think that is enough to warrant paralysis then since I cant really measure it on these patients? How long should we paralyze people not responding to sedation with high respiratory drive to keep their volumes in check before we are doing more harm than good? We know with COVID that it can be 2-4 weeks before the lungs recover enough to even tolerate a trach let alone getting to an LTACH. I saw one person who was paralyzed for a week with a decent outcome but the vast majority who are paralyzed that long end up with fibrotic end stage lung disease and die on the vent.

P-SILI isn't negative pressure pulmonary edema, it's the lung injury caused by high transpulmonary pressures driven by the patient rather than the ventilator (or both if they're ventilated and spontaneously breathing).
Well then, I don’t believe in it. Negative pressure pulmonary edema is like a type of self induced lung injury although doesn’t seem to be in your opinion. It’s the closest I have ever seen to self indunced lung injury and I don’t buy into the rest. Otherwise all these fat patients who use BiPap and CPAP every night would be walking around with injuries all the time as already stated above by another doc.

Alright, so we don't see much COVID ARDS in pediatrics (more the occasional MIS-C), but in our infinite wisdom, we took a 21 year old COVID ARDS on ECMO to offload the adult side and because we take care of young adults and have a pretty high ECMO volume for pediatrics with good familiarity. Anyway, what is everyone else's experience having successful decannulation? This is an n=1 for me in this disease but our adult colleagues quoted some statistic like 40% survival to hospital discharge for COVID ECMO. I thought, no way unless survival to hospital discharge meant survivor to hospice or transfer to another center, but maybe that's accurate? I personally don't think this young man will survive since he's week 2 into his ECMO run and his lungs look like garbage, but what is everyone else's experience with COVID ECMO?

We ran out of pumps a while ago. 2 weeks isn’t super long, and he’s young. Update us in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m not a fan of prolonged paralysis, but I’m also not a fan of pressure control. Middle of the night compliance changes leading to hypoventilation due to poor monitoring is something I have personally witnessed.
Exactly. And then you get CO2s in the 80-100s and pHs around 7 especially in ARF and then bad things happen.
Yeah, hate it myself.

No thoughts for bilateral lung transplant ? We had a couple age 40 to 50 who have been on MV for a couple of weeks and now pCO2 are in the 100s. I asked about ECMO and they said if they were accepted for lung transplants they would consider. Neither are candidates at present as only one facility in our Midwest region does lung transplants for COVID.
Rare to find any that do them. Seems like many want them up and around and not bedridden close to death. That’s the jest I have heard in my region of the world.

Alright, so we don't see much COVID ARDS in pediatrics (more the occasional MIS-C), but in our infinite wisdom, we took a 21 year old COVID ARDS on ECMO to offload the adult side and because we take care of young adults and have a pretty high ECMO volume for pediatrics with good familiarity. Anyway, what is everyone else's experience having successful decannulation? This is an n=1 for me in this disease but our adult colleagues quoted some statistic like 40% survival to hospital discharge for COVID ECMO. I thought, no way unless survival to hospital discharge meant survivor to hospice or transfer to another center, but maybe that's accurate? I personally don't think this young man will survive since he's week 2 into his ECMO run and his lungs look like garbage, but what is everyone else's experience with COVID ECMO?
Well the ECMO mortality at the hospital I currently am is over 80%. However sample size is less than 20 so far and this place is literally where patients come to die. Dangerous from top to bottom and I am done this week. Thank you Jesus.
It is insane what I have experienced the last few months working here. Can’t make this stuff up. The ECMO team tells me that nationwide it’s about 45% mortality.

• Hmm
Well the ECMO mortality at the hospital I currently am is over 80%. However sample size is less than 20 so far and this place is literally where patients come to die. Dangerous from top to bottom and I am done this week. Thank you Jesus.
It is insane what I have experienced the last few months working here. Can’t make this stuff up. The ECMO team tells me that nationwide it’s about 45% mortality.

That doesn’t surprise me. I know of places that wallet biopsy before putting on pump.

They feel the same about acute liver failure?

Completely different beast. Where I trained, they would do lungs on folks who are already on pump. Here, they like them fairly active. I’ve sent people on 3 pressors and on crrt for a liver who have done well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well then, I don’t believe in it. Negative pressure pulmonary edema is like a type of self induced lung injury although doesn’t seem to be in your opinion. It’s the closest I have ever seen to self indunced lung injury and I don’t buy into the rest. Otherwise all these fat patients who use BiPap and CPAP every night would be walking around with injuries all the time as already stated above by another doc.

Except they wouldn’t because they have normal lungs and they’re probably not actually generating that high trans pulmonary pressures.

That’s disgusting.

Yea, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think we need to distribute care as equitably as possible. On the other, you can’t spend $1M on a 60 day ecmo run on I uninsured people too many times and keep the lights on. What I did find horribly disgusting was people who are put on ecmo in the big community site who I never would have considered ecmo on because they’re not sick enough.

They feel the same about acute liver failure?
Lung xplant is a totally different animal because of microbial exposure. The only organ with worse outcomes is small bowel transplant and if that organ fails people can go back on to TPN at least instead of guaranteed death.

People who cant walk before transplant do much worse.

Reactions: 1 users
Completely different beast. Where I trained, they would do lungs on folks who are already on pump. Here, they like them fairly active. I’ve sent people on 3 pressors and on crrt for a liver who have done well.

Lung xplant is a totally different animal because of microbial exposure. The only organ with worse outcomes is small bowel transplant and if that organ fails people can go back on to TPN at least instead of guaranteed death.

People who cant walk before transplant do much worse.

Thanks, makes sense. Have some exposure to taking care of multivisc / small bowels but haven't had lungs before

Thanks, makes sense. Have some exposure to taking care of multivisc / small bowels but haven't had lungs before
Consider yourself lucky--definitely was glad to get away from this super sick population when I exited training. They get bizarre post-op infections, can have 4-6 month+ hospitalizations, super weird **** like hyper ammonia syndrome requiring crrt for months etc.

It’s just like anything else in critical care. At first, it seems a little foreign, then the curtain rapidly comes down and you realize they have all the same issues plus weird infection and complications directly related to surgery (anastomotic break down). We had some really good transplant surgeons and pulmonologists where I trained.

Ok so do we think that is enough to warrant paralysis then since I cant really measure it on these patients? How long should we paralyze people not responding to sedation with high respiratory drive to keep their volumes in check before we are doing more harm than good? We know with COVID that it can be 2-4 weeks before the lungs recover enough to even tolerate a trach let alone getting to an LTACH. I saw one person who was paralyzed for a week with a decent outcome but the vast majority who are paralyzed that long end up with fibrotic end stage lung disease and die on the vent.
I don't think it's enough to warrant paralysis. Maybe more sedation in the short term? We don't know what to do with these patients. At best we have experimental data in animals that show it is harmful, but hard to know what to do with real patients who have a high drive.

I believe in NPPE just it isn't the type of injury that I was referring to with patients who have self-inflicted driving perssures. your bipap/cpap patients should have normal lung compliance so there shouldn't be any lung injury. Furthermore what we do know about P-SILI is that the lung has to be injured (e.g. from pneumonia, aspiration, non pulmonary ARDS) PLUS high driving pressures for there to be harm.

Yea, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think we need to distribute care as equitably as possible. On the other, you can’t spend $1M on a 60 day ecmo run on I uninsured people too many times and keep the lights on. What I did find horribly disgusting was people who are put on ecmo in the big community site who I never would have considered ecmo on because they’re not sick enough.
Well maybe the 60 days is a little much no? Are you all doing that on Covid patients? Yeah, I know it’s expensive, but I am thinking that if there is government funding of a public/county hospital, that helps, no?

I don't think it's enough to warrant paralysis. Maybe more sedation in the short term? We don't know what to do with these patients. At best we have experimental data in animals that show it is harmful, but hard to know what to do with real patients who have a high drive.

I believe in NPPE just it isn't the type of injury that I was referring to with patients who have self-inflicted driving perssures. your bipap/cpap patients should have normal lung compliance so there shouldn't be any lung injury. Furthermore what we do know about P-SILI is that the lung has to be injured (e.g. from pneumonia, aspiration, non pulmonary ARDS) PLUS high driving pressures for there to be harm.
Quite frankly this is the first I have heard of it. As for me, it’s just common sense that if an awake person is pulling giant TV with lots of pressure support, then naturally they don’t need all that support. I simply turn it down and move on. I am simple and am not well versed in lots of studies and can’t quote you papers. I try to keep things practical.

It’s just like anything else in critical care. At first, it seems a little foreign, then the curtain rapidly comes down and you realize they have all the same issues plus weird infection and complications directly related to surgery (anastomotic break down). We had some really good transplant surgeons and pulmonologists where I trained.
We had one w a bad reputation. However what stood out to me was the high doses of Vaso he used.

Why can’t you just keep the volumes in check by adjusting their pressures?
And, is there an association with long term paralysis and fibrotic lung damage? All I know is neuropathy, but I love to learn. I am thinking it’s the illness causing the fibrosis. Does paralysis contribute somehow?

Why can’t you just keep the volumes in check by adjusting their pressures?
And, is there an association with long term paralysis and fibrotic lung damage? All I know is neuropathy, but I love to learn. I am thinking it’s the illness causing the fibrosis. Does paralysis contribute somehow?

Most of the time they are on VC and trying to pull big volumes but not strong enough so they start stacking supported breaths to get there and the vent alarms go off incessantly. This is already on ICU max of prop/fent/ketamine + antipsychotics with no other evidence of neurological function. Sedation hold in AM proves that this isnt deep-sedation related double trigger.

At this point my choices are: Switch to PC and let them have all the flow they want to get to those 8-9 cc/kg breaths vs. paralysis. I know once I commit to paralysis this can last for days in ARDS patients but in the COVID population it actually turns in to weeks. I know if they are paralyzed for weeks and somehow survive they are going to require enormous rehab since these people are too weak to fight the vent or even breath stack at that point. Or I can let them take their bigger breaths as long as I convince myself that the pressures are not harmful and try to avoid the paralytic-associated weakness but the trade off could be their lung injury is worse/death since I am violating volume targets. Fibrosis is going to happen (or not) regardless of which option I go with. I've seen it go both ways, no idea which is right.

Most of the time they are on VC and trying to pull big volumes but not strong enough so they start stacking supported breaths to get there and the vent alarms go off incessantly. This is already on ICU max of prop/fent/ketamine + antipsychotics with no other evidence of neurological function. Sedation hold in AM proves that this isnt deep-sedation related double trigger.

At this point my choices are: Switch to PC and let them have all the flow they want to get to those 8-9 cc/kg breaths vs. paralysis. I know once I commit to paralysis this can last for days in ARDS patients but in the COVID population it actually turns in to weeks. I know if they are paralyzed for weeks and somehow survive they are going to require enormous rehab since these people are too weak to fight the vent or even breath stack at that point. Or I can let them take their bigger breaths as long as I convince myself that the pressures are not harmful and try to avoid the paralytic-associated weakness but the trade off could be their lung injury is worse/death since I am violating volume targets. Fibrosis is going to happen (or not) regardless of which option I go with. I've seen it go both ways, no idea which is right.
I cannot say I have experienced this that cannot be controlled with PC and decreasing their Pi on three sedatives/narcotics. The only people who do this are awake people on BiPap on at most Precedex. Not patients on the ventilator. Do you think that maybe you are intubating too early? It they have this drive and muscle tone to pull such giant volumes, why are they intubated?

I cannot say I have experienced this that cannot be controlled with PC and decreasing their Pi on three sedatives/narcotics. The only people who do this are awake people on BiPap on at most Precedex. Not patients on the ventilator. Do you think that maybe you are intubating too early? It they have this drive and muscle tone to pull such giant volumes, why are they intubated?
I would say I encounter one of these people out of 30 or so in the 200+ vented covids I have cared for. Most of them are intubated for bipap dependence and in some cases extremis from being left on bipap for too long.

I am wary of low support pc because once they tucker out their volumes will plummet and our rts are stretched very thin.

Consider yourself lucky--definitely was glad to get away from this super sick population when I exited training. They get bizarre post-op infections, can have 4-6 month+ hospitalizations, super weird **** like hyper ammonia syndrome requiring crrt for months etc.
You make already know this, but this interesting phenomenon is caused by overgrowth of Ureaplasma urealyticum overgrowth/pneumonia.

Lung transplant patients can be rewarding. You just have to find zen for the management of the chronically sick ones.