Experience in Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted878916

I see that the biggest factor in getting into optometry is based on how much experience you have in the field even with lower grades/scores. I like the idea of that, but I don't understand how I can go about finding more experience besides shadowing optometrists. I'd like to help them out in some way but I haven't had any opportunities to. How were you able to gain experience before attending an optometry school?

With low-to-average scores and OAT, is simply shadowing optometrists at 3 different settings enough for admissions? And about how many hours each? I was looking into schools like NECO, KYO, SCO, and MCPHS.

Members don't see this ad.

Work as a secretary at one of the optometrist's office. Or work at some place like lenscrafters or Pearle vision.
I got into schools with around 10 hrs of shadowing experience and working in those retail stores doing pretests for optometrists. I also had a really low gpa (~2.6 for science and ~2.85 for overall gpa, but with upward trend in the sciences). My oat was 330TS/330AA if that's any help. I got accepted into PCO and NECO.
I also recommend not applying to mcphs because they are having issues with accreditation, but it's up to you.

I looked around for part-time job opportunities as optometry offices, and worked at two during undergrad and my gap year. If your school has a pre-optometry club, they are likely to have some connections with hiring ODs.

As for how much, I would think about how many hours are necessary to get a good idea of what optometry is really like. If you're only doing 4 hours at each place, you're not really seeing the full picture. In my opinion, working somewhere is the best experience. It will also speak to your time management skills and dependability.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a low undergraduate GPA you can do a one year masters program in a science. I did that and earned an MS in biology with a 4.0 and had no problem getting accepted. My undergrad GPA was about a 3.0 so the schools really acknowledged my improvement.
I shadowed a couple different setting for optometry with a total of 100 hours shadowing.
I currently work in a cancer research lab and they really liked that as well. It can be difficult to find a job in a optometry setting and schools really like seeing research experience.

I see that the biggest factor in getting into optometry is based on how much experience you have in the field even with lower grades/scores.

You need to get your eyes checked.

Reactions: 1 user