Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im in a bit of a dilemma and am seeking advice or input from those who have already gone through the admissions process (hence posting here rather than pre-pharm). I know that every situation and every applicant is different but any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I have a BA in Journalism and an MBA, along with ~$65k student loans.
I have been working at a hospital for about 4 years handling intellectual property and commercialization. This has given me healthcare experience, exposure to medical concepts and industry trends, etc. Ill spare you the background, but this has also helped solidify my decision to pursue pharmacy.
The problem is this job pays way below market value and there have been tons of budget cuts (i.e. a raise is not in the future).
Dilemma: I want to pay down my student loans (goal of getting them down to at least $20k) before beginning pharmacy school so thats the hurdle in the way right now. I have received a few job offers for more pay (ranging from $5k-$12k more than I make now).
So . . .
1) Stay with current job with crappy pay, bonus of gaining further experience in healthcare; useful in application/admissions (?)
2) Take one of the new offers although all are in non-healthcare industries (i.e. automotive public relations, technology marketing) for more pay
Can I supplement non-career experience with something just as beneficial? My fear is that if I left healthcare right now for more money, admins would look at my resume and background and wonder what in the world I was doing applying to pharm school with a non-science journalism degree and MBA.
Any advice or input from those who have been accepted or gone through the admissions process?
Thank you!!!
I have a BA in Journalism and an MBA, along with ~$65k student loans.
I have been working at a hospital for about 4 years handling intellectual property and commercialization. This has given me healthcare experience, exposure to medical concepts and industry trends, etc. Ill spare you the background, but this has also helped solidify my decision to pursue pharmacy.
The problem is this job pays way below market value and there have been tons of budget cuts (i.e. a raise is not in the future).
Dilemma: I want to pay down my student loans (goal of getting them down to at least $20k) before beginning pharmacy school so thats the hurdle in the way right now. I have received a few job offers for more pay (ranging from $5k-$12k more than I make now).
So . . .
1) Stay with current job with crappy pay, bonus of gaining further experience in healthcare; useful in application/admissions (?)
2) Take one of the new offers although all are in non-healthcare industries (i.e. automotive public relations, technology marketing) for more pay
Can I supplement non-career experience with something just as beneficial? My fear is that if I left healthcare right now for more money, admins would look at my resume and background and wonder what in the world I was doing applying to pharm school with a non-science journalism degree and MBA.
Any advice or input from those who have been accepted or gone through the admissions process?
Thank you!!!
, I was set on pharmacy. I had a good relationship with my current pharmacist and was able to get helpful advice and input from him and he had nothing but good things to say about the field. This sounds cheesy, but I think I lacked the confidence back then because I let some of the core classes intimidate me and immediately threw in the towel. I have a much better handle on studying and learning in general now (I should after 6 years of school!) and am totally confident in my abilities. 