experience with baby breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to get back into a residency program after a 2 year baby break. At the time I made the decision to interrupt the program lightly thinking that it would be no problem to finish the remaining 2 years at another program, even if it would require a cross-country move.

Now, after having contacted a few programs I get the impression that it is not that easy after all: Are there funding issues based on the current economy? I have all the required LORs and my track record is great, but no luck so far. Is it the 2 year break that worry the program directors? Will it be even harder in one or two years if I don't find a spot this year?

If anyone has experienced something similar or knows a comparable story, please share. Thanks! And btw, I am looking for a PGY3 or 4 in Psych :)

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to get back into a residency program after a 2 year baby break. At the time I made the decision to interrupt the program lightly thinking that it would be no problem to finish the remaining 2 years at another program, even if it would require a cross-country move.

Now, after having contacted a few programs I get the impression that it is not that easy after all: Are there funding issues based on the current economy? I have all the required LORs and my track record is great, but no luck so far. Is it the 2 year break that worry the program directors? Will it be even harder in one or two years if I don't find a spot this year?

If anyone has experienced something similar or knows a comparable story, please share. Thanks! And btw, I am looking for a PGY3 or 4 in Psych :)

:confused:

Have you contacted your prior PD? Of course, it would have been best to have discussed this ahead of time but this is far and away your best shot to continue at your current PGY level. Your second best shot is to start over as a PGY1. 3rd best option is to find a program willing to let you start as a PGY2.

The problem you are running into is simply that advanced PGY residents oversee less advanced PGY residents. It's difficult, as a PD, to take someone as a PGY3 with only a few letters and assurances that "Hey, they trained here several years ago and did fine" and know that, in fact, you'll adequately supervise PGY-1's and 2's and be clinically competent.

OPtions:
1. As mentioned above, your prior program is always a good bet.
2. See if your former PD can help you find a PGY-2 spot NOW somewhere. Maybe someone dropped out. You'd start as a PGY-2 and have 3 months to prove that you can handle the PGY-3 workload.
3. Apply broadly, try and find a PGY-3 spot. This would require that some program has someone who dropped out in the PGY-2 year.
4. As above, try and find a PGY-2 spot for July. That would seem to be a waste of a year, but might be required.
5. I doubt anyone would take you as a PGY-1. Most programs won't do this.

Thanks a lot for your advice! I will go ahead and follow your advice. However, are you aware of any funding differences this year? It seems there are programs out there who don't replace residents after they left. Why is that? Again, thanks and Happy Easter-Monday!:)

The problem you are running into is simply that advanced PGY residents oversee less advanced PGY residents. It's difficult, as a PD, to take someone as a PGY3 with only a few letters and assurances that "Hey, they trained here several years ago and did fine" and know that, in fact, you'll adequately supervise PGY-1's and 2's and be clinically competent.

Agree with this, although less of an issue in psychiatry than other specialites. The team model applies to psychiatry less than other specialties. A lot of psych is 1 to 1 between resident and attending.

Agree with this, although less of an issue in psychiatry than other specialties. The team model applies to psychiatry less than other specialties. A lot of psych is 1 to 1 between resident and attending.

Another problem is that for most Psych residencies programs, the 3rd year is an outpatient year with alot more autonomy. A PD may be hesitant to hire pino as a 3rd year because they don't know if they can give pino the independence most 3rd years get.