Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sie_kath

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Just curious where everyone got veterinary and animal experience.
If anyone is going to the University of Florida and has gotten experience and could just tell me where you did so I can get an idea where you looked I'd appreciate it, especially for large animal.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd guess go to Ocala. It is the horse capital of Florida after all. Horses are large animals.

My first shadowing experience was at a large private practice in Taiwan, where they saw mostly dogs and cats, but there was the occasional rabbit and pygmy owl. I am currently volunteering at a spay and neuter clinic, and shadowing their shelter veterinarian. I know a few people who started out shadowing/volunteering for shelter veterinarians, especially those at municipal shelters who would appreciate the extra help. I haven't had much luck with large animals so far (sent out a bunch of e-mails, and received a bunch of 'we would let you shadow but our mobile clinic doesn't service in your area' replies :(), however I would go with what Gwenevre said! :) I will be starting a wildlife rehabilitation center internship next week, which will also give me the opportunity to shadow and possibly assist their veterinarians so maybe try searching/applying for internship opportunities near you that would let you gain both veterinary and animal experience?

Good luck! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user