experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

staythecourse

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As of right now, I am in my 2nd to last semester of community before i transfer with all my prep for major done. I work about 24 hours a week and volunteer about 8 hours(1 day) a week in a small animal clinic. Mostly observing procedures, shadowing the vet during exams, and sometimes participating in minor things such as shots/bloodwork/grooming.

I do intend on finding a clinic that has an open position in the next few months and i have a vet that i will be doing large animal ride alongs.

How much is a usual amount of experience that schools tend to look for?
Do they look for a lot of variety?

I'd like to find all this out wjhile i still have a good deal of time before i worry about appluications

thanks
 
I've always been told to get experience in what you like, but I have to assume any experience is good experience. Shoot for at least a thousand hours total for work/volunteer in a few different places.