Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myotis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as a prospective vet student, I am currently looking for opportunities to gain experience. I already have about 1100 hours of experience as a kennel staff, and another 100 hours in wildlife rehab. I am looking for a job as a vet tech as the vets up here are very reluctant to let people shadow. There is one hospital that I am dying to work at, but they aren't currently hiring. I did bring in a resume, and they said they would hold on to it for six months, but I am planning on giving them a call a few times before that six month period is up just in case. Anyhow, it is really hard to find tech jobs in the area. There is one place that is currently hiring, BUT, I know other people who work there who are telling me it's not worth it because the office manager is crazy and abusive. Should I even bother applying? I really need the experience, so should I just grin and bear it? The place also has gotten really bad reviews from clients. There is another place that is frequently hiring, but the vet has had his license suspended on more than one occasion. Should I apply to these places despite all the bad things I've heard? Or should I just wait and hope the place I really want to work at starts hiring? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So, as a prospective vet student, I am currently looking for opportunities to gain experience. I already have about 1100 hours of experience as a kennel staff, and another 100 hours in wildlife rehab. I am looking for a job as a vet tech as the vets up here are very reluctant to let people shadow. There is one hospital that I am dying to work at, but they aren't currently hiring. I did bring in a resume, and they said they would hold on to it for six months, but I am planning on giving them a call a few times before that six month period is up just in case. Anyhow, it is really hard to find tech jobs in the area. There is one place that is currently hiring, BUT, I know other people who work there who are telling me it's not worth it because the office manager is crazy and abusive. Should I even bother applying? I really need the experience, so should I just grin and bear it? The place also has gotten really bad reviews from clients. There is another place that is frequently hiring, but the vet has had his license suspended on more than one occasion. Should I apply to these places despite all the bad things I've heard? Or should I just wait and hope the place I really want to work at starts hiring? Thanks

This is just my opinion, but...
Think about your letters of recommendation. If you wouldn't want the vet in charge to write you a letter, then it's probably not worth the hassle. If it's not someone you respect, and feel you can learn from, and if you won't get the LOR from it, I think you'd be better off waiting a bit and seeing if an assistant or shadow opp opens up elsewhere. Grinning and bearing it can be TOUGH. And once you have a job, it can be tough to find another one.

In the meantime, while you wait for a vet opp, can you see if any local farms or LA places need some help? It at least gets you experience with different species.

Anyway, that's what I'd probably do.

This is just my opinion, but...
Think about your letters of recommendation. If you wouldn't want the vet in charge to write you a letter, then it's probably not worth the hassle. If it's not someone you respect, and feel you can learn from, and if you won't get the LOR from it, I think you'd be better off waiting a bit and seeing if an assistant or shadow opp opens up elsewhere. Grinning and bearing it can be TOUGH. And once you have a job, it can be tough to find another one.

In the meantime, while you wait for a vet opp, can you see if any local farms or LA places need some help? It at least gets you experience with different species.

Anyway, that's what I'd probably do.

Yea, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I'll be getting back in to wildlife rehab next semester so I can keep working with animals, and a bunch of professors and grad students are going to start research projects in the spring, so I'm hoping to get involved in some of them. Thanks for the input :thumbup: