experienced dr.'s, question about jobs/applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeod2583

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any doctors willing to share how they went about applying/securing their first job. Did any doctors out there secure their first job while they were on externships? If so, how did you go about doing it, especially if you were out of state at the time of your application. Did you start full time, part time at multiple practices? What are benefits/draw-backs of doing so. And is the internet really a good place to search, it really seems like the search is limited (obviously it could be a reflection of the economy). Lastly did anyone of you start a practice cold or try to buy out another doc straight out school, if so any advice on this process? Thanks to anyone willing to respond to these questions......

Members don't see this ad.

Go to state and local meetings. I go to the Virginia ones every year and I have a handful of business cards from docs who are looking for an associate. I was lucky enough to land a job with the optometrist I worked for in college, but meetings are probably the best place to network and meet optometrists who are looking for some help. Even if you're not currently in a state where you want to practice, it wouldn't hurt to go to the meetings nearby and put yourself out there. :thumbup: