MD & DO Experiences with memory palace & loci techniques...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehd014

Reaction score
Saw some old threads and was wondering if anyone currently on the forum is actively using memory palace or loci techniques in their course work or for exams. If so, please share your positive and negative experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Used in throughout med school Mad up palaces in my mind of varying location for each subject....helped immensely for recall (in addition to Anki).

Was forced to do it for something... like literally forced. Our dean likes it so much she used it in a lecture and her test questions were on the memory palace itself that she walked us through. I despise it.

Members don't see this ad :)
how is this different than Sketchy?

It takes a long time to create useful palaces that have good yield. It is more important in medical school to understand the physiology and explain why symptoms or laboratory findings occur, or the major treatments and how they work, or types of pathologies and how they develop. An astute student should come to the conclusion that exam writers do not and cannot expect students to know everything in medicine, but instead understand the overarching themes and mechanisms and apply them to different situations.

There are a few situations where brute memorization is necessary (basic science such as gene marker names, anatomical names, chromosome numbers, embryologic derivatives, inflammatory markers, much of micro), but the yield of these facts is truly small in medical practice and on some boards. That said sketchy is a useful organizing tool similar to a memory palace and is helpful because the memory palace is already made for you. If you can bypass the time and energy it takes to create them, do it, but be careful to realize you need to understand the material not just regurgitate.

Reactions: 1 user
Three years out into my intern year, the things that have stuck in my mind the most are the ones I took time to make "memory palaces" for. Works the best to lay out a skeleton of names/basic facts that you can attach clinical experience to later.