Experimental theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salemstein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to get a better understanding in general when dealing with these types of questions. Say you're trying to prove increasing "A" causes an increase in "B". "A" is moderately expressed in WT/natural conditions. Which would better prove my case:
Scenario A: I run an experiment where A is increased. Results show B increased 50%.
Scenario B: I run an experiment where an antagonist of A is increased. Results show B decreased 50%.

Members don't see this ad.

They would both prove your case, although two aspects of it. When scientists think of "proving" that something causes something else, we think of two criteria: necessity and sufficiency. These are extremely important. Necessity means that A is necessary in order for B to occur. To test this, you would block A and see if B is blocked as well - if it is, you can say that A is necessary for B. Sufficiency means that A is sufficient for B to occur. To test this, you would upregulate A and see if that is sufficient for upregulation of B - if so, you can say that A is sufficient for B.

They would both prove your case, although two aspects of it. When scientists think of "proving" that something causes something else, we think of two criteria: necessity and sufficiency. These are extremely important. Necessity means that A is necessary in order for B to occur. To test this, you would block A and see if B is blocked as well - if it is, you can say that A is necessary for B. Sufficiency means that A is sufficient for B to occur. To test this, you would upregulate A and see if that is sufficient for upregulation of B - if so, you can say that A is sufficient for B.

But assuming you keep everything else the same, if upregulating A led to an increase in B, wouldn't that show that A is necessary for B to increase?

But assuming you keep everything else the same, if upregulating A led to an increase in B, wouldn't that show that A is necessary for B to increase?

No because B could still increase without A. Several possible alternatives could exist. For example, say B is downstream of both A and C in parallel pathways such that A is not necessary for B to increase as long as C is there. Look up "necessity and sufficiency" on Google and that should yield you some good explanations.