Expert witness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious if any of you ever serve as expert witnesses. If so, pros and cons? How do you set your fees?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive done everything including this. I set my fees too low, think it was 250/hr. and it supposedly created the impression I was "cheap"...or so my attorney buddies told me.

It is only okay IMO. Even if you charge 500+ (some very rare super stars do charge 2K/hr), it still is NOWHERE near as lucrative as just reading tons and tons of 88305s fast..

I did it to get the experience and was lucky enough to get paid quick by the firms. I have heard horror stories of guys getting paid only years later or never getting paid...caveat emptor!!

I do a fair amount of expert witness consulting as a forensic pathologist but it is really no different than doing any other type of medicolegal consulting. As was mentioned above, you want to have a good relationship with the firm/attorney that retains you, as sometimes getting them to pay your fee is a real tooth pulling experience. With respect to fees, definitely regionally based. I am in the NE and average rate here tends to be $500/hour, give or take, for a seasoned/well experienced expert. Definitely there are far easier ways to make a buck however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do a fair amount of expert witness consulting as a forensic pathologist but it is really no different than doing any other type of medicolegal consulting. As was mentioned above, you want to have a good relationship with the firm/attorney that retains you, as sometimes getting them to pay your fee is a real tooth pulling experience. With respect to fees, definitely regionally based. I am in the NE and average rate here tends to be $500/hour, give or take, for a seasoned/well experienced expert. Definitely there are far easier ways to make a buck however.

I might be a tad naive about this, but don't you ask for the money upfront before you so much as lift a finger? At least that's how the doctors from where I am from do their depositions. They'll just stop talking midway through a deposition if they go over their allotted 1 hour time unless another $1,500 check is cut to them on the spot.

I recently started requesting a retainer in advance from new clients. Many times however when I get the initial call from an attorney they are in a bit of a time crunch and need a report within a couple of weeks, so I do take the case on a bit of a leap of faith that I will get paid. Typically, it takes a solid 2+ months from the time I issue an invoice until I actually see payment. Depositions are a different animal and I always ask for payment in advance, as once the depo is over, and especially if it was a hostile depo, trying to get paid may be difficult.

How did you get started, out of curiosity?
I have subspecialty boards in forensics, which lends itself well to expert witness consulting, as we frequently are in court. I think that unless you are well known with subspecialty expertise you may have a tough time trying to build a reputation as an expert witness. You also may find it easier if you live in a larger metropolitan area, as you probably are not going to want to testify against a colleague if you live in a two horse town. A lot of the pathologists that do expert witness testimony gravitate along party lines and tend to stick to either being a defence or plaintiff's expert and do not cross sides, so if you are trying to build up a small expert witness practice your pathway may be dictated by what type of practice the attorneys have that reach out to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive done everything including this. I set my fees too low, think it was 250/hr. and it supposedly created the impression I was "cheap"...or so my attorney buddies told me.

It is only okay IMO. Even if you charge 500+ (some very rare super stars do charge 2K/hr), it still is NOWHERE near as lucrative as just reading tons and tons of 88305s fast..

I did it to get the experience and was lucky enough to get paid quick by the firms. I have heard horror stories of guys getting paid only years later or never getting paid...caveat emptor!!

Isn't it a lot easier to do $500/hr x a few hours of medicolegal consulting than it is to queue up a comparative dollar amount of 88305s?

Expert witness consulting is not exactly a get rich quick scheme. For 95+% of the individuals that do consulting their expert witness earned income probably represents <5% of their total annual income. The exceptions are the individuals that are retired and do a bit of consulting and the full time professional ******-but those individuals are few/far between.

Nope, not at all.

damn for all the complaining you guys do you've got it pretty good if it's easy to read 88305's and crank out way more than 500/hr in net profit.....not too many people in medicine are generating way more than that in profit per hour

damn for all the complaining you guys do you've got it pretty good if it's easy to read 88305's and crank out way more than 500/hr in net profit.....not too many people in medicine are generating way more than that in profit per hour

You should have thought more carefully about your choice of specialty.

Is that Vladamir Putin wearing sunglasses in that avitar picture?