Expired MCAT--how does your old score count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthogenes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at the AAMC site, I just need some pointers. Wading through the search is not helping.

If your old MCAT expires, might it still be looked at/averaged with/compared to your new MCAT?
How do you find out which school averages, which takes the highest, etc.

Thank you!

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/313908/multiplescore.html
How are multiple scores used?

According to a survey of medical school admissions officers, schools use multiple sets of scores in several ways: (1) some schools weigh all sets of scores equally and note improvements, (2) others consider only the most recent set of scores, (3) still others take an average of all sets of scores, or (4) finally, some schools use only the highest set of scores or the highest individual sections scores.

Return to FAQ

Members don't see this ad.

If your new score is the same or higher than your old score then this is a tiny wee issue.

All MCAT scores are seen on your app. Thus, expired or not, they're used in tabulations if the school uses some other criteria than merely using the most recent score

How this will relate to the all-new MCAT will take some time to figure out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thus, expired or not, they're used in tabulations if the school uses some other criteria than merely using the most recent score.

I agree that they are on the record. However, by your explanation, if you have a 10 year old score that's a 37 and one from this year that's a 27, a school that takes the "best score" will use your 37 and a school that averages will give you 32, and that would seem to defy the meaning of "expired". Since schools can manipulate all of this info by computer, I see no reason to assume that just b/c score is visible on the AMCAS it is considered, for instance, in the calculation used to offer an interview.

As noted above, each individual school determines how they use the score as well as if and when scores expire. I believe the AMCAS app shows All MCAT scores you've gotten. Sometimes this information is listed on the school's website. I don't know if the MSAR has this info or not. You could always contact the school and ask.

The thing about it is that even though a school may technically not consider scores older than x years, if its still there on display in your app that human beings are reviewing, you can imagine it might have some subtle or unconscious influence even if its not supposed to be a factor.

I did see something regarding the switch to the new test and that scores from the old version will no longer be automatically sent at a certain point like 2017 or 2018 . Then there was a note that if you needed an older score, you could still request that it be sent (I'm guessing this would be in a case where you take the current exam in jan 2015 apply in 2018 and the school accepts MCAT scores up to 3-4 years old or something maybe)

Reactions: 1 user
I'll grant your extreme example has merit, but let's talk about more realistic things. Scores will be averaged at some schools because that's their policy, and they also have surpluses of qualified applicants. In your case the 37 -> 27 would NOT fare well at an MD school that does AVG'ing because of the extreme knowledge decay.

AdComs aren't blind to history, but with a surplus of qualified candidates, med schools can afford to turn away someone who would avg. a 32 in your scenario. Nor are they idiots, and someone who went from a 27 to a 37 over a 10 year period would probably be cut some slack.

I agree that they are on the record. However, by your explanation, if you have a 10 year old score that's a 37 and one from this year that's a 27, a school that takes the "best score" will use your 37 and a school that averages will give you 32, and that would seem to defy the meaning of "expired". Since schools can manipulate all of this info by computer, I see no reason to assume that just b/c score is visible on the AMCAS it is considered, for instance, in the calculation used to offer an interview.

I'll grant your extreme example has merit, but let's talk about more realistic things. Scores will be averaged at some schools because that's their policy, and they also have surpluses of qualified applicants. In your case the 37 -> 27 would NOT fare well at an MD school that does AVG'ing because of the extreme knowledge decay.

AdComs aren't blind to history, but with a surplus of qualified candidates, med schools can afford to turn away someone who would avg. a 32 in your scenario. Nor are they idiots, and someone who went from a 27 to a 37 over a 10 year period would probably be cut some slack.

Thank you. I went from a 28 (expired) to a 33. I wonder if that 27 is holding me back. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

My score decreased from a 34 (2009) to a 30 (2014) while still remaining balanced. I'm hoping adcoms will be able to say "Okay, when this content was a little more fresh in his mind he did considerably better, but even 5 years later he can still put up something respectable"

So I've been having a tough time deciding to retake as my ECs may not be enough to make up for a 30

Also

Brings up the interesting point that the admissions process is a constant struggle between the interpreting the objective and subjective qualities of every applicant. Not a job I would want.

My score decreased from a 34 (2009) to a 30 (2014) while still remaining balanced. I'm hoping adcoms will be able to say "Okay, when this content was a little more fresh in his mind he did considerably better, but even 5 years later he can still put up something respectable"

So I've been having a tough time deciding to retake as my ECs may not be enough to make up for a 30

Also

Brings up the interesting point that the admissions process is a constant struggle between the interpreting the objective and subjective qualities of every applicant. Not a job I would want.

I don't think this bodes well for you. It's not a point different, it's entirely different.

Given your GPA etc, you might be okay depending on where you're looking, but...

I don't think this bodes well for you. It's not a point different, it's entirely different.

Given your GPA etc, you might be okay depending on where you're looking, but...

You don't think that being 6-8 years removed from the pre-reqs will carry any weight? I think you've neglected to put it into context.

The most important context will be the current applicant pool

Exactly, and MCAT scores have been going up not down.

Ceteris Paribus, you're a worse applicant than you were before. Now if you have recent coursework where you did as well if not better than undergrad, then that's a good thing. And yes, EC's matter and are important.