Explain Bad Grades in Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discowisco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this advised or discouraged? I have no traumatic reason for my Cs but obviously the whole cliche "how I shaped my life together" story

Members don't see this ad.

Don't, if you bring attention to it, adcoms will always have it in the back of their mind, rather let them question you about it if the situation arises and give your answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do if you have a good reason that works well with your overall message. For example my statement reflects how I was distracted and depressed through freshman and sophomore year from my mother passing away from cancer, this implies the bad grades, but then talked about my desire and growth as my grades dramatically improved junior and senior year. So it half explains and half shows the person you are. It's honest. Personal statements should show you positively so if you can't explain well in your story As to why you got Cs other than being lazy than don't draw attention to it like said above. However it's not like adcoms aren't going to notice it

Don't, if you bring attention to it, adcoms will always have it in the back of their mind, rather let them question you about it if the situation arises and give your answer.

+1

You can infer reasons, but don't specifically refer to your grades. AdComs will see your grades and ask you about them in an interview if they have any pressing questions. Your space is limited, use it wisely.

I would keep your personal statement as positive as possible.

Survivor DO

For better or worse, I'm mentioning a time when my academic performance declined and how I redeemed my grades. Without mentioning this part, my story will be lacking. Plus I have been revising this PS continuously for the past couple months. It has been through many revisions. I don't want to make radical changes at this point.

However, I agree with the above posters. If one can tell a good story without the need of mentioning negative things, then he/she should do that.

Personally, I took responsibility for my first two years of school and blatantly stated that I didn't grow up when I hit college (mediocre grades galore, even a D in Calc 2), but that was restricted to my intro paragraph and I quickly flipped it toward the positive direction. If it's an important part of your decision to pursue medicine, and as long as you don't dwell on topic for the entire PS. I don't see an issue with mentioning it.

I'm applying both DO and MD. Everything I've read anywhere says that if you have bad grades (not just a B- for you neurotic pre-meds out there, but multiple C's or something), it's a huge red flag if you don't explain it. I think whether or not you need to touch on it depends upon how bad they are and to what degree they impact your competitiveness. Mine are REALLY bad, so I needed to talk about how I realized that my minimal effort in school was precluding my dream of becoming a doctor, and described how I came back from it by working my ass off, doing really well on the MCAT, getting my EMT licenses, etc. This took 2 sentences.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying both DO and MD. Everything I've read anywhere says that if you have bad grades (not just a B- for you neurotic pre-meds out there, but multiple C's or something), it's a huge red flag if you don't explain it. I think whether or not you need to touch on it depends upon how bad they are and to what degree they impact your competitiveness. Mine are REALLY bad, so I needed to talk about how I realized that my minimal effort in school was precluding my dream of becoming a doctor, and described how I came back from it by working my ass off, doing really well on the MCAT, getting my EMT licenses, etc. This took 2 sentences.

I'm in a similar boat and that was what I was thinking, my grades my first two years weren't too hot (multiple C's) but had a large improvement starting my junior year.

I feel like it would be worse to not own up to it because they will see it as not acknowledging your shortcomings or maybe they'll think you don't have an issue with those grades, IDK.

edit: but then again I don't have a super great reason either and don't think it would flow well with my PS like this guy so I'm torn

Do if you have a good reason that works well with your overall message. For example my statement reflects how I was distracted and depressed through freshman and sophomore year from my mother passing away from cancer, this implies the bad grades, but then talked about my desire and growth as my grades dramatically improved junior and senior year. So it half explains and half shows the person you are. It's honest. Personal statements should show you positively so if you can't explain well in your story As to why you got Cs other than being lazy than don't draw attention to it like said above. However it's not like adcoms aren't going to notice it

For me, I didn't feel road bumps as far as grades were that important since I was talking about my friends dying, war, kids, and medicine. I figured course activity and trends sort of speak for themselves. I look at the PS as something that should be the one place where you don't address academia or steps you took to get into medical school. That's what the rest of the application is for. I wouldn't put any excuses in any shape or form on a PS.

My 2 cents

edit: but then again I don't have a super great reason either and don't think it would flow well with my PS like this guy so I'm torn

Excuses are excuses, period. I don't think it's easy for anyone to work it in to their overall message, but I think it's worth trying. Maybe your devotion to being a doctor helped you mature enough to try and fix your errors, or maybe persisting in your desire to become a doctor despite the disadvantage of poor grades speaks to your passion for medicine.

War, dying, and all that stuff might be incredibly moving, but even great writing won't do much to impress adcoms if you aren't making a case for why you want to become a doctor and what would make you a great one. For anyone with significant flaws on their record, I don't see how you can make a convincing case without acknowledging mistakes and showing how you've moved past them

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuses are excuses, period. I don't think it's easy for anyone to work it in to their overall message, but I think it's worth trying. Maybe your devotion to being a doctor helped you mature enough to try and fix your errors, or maybe persisting in your desire to become a doctor despite the disadvantage of poor grades speaks to your passion for medicine.

War, dying, and all that stuff might be incredibly moving, but even great writing won't do much to impress adcoms if you aren't making a case for why you want to become a doctor and what would make you a great one. For anyone with significant flaws on their record, I don't see how you can make a convincing case without acknowledging mistakes and showing how you've moved past them

I don't see how grades have anything to do with anyone wanting to be a physician (well maybe a DO one:naughty:). Just saw you have a 34 MCAT, which in your case would be good to talk about a turn around. My point is that you have to play your strengths, which you're alluding to with your turn around story proven with your amazing MCAT.

I don't see how grades have anything to do with anyone wanting to be a physician (well maybe a DO one:naughty:).

Grades don't, but your entire application has to show that you're capable of becoming one (eg handling the curriculum, passing boards), and if there's a weak area, then you need to address it.

I agree that it sounds awkward addressing it out of nowhere in your personal statement, which is why I think it's important to tie it in to your overall message. The example I was giving was that if you worked hard to change your grades and raised your GPA, it shows that you were willing to put in effort because of [passion for medicine/personal growth and maturity/insert positive quality here] and bam, you have more evidence why you'd be a successful medical student and a competent doctor.

I still disagree, unless it's integral to the way you're writing your PS. You have 4500 characters to sell yourself, spending any amount reasoning out negative points is lost space.

Again, unless it's integral to the way you're writing your PS.

I had several poor marks at the beginning of undergrad and a couple at the end. They definitely came up in interviews, where I was prepared to explain them. Didn't hold me back from getting interviews, though.

+1 to not adding it. It'll probably sound like an excuse, unless you really reflect on why your grades were low, what you did to address your weaknesses, etc. But that will take up a whole lot of valuable PS space, so save all of that for when you're actually asked about it. I'm not part of le adcom, so I might be pulling this out of my rear end, but something like a strong upward trend will probably already suggest that you're able to pull yourself up out of a difficult time period, and if needed, an interviewer may ask you for an explanation later on.

Also, not sure if this will help, but here's a personal statement tip straight from KCOM's website:

"Always consider the tone of the essay - you want to highlight your positive attributes."
"Don't make excuses or beg for an interview."
"Don't harp on the less than stellar qualities of your application - explain any apparent contradictions and move on."

Source linky

Last edited:
Do NOT!

It always appears as if one is making excuses.

Save explanations for the interview.

:bow:

I actually started to do this in my first couple of drafts. My advisor and professor both just put a huge slash mark through it.

I made a brief mention of poorer grades than I desired in my PS, but my PS is of a personal nature where I explain various aspects of my life, growing up, that had a significant impact on both my previous academic performance as well as my growth and passions as a human...all within a day-in-the-life theme.

So far the feedback is that the PS works, it's an enjoyable read, but I needed to add more substance to explain certain aspects and take away some of the daily events.

Hopefully it works.

I did not write my PS in order to impress anyone or to garner an interview. I figured my PS was to explain who I was in 4500 characters, my background and why I would make a great physician...so that is the direction I went :thumbup:

I made a brief mention of poorer grades than I desired in my PS, but my PS is of a personal nature where I explain various aspects of my life, growing up, that had a significant impact on both my previous academic performance as well as my growth and passions as a human...all within a day-in-the-life theme.

So far the feedback is that the PS works, it's an enjoyable read, but I needed to add more substance to explain certain aspects and take away some of the daily events.

Hopefully it works.

I did not write my PS in order to impress anyone or to garner an interview. I figured my PS was to explain who I was in 4500 characters, my background and why I would make a great physician...so that is the direction I went :thumbup:

Same, I touched on it, but I had very good reasons and it ties to everything else (much more substantial than the typical grandma dying sob story).

Goro is adcoms so he knows best, but if you feel that it is somehow pivotal towards your move to medicine, then by all means, add it.

Do NOT!

It always appears as if one is making excuses.

Save explanations for the interview.

:thumbup:

If you don't mind, I'm going to send this to my school's pre-health committee.

They told my letter was unacceptable because 1) I didn't explain a C in organic chemistry 2) I didn't explain the death of a personal family member and its impact on my grades and 3) I didn't explain why I chose to note take summer classes to make up for lost time.

They told me to rewrite my PS to their specifications or no committee letter. I very kindly told them to piss off. :love:

:thumbup:

If you don't mind, I'm going to send this to my school's pre-health committee.

They told my letter was unacceptable because 1) I didn't explain a C in organic chemistry 2) I didn't explain the death of a personal family member and its impact on my grades and 3) I didn't explain why I chose to note take summer classes to make up for lost time.

They told me to rewrite my PS to their specifications or no committee letter. I very kindly told them to piss off. :love:

I am so glad I dodged the committee. I mean I have no idea how tough they are at my school, but I've heard so many general horror stories.

I wouldn't touch on grades. I would focus on why you ARE going to be a physician. Not why you want to be a physician. I think my personal statement got me interviewed. I failed out of college my first go round. No one ever mentioned that. No one asked me about a C in physics. No one asked me why I took Chem1001 3! times. They could see F, C , A. You never see a candidate addressing a scandal. You explain why you are going to be a good doctor. Not why those grades happened. I did highlight that I worked full time my entire academic career. I highlighted that I joined the Army after my first year.

Your academic record stands alone. Your personal statement gets your personality across. Then the interview gets you in. And no one ever mentioned grades or MCAT in my interview. It was much more about what kind of physician I want to be. What I want from the school. etc.

Anyone else see the article on the main page? The one where it says the personal statement is the perfect place to explain why if you have a spotted academic record?

Anyone else see the article on the main page? The one where it says the personal statement is the perfect place to explain why if you have a spotted academic record?

And I continue to disagree with the author.

I can see the pros and cons of both sides - its really a fine line. I semi-passively addressed poor grades in my PS. This is what I wrote:

Re-focused on what I had been so interested in from such a young age I began applying myself more diligently. I seriously committed to changing my study habits and became much more focused and devoted. Taking a more active role in my education, I supplemented my pre-med courses in pursuing related interests in psychology and neuroscience and becoming active in research. I began to consistently make the Dean's list, and was inducted into the Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology.

But in IMO it should really focus on why medicine. I got very positive feedback on my PS from the school where I interviewed and those I had review it. I'm tweeking my PS for this next application cycle and will likely alter this, if not cut it completely and try and focus more on why medicine. If bad grades really have an important role into why medicine and how you got to where you are now than I would say there is no harm in mentioning it, so long as it is brief, shows responsability/maturity, and is devoid of anything that may even possibly be perceived as an excuse.

I can see the pros and cons of both sides - its really a fine line. I semi-passively addressed poor grades in my PS. This is what I wrote:

Re-focused on what I had been so interested in from such a young age I began applying myself more diligently. I seriously committed to changing my study habits and became much more focused and devoted. Taking a more active role in my education, I supplemented my pre-med courses in pursuing related interests in psychology and neuroscience and becoming active in research. I began to consistently make the Dean’s list, and was inducted into the Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology.

But in IMO it should really focus on why medicine. I got very positive feedback on my PS from the school where I interviewed and those I had review it. I'm tweeking my PS for this next application cycle and will likely alter this, if not cut it completely and try and focus more on why medicine. If bad grades really have an important role into why medicine and how you got to where you are now than I would say there is no harm in mentioning it, so long as it is brief, shows responsability/maturity, and is devoid of anything that may even possibly be perceived as an excuse.

that one isn't bad at all

that one isn't bad at all

I think it depends on how bad your grades are, and how much they affect your chances. With my 2.97 sGPA there's a good chance I won't be granted interviews during which I might explain myself, so I thought I might as well get it over with in the PS. Here's what I wrote:

College tested the strength of this conviction. My attempt to coast through my classes with minimal effort or planning failed miserably, and I assumed the damage I had done to my GPA put my dreams of becoming a doctor out of reach. However, I was unable to let go of the ambition had been steadily germinating over the years. As a second-semester senior, I redoubled my academic efforts, shouldering through the constant self-doubt and grueling study marathons with a strength I scarcely thought myself capable of. Each successive triumph—obtaining my EMT licenses, mastering my MCAT, earning A’s in my post-baccalaureate courses—has built my confidence in my ability to succeed.

I don't see this as an excuse so much as a defense of the change I've undergone since my mistakes as an undergrad.

Don't do it...
If they have questions they'll ask you... don't put it in...
The ONLY thing that your PS should have in it is WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO TO MED SCHOOL! Nothing else...

Don't do it...
If they have questions they'll ask you... don't put it in...
The ONLY thing that your PS should have in it is WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO TO MED SCHOOL! Nothing else...

US News and World Report - see #6

Yale UCS "The Art of the AMCAS Essay": Devoting too much of the personal statement to excuses or interpretations of your transcript is repetitive
and virtually worthless. State a problem briefly and then move on to statements about what you can do.

Harvard Career Services lecture (Special Situations slide): "Judgement call: eliminate big question marks or gaps in readers' minds
◦ Fluctuations in performance
◦ Major changes in direction
◦ Hardship affecting academic record
◦ Personal medical situation"

Getting into Medical School with a Low GPA strategy 3: "spin it in your AMCAS essay"

Old Pre-Meds success story of a non-trad applicant who was accepted with a 2.65:
"I like to write and so I went through a few drafts of my personal statement... settled on something that THOROUGHLY addressed my UG failures and pivoted to the future and my current drive/determination."

You could make an argument in a lot of cases for ignoring the few C's you got, but for those with glaring red flags in their applications, many sources agree that you need to justify why you are still a qualified applicant