Step I explain these medical student meanings

Started by iki4life
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iki4life

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
some medical student studying terminology I've come across this board and feel so stupid not knowing what they mean-

1. on uworld, theres an option of proxy and no proxy. whats the difference?

2. on nmbe, theres online and offline. whats the difference?

3. whats the difference between studying and dedicated studying?

4. when someone says "I'm 3 weeks out", does that mean 3 weeks till the exam?

THANK YOU. these stupid little things have been bugging me when i read forums and i feel like i don't even understand what people are saying.
 
From what I know (though I am no expert):

1. Proxy vs. No proxy - I believe proxies just hide your location (mask your IP address) so not really sure this matters in any context
2. Online vs Offline - ONLINE is the Comprehensive Basic science exams you buy from the NBME website. Offline NBMEs I believe are nbme forms that are floating around as documents that people have created and they have answer keys which are usually riddled with errors (basically don't do these)
3. Studying vs Dedicated - Studying is during regular school when you make time for step studying along with your class work. Dedicated is the time you take SOLELY to study for Step and is when you have no other tests/school work
4. Yes, you hit the nail on the head

Hope this helps put your mind at ease 🙂 Good luck!