explain this NSAID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fungi121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me explain why NSAIDs are bad to give to people in congestive heart failure or the really elderly? This question I did told me this in the answer but aside from guesswork knowledge, I couldn't explain it too well....

I understand why no NSAIDs for renal failure and for GI issues but I can't explain CHF or elderly...!

Members don't see this ad.

NSAIDs block PG production in kidney --> less dilation of afferent arteriole --> less RBF --> activation of renin/AT system --> increased BP

That's my understanding

NSAIDs block PG production in kidney --> less dilation of afferent arteriole --> less RBF --> activation of renin/AT system --> increased BP

That's my understanding

Hm....the RAAS would increase afterload making it more difficult for the failing heart, perhaps?

That's my understanding

continuing on this, this also leads to increased fluid retention which is obviously bad in heart failure.

as far as the elderly, I think there was a trial that showed NSAIDS in the elderly used chronically almost doubled CV mortality (and not just COX2 selective). I also think that the rates of GI bleed and ulcers are much higher in the elderly. not sure the exact mechanism for these though, but I think NSAIDS still carry a black box warning for both of these