Explaining extenuating circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SleepinMongoose

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan to apply for PT school this Summer but I am very worried about how my apps may be perceived. Through undergrad I was part of the university disability program due to issues with my lungs, and at the end of my undergrad I legally took custody of my nephew. There were many days where studying couldn't be priority. I ended up with a 3.68 and I know that on most statements you can explain issues with grades. I'm wondering how I do this to illustrate the severity of the situation without making it seem like a sob story. I've taken the year off since graduating to focus on my health and I've had miraculous improvements so I feel ready.

Thank you
 
I agree with above. There is a small section but I don't think a 3.6 warrants a description. Instead I might work some parts of your story into your essay or interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bring it up during the interview process, you certainly will get one. Bring it up when they ask you what is important to you so you don't come off as whiny.
that's an amazing thing you did while you were not well and will demonstrate to the admissions committee the kind of person you are.

Don't worry. You will do fine.
 
I plan to apply for PT school this Summer but I am very worried about how my apps may be perceived. Through undergrad I was part of the university disability program due to issues with my lungs, and at the end of my undergrad I legally took custody of my nephew. There were many days where studying couldn't be priority. I ended up with a 3.68 and I know that on most statements you can explain issues with grades. I'm wondering how I do this to illustrate the severity of the situation without making it seem like a sob story. I've taken the year off since graduating to focus on my health and I've had miraculous improvements so I feel ready.

Thank you