explaining low grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlspowerss

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you explain a low grade on your transcript on a secondary question... without coming off as making an excuse or whiny?
Whats the best way?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you explain a low grade on your transcript on a secondary question... without coming off as making an excuse or whiny?
Whats the best way?

I'd say only address it when directly asked. In the words of LizzyM, you don't go on a first date and point out a zit on your face.

what do you mean
could you please elaborate

i dont know why that angry smiley is there
im not angry lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For example, UCF COM's secondary asks:
If you have experienced academic difficulties while in college, please briefly explain the circumstances and provide information about any grades below "B minus" or course withdrawals.

I received a C+ in two courses... :(

For example, UCF COM's secondary asks:
If you have experienced academic difficulties while in college, please briefly explain the circumstances and provide information about any grades below "B minus" or course withdrawals.

I received a C+ in two courses... :(

OK, what were the circumstances surounding those C+ courses. Why did you get C+?

I sincerely tried my best in the courses but I could not earn As in the class... I would honestly study over 4 hours a day for these classes
During the majority of the course I earned consistent Bs... but the final was very hard and I got a C-... so that brought me to a C+
Also it was the same semester that I transferred schools

thanks
what if one of the C's was in a science class?

This is one thing I will have to do as well, because I am retaking a bunch of science courses I didn't do well in my first 2 years of college.

Basically, it helps a WHOLE lot if you show an increased trend in your GPA so that it demonstrates that you got your act together.

My reason was this - explaining C's and C+'s, and when I retook I got A's.

I came out of high school as one of the top in my class, and from my standpoint I never had to try over and above to achieve the best grades in the class. It was something that came naturally and I was successful floating by on my knowledge until college began. In my first year of college, I did the same thing as I did in high school and realized that it didn't work out so well for me. The transition into college was something that I personally was not ready for. It took me awhile to finally gain the study habits that I needed in order to be the top student in my class, but once I realized the right strategy things started working out. So, in essence, I had to learn and implement the study habits that I never had in high school, and I've grown a great deal since freshman year in terms of maturity and responsibility when it comes to courses. Once I figured out a good study strategy, I went back and retook some science courses as well as tested myself with new upper level science courses, and I did just fine - proving to myself that this wasn't necessarily a problem with my intelligence or determination, but just in the quality of my study habits - which have greatly improved.

Stress personal growth and that you are more mature and responsible from the situation you were in.

so... I went from a 3.1 freshman year and jumped about .2 each year thereafter. I earned 2 C's. I was thinking of discussing the upward trend and poor grades freshman year, but I don't have any real excuses except for new environment, didn't adjust well, wasn't focused... blah blah. Should I discuss even though they just say discuss poor grades?