Explaining Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagicSkittles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying to medical school currently (secondaries...arghhhhh!). In preparation for the interview, I was wondering how to explain the research portion of my experiences? Especially for clinical research (although advice on basic is welcomed as well...probably pretty similar, but emphasizing different things I suppose).

1) How did you explain your own research and in what depth? Big picture, your specific project, include all the jargon?
2) What sort of questions about your research did the interviewers ask?
3) How do you prepare for questions on your work that seem completely random & confuse you? (I've had previous research interviews where it *feels* like the PIs are testing my knowledge of previous projects, and they seem to be escalating the difficulty of their questions to assess me).

I feel comfortable explaining the material to my own peers, but, in comparison to professionals who know a lot more about the big picture and can "grill" me on anything, I'd be pretty nervous. I've read the previous posts on this topic before, but hoping to start a fresh thread on it and gain more insight.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.